For anyone who doesn't understand the appeal of banjo-ukes and Formby-style playing..

Why do I even try? Haha. Excellent playing. I will get the split stroke down...I WILL!

Got it Lesley!!! I think that's John Bianchi's son. :)

Played like that the instrument is wonderful. Played like many of us play an ukulele? Not so much. :)

I'd be happy to have a bunch of recordings of playing like this, but would never own the instrument - I couldn't get sounds like that out of one. :p

Played like that the instrument is wonderful. Played like many of us play an ukulele? Not so much. :)

I'd be happy to have a bunch of recordings of playing like this, but would never own the instrument - I couldn't get sounds like that out of one. :p

Yes. Epic 10-finger strum! Regardless of what you like, you have to appreciate that performance. The difficulty in that song lies not in the chords but in the technique... awesome, love me some' folk/formby.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
It's a little embarassing for one of my uke heros to be young enough to be my great-grandson

I feel the same way. His playing is amazing, but I feel like I will never achieve anything close on my banjo-uke.

I shouldn't say I would "never" own one... if my son showed interest and promise in that direction, I'd probably buy one. :)

But it certainly wouldn't be for me to attempt to play.

Who is that?? Amazing!! I can't find it on YouTube..

I still don't understand the appeal of banjo-ukes and Fromby-style playing but who cares as there's plenty that like it. :p

Tommy bland is great. I've learned how to do a triple by watching his tutorial! And yes--I find it's far easier to do triples on my ukes with action set really low.

Wow! Thanks for sharing that. Great to see kids spending time doing something productive.

I still don't understand the appeal of banjo-ukes and Fromby-style playing but who cares as there's plenty that like it. :p

I understand what you are saying.

As it happens, I do like George Formby. I saw a lot of his movies as a kid and I always enjoyed the songs and particularly those banjo uke solos but it's not what I want from the uke, my musical interests are different.

Top Bottom