Neck design question

finkdaddy

Reaction score
What is the area called where the bottom of the neck meets the bottom of the headstock?

Up until now, my neck radius just blends into the bottom of the headstock. But I love seeing ukes where the luthier has made that area a nice feature by giving it a more defined shape.

For those of you that do that, what method do you use to create that feature?
Do you just mark the neck with a pencil and carfully sand until the shape is there, or is there some other way that would work better?

~Fred

Its a Volute
I've started doing that on my last few builds. Now that I can actually use a chisel its a very satisfying detail to do. I just pencil the peak and rough saw the neck profile on the bandsaw. Then thin the headstock and 1st fret area to the final dimension, leaving the peak. Then just carve it by eye with a chisel.
The only critical parts are to leave room for the tuners on the headstock and make sure its not in my thumb area when I hold the neck.

Attachments

• volute.jpg
    volute.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 68
That transitional area is called "the hand stop area", and a volute is but one way to deal with that. If you do carve a volute, be sure not to have it interfere with first position chording.

The Martin guitar "dart" is another way to decorate and reinforce the hand stop area, and it's a vestigal reminder of the original peghead joint from the early 1800's.

My fave is the "back strap overlay" as done on high end banjos of the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

I came from a guitar building background and did a volute on my first 1/2 dozen ukes, until I got some comments from really good players saying that it interfered with some chords in the first position. So I went to the smoother transition with the back strap that Rick mentions and make it a feature.

Rear of Peg Head.jpg

I came from a guitar building background and did a volute on my first 1/2 dozen ukes, until I got some comments from really good players saying that it interfered with some chords in the first position. So I went to the smoother transition with the back strap that Rick mentions and make it a feature.

View attachment 49268
Wow, Allen. That looks terrific!
I had read that some players didn't like the volute, so that is certainly a very classy option to give the back of the neck some character.

Is it hard to make the veneer on back look even? I would love to try that, but I would be worried that when I started finish sanding that I would ruin the symmetry of the shape.

It's actually pretty easy to make it look symmetrical. If you can make one without that back strap have a nice smooth transition into the head stock, then this just might be even easier because you are getting a good visual representation of your progress.

Wow, Allen. That looks terrific!
I had read that some players didn't like the volute, so that is certainly a very classy option to give the back of the neck some character.

Is it hard to make the veneer on back look even? I would love to try that, but I would be worried that when I started finish sanding that I would ruin the symmetry of the shape.

Don't be worried about such things, just try them. You have nothing to lose but a little chunk of wood, and much to gain in terms of evolving your chops. I wish I'd done a lot less contemplating and a lot more trying during my life.

Top Bottom