Any tips of repairing small cosmetic damage?

Reaction score
Got a new ukulele, it fell down today and took two small dents. There's no chipped wood or damaged paint, just indented. I wasn't sure if anyone had any tricks for repairing these?

Got a new ukulele, it fell down today and took two small dents. There's no chipped wood or damaged paint, just indented. I wasn't sure if anyone had any tricks for repairing these?
Post some pictures so we can assess the damage.

Stewart -McDonald has a "Tips" section. One of them was about dings. Since you say there is no colour damage, you can go the the next step of filling the holes with clear fingernail polish on a pin head, or toothpick,depending how big the ding is. Let it dry until the center dimples down a bit. refill it and let it dry until the "holes" are now just a little higher than the rest of the woodwork around it.

Here's the neat part....put cellophane tape (scotch tape) on the edge of a single edge razor blade with the center that you want to scrape down left untaped. Lightly scrape the dried nail polish until the edges are almost as flat as the undinged
surrounding area,. They go over it with 1800 -2000 wet or dry paper until it is the same height and shine as the finish on the rest of the car. I did it on a vry nice little soprano I dropped onto some gravel and got two stars. Let the polish dry for at least 12 hours before you try to scrape or sand it.

Bill Thompson 503-364-0854

I have used a damp paper towel heated by microwaving for 20 sec to lift out a small dent on a uke. Repeating sometimes helps.

Scratches in a gloss finish can be lessened with burnishing compound (I use Howard's brand).

YMMV.

Top Bottom