New Uke Day! Pono ATSHC-C Pro Classic

aquadan

Reaction score
All those letters stand for Acacia Tenor Slot Head Cutaway Cedar Top Pro Classic. *whew*

Macmuse, here on the forum, tried to buy an ATC blem from HMS for me for Valentine's Day, but just missed it. Andrew fired back with an AT but we really wanted a cedar top. Andrew looked around some more and came back with this micro-blem. A few more emails and some pictures flew back and forth and we went for it.

Side note: I don't really think Andrew ever sleeps, answering emails at all times of day & night. This our 2nd great experience buying from HMS, I have no doubt that when UAS strikes again we'll satisfy it there.

First Impressions:
- After some searching, I found the blem on the back of the headstock, but you have to have it in just the right light to even notice it. You'd have to be really picky to complain about it at full price.
- It has nice intonation all the way up the neck, and the cutaway is a great feature even though I won't be making much use of it any time soon
- I'm not much of a fan of bling, this has just enough and the gloss finish, binding and rosette are lovely.
- It's strung with high-g Ko'olau Golds right now. I'm not sure yet whether this or my Pono MT is will end up being low g. the MT is for now.
- It's very resonant, more so than my MT. The sound is quite different which was the goal, and I think I'm going to love it.
- I wasn't expecting this, but the new Pro Classics have a radiused fretboard. I'm looking forward to seeing how this helps with barre chords.

atshc.jpgatshc-2.jpg

Last edited:
:iwant: looks like an instant classic.....let's hear it.

Let us know how you like the radius after you've played the ukulele for awhile. Congrats!

:iwant: looks like an instant classic.....let's hear it.

It may take me a while yet before I like my playing enough to post something here. So in the mean time here's Corey from HMS playing an identical one
https://vimeo.com/59840322

Let us know how you like the radius after you've played the ukulele for awhile. Congrats!

I'm very frustrated! Tendonitis has decided to flare up in my left wrist, so at the moment the uke is sitting in its stand taunting me. Hoping I can get a little time with it tomorrow. I probably should just put it back inside the case, but if I can't play it tonight, at least I can enjoy looking at it.

Missed it?

All those letters stand for Acacia Tenor Slot Head Cutaway Cedar Top Pro Classic. *whew*

Macmuse, here on the forum, tried to buy an ATC blem from HMS for me for Valentine's Day, but just missed it.

Hmmm, wonder if I got the ATC-C blem you were looking for? Picked it up in store a couple three weeks ago. The blems on it are insignificant and that thing is a regular vibrator! I've never played a new instrument so much.

Yours is a gem, though, way more prettier 'fer sure than my commoner Pono;)

Beautiful!! I love slot heads, and the figuring on the acacia is exceptional!

Wow, that's gorgeous. I'm leaning more and more towards a Pono...someday...

Hmmm, wonder if I got the ATC-C blem you were looking for? Picked it up in store a couple three weeks ago. The blems on it are insignificant and that thing is a regular vibrator! I've never played a new instrument so much.

Yours is a gem, though, way more prettier 'fer sure than my commoner Pono;)

From the sound of things, that's probably what happened.

I am still very happy with my 'commoner' pono, it doesn't have the flash, but it sounds and looks great, and isn't going to be pushed off into a corner anytime soon.

Top Bottom