Advice for a noob?

Aside

Reaction score
I apologize in advance for the fact that I tend to be unnecessarily long winded.

The other day I couldn't sleep and when I can't sleep I do crazy thing that I wouldn't normally do, like randomly buy an ukulele (is it a or an. it's a vowel so it should be an but it sounds wrong. I digress). Anyway, I have no intention to play the ukulele before this and quite frankly I thought it was a dream when I woke up the next morning and checked my bank account. It really happened.

Anyway, I got a used Lanikai LU-21 on ebay for $30 plus shipping, so like $40. It came yesterday. It doesn't sound as impressive as I heard it did on youtube but that was online and I don't know if it's my inability to strum properly/it needs new strings/condition problems. I inspected it and it seems to be in pretty good shape, I haven't spotted anything that seems wrong, but then again I know nothing about ukuleles.

Anyway, the point is I now have a ukulele so I figure I should learn to play it. I've been reading and watching videos online ut I get frustrated easily and I don't really know where to start. I know the information is floating around and I've been reading through threads but sometimes it's nice to have some advice directed at you, y'know?

also, anyone have any suggestions for good first songs. I want something that is going to interest me more than twinkle, twinkly little star. I've been practicing some basic cords.

Buy some new strings, and an electronic tuner.
Scorpex might be a good place for you to look for songs. Also, uke minutes in the video library will help.
http://ukuleleunderground.com/

Thanks guys. I ordered a gig bag that came with a think it was a fender tuner. That should be here in a couple days. I've been using aptuner in the meantime.

I spent a while playing the last two days since it arrived but I'm planning on keeping up daily as much as possible. (college classes/clubs can take up a lot of time. Also, playing with my roommate in the room makes me a little uncomfortable at least until I get a little better.

Hi, I know that it is quite a popular song, but my first song to learn (absolute beginner, never played a musical instrument before) was Somewhere over the rainbow. Some easy chords and the more challenging Em but keep at it and it's a song most people recognise. There are quite a few You Tube videos on strumming, chord playing etc which is also a great help.
Hope this helps. Happy strumming.

Rachael

Slowly practice

Don't compare yourself currently to how you hear others play. You will eventually get to a level where the sound will be more consistent and the sound becoming more sweet. Those uke players you see playing either on youtube or gigs have put in lots of time in practicing. Main thing when you practice, especially since you are first learning is to go at your pace. Don't rush to learn difficult things first, just go slow and practice strumming, forming chords, and getting used to holding the uke. Over time you will be more comfortable and things will be second nature.

I second the above...I had been playing for about 2 months before I stumbled on this..I used this as a drills session initially...then I tried to play it melodically (putting some personality into it)...I found after doing this for a week or so it helped me enormously on other songs. I still suck but the chord changes have improved.

BTW the LU21's sound find with some Aquila Nylgut strings on them (i know that its a personal preference ) I have 3 models of this (with the Luna pickup/tuner) ..my kids are always grabbing ukes so had to have a few on hand.

When I started playing, I picked a song that I really liked (that song happened to be Rivers of Babylon) that seemed to be on the easy level. That's the only song that I played for the first few weeks. The joy that it brought me to be able to play one of my favorite songs was enough of a kick start for me to keep playing. I guess what I'm saying is, pick a few songs that really want to learn how to play, find one of those that is fairly easy (not a lot of intricate playing....largely chord based without a ton of chord changes), and start working on it.

When I was teaching guitar, I found that the kids were a lot more likely to stick with it if they were playing something that they genuinely wanted to play rather than a song that I thought would be a good piece to learn on.

Awe you don't like Twinkle Twinkle little star....YOU have to to put in your dues.....Unless you're a natural...you have to learn the basics first and nursery
rhymes is the best way to go because you know the rhythm ,lyrics and timing when you sing...most important...if you try harder songs now, you may get
disappointed and quit...Better to learn the basics first....Happy Strummings...

Awe Stan, You can learn the basics with easy songs that aren't nursery rhymes. I remember learning, the then very difficult, Sloop John B.
Aside, Any three chord song in the key of C should do ya. Check out Dr. Ukes website at www.doctoruke.com/songs.html or just google Dr Uke

My first uke was a little Lanikai LU 11. Have Fun!

Last edited:
I would recommend the Hal Leonard Ukulele Method books. I had my first uke for 5 months before I got the first book, and I learned so much more in the first week or two with that book than I had in all of the months before then. Incidentally, I have been taking lessons for 3 months now, have gone through both method books, and for my lesson this week I am working on...Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. It can be surprisingly pretty (and challenging) when played with arpeggios. Keep you mind open, learn where ever you can, and enjoy this little instrument. In no time at all, you will find yourself wanting to take it with you everywhere.

Awe Stan, You can learn the basics with easy songs that aren't nursery rhymes. I remember learning, the then very difficult, Sloop John B.
Aside, Any three chord song in the key of C should do ya.

This is kind of what I was getting at....guess I'm not very articulate. :)

As I am also a newbie and have been playing for two weeks on a ukulele now, I have some advice.
-Play every day for as long as you can.
-Learn the basic chords.
-Don't be put off when trying to learn a chord because it hurts your fingers. You'll be surprised how quickly you get used to playing the chord.
-Have fun and beware, ukulele playing is addictive! I haven't done my Spanish essay yet and it's due in soon! XD

Aside, Any three chord song in the key of C should do ya. Check out Dr. Ukes website at www.doctoruke.com/songs.html or just google Dr Uke

My first uke was a little Lanikai LU 11. Have Fun!
Aloha Roxie,
Yes anybody can play chords...but keeping the rhythm and tempo is what I am stressing...nursery rhymes is the way to start off...believe me he he
if you wanna play better and sound better, this is the way to go...you need the foundation first....

Different strings may help the sound. Aquilas are available in lots of music stores and sound good on your lanikai.

As far as a starter song, I like to use Jambalaya. http://www.kanikapila.us/Lyrics/Jambalaya.pdf
Most people know it and you just need to know C and G.

If you learn C, F, G, and G7 you can find lots of songs out there to play

Just make sure you have fun. That's what it's all about.

Keep us posted

Thanks for the responses guys.

I just downloaded the boot camp pdf and I will attack it later when I have some free time.

The thing with twinkle twinkle little star isn't that I tried plaing it but I just found my interest kind of waning which is why I was looking for other songs.

Great advice here already (changing strings is the easiest and most astonishing change you can make in the sound.)

I recommend, in addition to the electronic tuner that has been mentioned, a book of progressive exercises that takes you step by step to better playing. The one I got the most results from was Mark Nelson's book of progressive songs (also teaches about various styles and includes all kinds of music from classical to Hawaiian, etc.) I found the book a lot more useful than the videos at first, because watching and playing were not easy, and switching between was annoying. I simply propped the book on a music stand (which I also recommend you get) and played the songs in the book until I mastered them.

I'm glad you have Uncle Rod's Boot Camp. Do what Uncle Rod tells you and you won't be sorry.

Two further points, and I apologize them if someone said this and I missed it, but they are important. One, practice just a few minutes every day at first. Longer if you feel like it, but if you can only do five or ten minutes, that's fine. And two, practice SLOWLY. Don't try to see how quickly you can make chord changes; try to make them smooth and consistent. Use a metronome (there are many free metronomes online) if you need to, but keep a steady, consistent pace. If you try to speed up, out of boredom or just because you can, it will slow you down in the long run when you try playing more challenging songs and find your chord changes are not smooth.

Have fun, though! You will progress more quickly than you expect.

Hello and welcome to the UU! The LU21 is a fine uke-I still play mine all the time even though I have upgraded. Aquila strings will sound great on it-remember it takes a few days for them to settle in so you will have to tune it frequently.

Search YouTube for beginner videos (Michael Lynch is a great instructor) and don't forget right here on Ukulele Underground has great videos too. Someone said it earlier-play everyday! Even if 5 minutes is all you can spare-do it. You will be suprised how quick it starts to come together. Good luck and have fun!

Top Bottom