You know Bohemian Rhapsody is tough to play when....

Dan Uke

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I am in line waiting for Jake's signature so have time to post on UU but he messed up and screamed Aaarrrgggghhhh and stopped! I didn't even think it was the hardest part of the song. He started again in the middle of the song.

Even the pros mess up once in awhile.

Must have been a LONG tour. It's interesting he would do that.

It probably shows that he's a perfectionist as it wasn't an obvious mistake and I would have had no idea that he made one. At first, I thought it was part of the show but you could tell from his body language. After the song and the crowd clapping, he said we were too kind and at the end of the show, he said next time he won't make a mistake....Yeah, I think this might have been the last stop as he was heading back to Hawaii tomorrow.

Last edited:
It probably shows that he's a perfectionist as it wasn't an obvious mistake and I would have had no idea that he made one. At first, I thought it was part of the show but you could tell from his body language.

Quite possibly. I have always been told; play through your mistakes as most if the time they won't be noticed.

It could be that he felt It was too big a mistake to ignore.

If I had stopped at all of my mistakes I don't think I ever would have completed a song.:)

Sounds like he had a brain fart. Serious professional mistake to NOT play through his mistake. 2 wrongs don't make a right.

Maybe its the end of a long tour.

Anthony

I hate to even say that because it is so incredibly hard to play let alone remember all the voicings: his only slight mistake (do I sound like the flipping uke police rather than just being quiet and enjoying the concert) when I saw him was also during this piece.

Usually performers are trained to push on past mistakes, under the theory that an audience won't know unless you tell them. On stage, actors do it all the time. In TV, film, likewise. Jake must feel really comfortable with himself and his relationship with the audience to be able to do this, which I find interesting.

Reminds me of the story about the romantic composer Franz Schubert. He was playing a difficult passsage in one of his piano sonatas and stopped suddenly in the middle and yelled out, "Let the devil play this, cause I certainly can't!" hehe

Gotta luv ol' Schubbie! hehe

Petey

he messed up and screamed Aaarrrgggghhhh and stopped! I didn't even think it was the hardest part of the song. He started again in the middle of the song.

Maybe he was just using his poetic/artistic license and performing his own screamo (or pirate rock) remix? Argh! :)

Reminds me of the story about the romantic composer Franz Schubert. He was playing a difficult passsage in one of his piano sonatas and stopped suddenly in the middle and yelled out, "Let the devil play this, cause I certainly can't!" hehe

Gotta luv ol' Schubbie! hehe

Petey

But then again, didn't he also throw himself in the river? :)

But then again, didn't he also throw himself in the river? :)
Many have done that, but not Schubbie. hehe Listen to his last song cycle "Winterreise" (Winter Journey)- the first song "Gute Nacht" Good Night. He commented that people like best what he wrote in his greatest misery. I've been meaning to cover this one for years on the uke but no time!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9OysEmbDfE

Back to the Jake freakout affair... I can understand him completely. Sometimes when I reach the 10th take of a video I'm trying to record, I've done that!!! hehehe

Petey

One of Ella Fitzgerald's most famous performances was when she forgot the lyrics to "Mack the Knife" in a concert in Berlin. She scatted and made up words about... forgetting the words to this song. Awesome. It was recorded, but I forget which album. I got to see her on what was probably her last concert tour and was almost disappointed she didn't forget the words, but she had incorporated some of what she improvised in Berlin into her regular performance.

Naaaahhhh

I am in line waiting for Jake's signature so have time to post on UU but he messed up and screamed Aaarrrgggghhhh and stopped! I didn't even think it was the hardest part of the song. He started again in the middle of the song.

Even the pros mess up once in awhile.

I was at that show. I don't think he messed up, and he didn't start over from anywhere. He continued to the next part of the song.. That was the Santa Cruz show right? He did that aarrrrrhhhhhggggg noise a couple times during the show I was at anyway. I think he was just being funny. either that, or he messed up and screamed rhythmically...

Last edited:
I was at that show. I don't think he messed up, and he didn't start over from anywhere. He continued to the next part of the song.. That was the Santa Cruz show right? He did that aarrrrrhhhhhggggg noise a couple times during the show I was at anyway. I think he was just being funny. either that, or he messed up and screamed rhythmically...

Cerritos show

Top Bottom