Is this normal for a new ukulele? (Noob question)

Eponine

Reaction score
Greetings! So I've only been playing the uke for two days - which is also the amount of time I've owned my ukulele, Ingrid. She's a Firebrand soprano. I've noticed that she needs to be tuned a lot. Almost every time I pick her up. It's mostly the first string that has a problem, but the others are also acting up.

Is this normal for a brand new uke? Do the strings just need time to adjust or something? I just want to make sure I don't need to buy new strings or anything.

Yep. This is pretty much the norm for a new uke. You just have to tune it pretty much every time you play for a couple of weeks and the strings should "settle in". I looked up your uke and noticed it is a starter level, therefore it is going to have cheaper strings on it. You could go to a local music store and get a better set, re-string it and let them settle in and have better luck. Should be pretty cheap. $10 or less. Look on you tube on how to string it yourself, that will save you some money other than letting the music store charge you to do it.

That's absolutely normal. The strings will stretch and it will take time for them to settle in. Whenever I change strings it takes generally about a week or so before the uke holds it tune. With new strings you will have to tune the uke, then play a couple of minutes and have to tune again....and again.....and again! Gradually though the strings will hold their tune. Depending on the brand some strings will hold tune for several days, some maybe only a day or two. If the strings on your new uke don't hold tune after a week, then you might consider switching them out for a set of Aquilas.

Thanks, you guys! If she doesn't settle down after about two weeks, I'll try going out and getting some new strings. I've never been that good with technical stuff, but hopefully I'll be able to re-string it myself without too much trouble.

Thanks, you guys! If she doesn't settle down after about two weeks, I'll try going out and getting some new strings. I've never been that good with technical stuff, but hopefully I'll be able to re-string it myself without too much trouble.

After you do it once, you'll wonder why it ever intimidated you. Good luck! Hope you can end the frustration and get more into the joy of playing!

I've never been that good with technical stuff, but hopefully I'll be able to re-string it myself without too much trouble.
If you can mangle your shoelaces into a proper knot you will be able to re-string your uke without any problems.

Welcome to UU and good luck!

If it's the one string that keeps going out of tune even after the others have settled, you may have to adjust the tuning peg. Easily done with the appropriate screwdriver.

also dont stretch the string faster by pulling on it. well you can if you want ,but natural break in would be better for multiple reasons.

Welcome to UU.

Bear in mind once you re-string the uke, the new strings will have to stretch too, so you'll have (at least) a few days of having to constantly re-tune it.

Another suggestion that hasn't been made yet - if like me your first uke is from the cheaper end of the market, it's also worth taking a screwdriver to the big screws that hold the geared tuner in place (ie the big one in the middle of the cog) and making sure it's not loose.....

:D

Another thing you might want to consider if you want your strings to settle in a bit quicker is when you are done playing for the day, you may want to tune your strings a bit sharp (i.e. tighten or put more tension on them) so they stretch out a bit more during down time. I continue to do this during the string break in period until I find the strings starting to hold their tune. I wouldn't be in a rush to get another set of strings. There's a break in period requiring constant tuning no matter what strings you get.

Top Bottom