Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Depends

Votes: 38 40.9%

• Total voters

vanflynn

-----
UU VIP
Reaction score
I'm curious on the percentage of thumb strummers out there. For some reason that is how I started and using my index finger seem odd.

Last edited:
I wish you had included as options "both index finger and thumb" and "index finger and thumb together" instead of, or along with, "depends" and "other" because both of those options could suggest something different from either index finger or thumb. I selected "depends." I was strumming with my index finger until I broke my middle finger on my strumming hand. While my finger was splinted and for a while afterwards while I regained mobility in it, I strummed with my thumb because I couldn't roll my fingers other than my index finger into a fist and holding my hand open while trying to use my index finger was painful. Once my finger was back to almost normal (it healed a little crooked), I had trouble converting back, and I had become proficient with my thumb. Now, I tend to strum with my index finger when I play Hawaiian music, although some strums require me to use both my index finger and my thumb, and with my thumb when I'm playing popular music.

Last edited:
I usually strum with all my fingers. I'll occasionally strum with my thumb, and sometimes with the back of my pinky when I want to accentuate the A string. Never with just my index finger.

I strummed guitar with a pick for 12 years before I even picked up a uke, so my strum is similar to what it feels like to have a pick...index nail strums the strings with my thumb behind it giving it some power and body. Sometimes it'll be my index and middle fingers with my thumb behind them. It just feels more natural to me, because I'm so used to holding something between my thumb and fingers. Also makes it way easier to transition into hawaiian strum patters and fingerpicking.

So I guess index nail (and sometimes middle nail) and thumb?

Every option gives you different sounds, so nothing should be thrown out as second-rate. But some ways are better for different situations. I usually strum down with my index and up with my thumb. If I want a mellow sound I use just my thumb - Wes Montgomery style.

It depends on if my wife is already in bed when I am practicing. If she is, I use my thumb. The rest of the time I use my index finger.

I played for 12 hours straight in a pub once (4pm til 4am), started playing with my index finger but switched to my thumb when I got blisters. The same happened again so I played with my middle finger, ended up using my little finger to lightly strum as the rest had all blistered.

Going back to work a few days later was fun since I'm sat a computer - so sore!

I started using my index finger exclusively. As I've started to play more melodically, I've used my thumb more and more. Nowadays, a song's tempo and intensity makes this choice for me.

I pretty much only use my index finger, but it took some getting used to since I'm so used to using my first four fingers when I play guitar. I strum with a pick on guitar.

It depends. When I'm playing out of a fakebook, I use my index finger, sometimes with the thumb roll. When I'm playing off a tab, I usually use my thumb exclusively because I want to make the strum sound like the plucking of the fingers.

A little of everything, depending on the song.

-Kurt

Top Bottom