Help with restringing my uke

addicted2myuke

Reaction score
I have a concert Kala that has a tie on bridge. I saw a tutorial on youtube on restringing but my uke is different. Instead of one hole to string the string through on the bridge, there are 2 and I don't know how to do it. Are there any tutorials on how to restring with this kind of bridge? By the way I brought my uke to Guitar Center here in Danvers Ma. and left it for 2 days to do the restringing, and when I got there today, it was not done and noone would help me. So I am stuck trying to figure this out for myself. Please help!!

I have a concert Kala that has a tie on bridge. I saw a tutorial on youtube on restringing but my uke is different. Instead of one hole to string the string through on the bridge, there are 2 and I don't know how to do it. Are there any tutorials on how to restring with this kind of bridge? By the way I brought my uke to Guitar Center here in Danvers Ma. and left it for 2 days to do the restringing, and when I got there today, it was not done and noone would help me. So I am stuck trying to figure this out for myself. Please help!!

I no longer use classical guitar style ties on any uke:

attachment.php

Sounds to me like you ended up with an 8-string bridge. But post up a picture so we can see.

You would probably have to pick either the left or right side holes and string them like normal, just using only one side.

Thanks so much for all your help. I went on youtube and found a tutorial on how to restring a 12 hole guitar. It was the same method as stringing an 8 hole uke.I'm back in business. I saved myself $35.00 and got a free set of aquila strings out of the deal.

I have a Lanakai that is the same way. You take the string through one of the holes (it shouldn't matter, just be consistent) then back over the then endpiece and throught the other hole and tuck the string through the loop.

Does that make sense? I don't have a camera handy, sorry.

I have a Lanakai that is the same way. You take the string through one of the holes (it shouldn't matter, just be consistent) then back over the then endpiece and throught the other hole and tuck the string through the loop.

Does that make sense? I don't have a camera handy, sorry.
My lanikai bari has an 8 hole bridge too. I thought it was a mistake, as I bought it as a 2nd. I just picked one set and tied it the regular way.

My pina also has that eight hole bridge. Looks much simpler to me, although I am pretty good at tying knots now.

It was pretty simple once I got the hang of it. Now I just have to contend with tuning it every few minutes until the strings stretch. Thanks again for your help.

Someone asked that a year ago. This is the pic that was posted then.
12-hole-tie-block.jpg

My Kala came with the eight hole bridge. It was just that the strings were sort of double wound using two holes per string. When I restrung it I just used holes 2 4 6 & 8 and restrung it the standard way. Just in case numbers are confusing 2 being the G string. I have had no problem at all using this method and strings have been changed 4 times now.

ETF :cool:

First of all: take a photo (or some more) of the bridge and the strings before starting anything, these pics can serve as visual guidance....

Here's a few pics of the Kala bridge (note that the lose end visible with the clear strings is simply tucked back into the hole fo the red string on the other uke)
ka-c_bridge.jpg

mk-s_bridge1.jpg
mk-s_bridge2.jpg

Thanks Louis0815. Great,clear photos. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling knowing that I can change strings a few different ways without relying on someone else to take care of it for me. Cool colored strings too. What kind are they?

I no longer use classical guitar style ties on any uke

Just went to Joann Fabrics and bought some beads this afternoon. I'm about to go "string" them...

By the way I brought my uke to Guitar Center here in Danvers Ma. and left it for 2 days to do the restringing, and when I got there today, it was not done and noone would help me.
Two days and it wasn't done? Seriously?

I saved myself $35.00 and got a free set of aquila strings out of the deal.
They were going to charge you $35 to restring a uke? That's outrageous.

Anyway, congrats on figuring it out and doing it yourself! It's like a right of passage that any serious player has to go thru.

Restringing isn't something I particularly enjoy, although I'm usually glad after I do it and have nice new strings, even though it takes a few days to break them in. :)

Thanks Louis0815. Great,clear photos. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling knowing that I can change strings a few different ways without relying on someone else to take care of it for me. Cool colored strings too. What kind are they?
These are Aurora multicolor. Sound and feel is very similar to Aquilas - but with a lot more "bling" (will put some green and/or red ones on my green Flea soon....)

They were going to charge you $35 to restring a uke? That's outrageous.
No, they simply were about to hire an external consultant for that difficult task......
Or they already calculated shipping to HMS and back ;)

Last edited:
You know there is a small music store just a mile from me and I keep forgetting it is there. Actually, it's where I bought my Kala. Guitar Center can kiss my uke. Let's hear it for the little guy. He will beat any internet price order any uke and will restring for free if you bought the uke there, but I no longer need that service since I can string it myself now. ;0). Just want to say that all the folks here that posted photos and chimed in with advice makes me appriciate how friendly and helpful ukulele players are.

Top Bottom