Strange triangular baritone

DWitt

Reaction score
Any idea what this is? Listing says it's a Maestro brand, but Maestro has nothing like this on their website, and the mark on the headstock doesn't look like "Maestro" (although I can't make it out).

Looks pretty cool, though, and the price isn't at all off-putting.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Baritone-Ukulele-New-/390547918715

Cant see where it says on there it is a Maestro? :/

EDIT : Oh yes, I see.
It definitely doesnt say Maestro on the headstock, bizarre..

not sure if you're just asking for the brand or what type of uke it is, I think the style is called a Northern ukulele. I remember seeing one for sale somewhere and researching it a bit. I seem to recall this style having a Canadian origin where it was put in to use in a classroom setting....

Of course, I might be totally wrong. Anyone else know for sure?

The ukulele looks like an imitation of the Northern, to me. The head stock configuration looks different than what I'd expect on a Northern....

Hi DWitt,

I have that uke! I bought it here in the UK under the "Skylark" brand. It was also very cheap and I bought it as a beater and have taken it camping. It's very strongly built with thick braces and top, which results in it being fairly quiet.

Anyway, I originally put Aquila baritone GCEA strings on it and it sounded fine, if a little trebley. I used it in a vid if this helps with what it sounds like:

However, since then, I've put proper bari strings on it in the usual DGBE tuning and I prefer the deeper sound and think it suits this uke better. (I'm afraid I haven't got any sound samples of the bari strings.)

In summary, a cheap Chinese uke, but lots of fun and certainly well worth the £30 I paid for it.

Hope that helps,
Anna :)

Top Bottom