Headstock shape poll

tobinsuke

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Here (below) are six headstock shapes. I am starting up a small batch of tenor banjo ukuleles, and I'd appreciate some feedback on these designs.

I began with a Martin style template from Waldron Music (great product and service!), grabbed a straightedge and compass, and got to it. All six have those Martin "hips" near the nut that I just love. A couple are a little more banjo and a little less ukulele.

To keep discussion simple I named them (after my favorite apples). You'll notice that the Braeburn and McIntosh are very similar - the top corners are sharper on the Braeburn and rounded on the McIntosh.

So, what do you like? Or dislike?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 246
For "Banjo Ukes" I vote for Idared.

I vote for honeycrisp. And are these banjos spoken for? I am looking for a tenor...

Granny smith. I would really love it if it came to more of a point.

They always look different on the instrument.

Fair enough... I know I can hold them up to neck blanks all day long, but once it's done it's done. The mind's eye can only go so far. That's why I want to pause, reflect, and collect some opinions before I start shaping on this batch. I'm finding the feedback so far interesting.

The Granny Smith headstock really reminds me of the 'Dias' styled ukuleles.

The Fuji is quite ideal on an ukulele I think, very clean cut look. (Then again, this is a banjo poll after all isn't it?)

The Idared looks the most 'traditional' for all banjo headstocks. (In my opinion)

And the Honeycrisp looks alot like Kala and Lanikai headstocks! :cool:

Also, I think the Idared is the way to go.

I like the simplicity of Fuji, but since a banjo uke is what your aiming for, I vote for Idared.

Depends on whether you are fitting friction pegs or geared tuners. The traditional peg heads only look right with friction pegs.

Anthony

For a banjo uke I'd go for Granny Smith or Idared. (never heard of an idared apple) It also depends on how much room you need for inlay. Granny looks pretty small if you want to inlay your name.

For a banjo uke I'd go for Granny Smith or Idared. (never heard of an idared apple) It also depends on how much room you need for inlay. Granny looks pretty small if you want to inlay your name.

Idareds are good cooking apples - just a bit on the tart side and nice and solid. You can find them at farmer's markets.

The inlay will be simple - a 3/4" medallion etched with a logo (my avatar pic). Simple pearl dots on the fretboard.

Top Bottom