Aldrine's uke sounds good...

HBolte

Reaction score
Anyone know which strings he is using these days? Thanks.

Aldrine could play a pine 2 X 4 strung with wet noodles and make it sound better than me on my best uke with magic strings. :)

John

Aldrine could play a pine 2 X 4 strung with wet noodles and make it sound better than me on my best uke with magic strings. :)

John

Exactly.

Jake played my Hawaiian Ukulele Company ukulele. It was a laminate. He made it sing. It's not the instrument. It's not the strings. It's the player.

T2's are what I saw as well.

John

heh heh great retort John

John

Thanks, I understand that. Since I have a Kanile'a Tenor and want to try different strings, first trying what he uses will be a good place to start.

Thanks all, I'll try the T2's!

Remember that Aldrine and Jake play it plugged (using a pick-up) most of the time, which sounds different than an unplugged uke. When I started playing uke I didn't really know about the effect it had on the sound. This also makes a difference (besides that they are just awesome players).

Remember that Aldrine and Jake play it plugged (using a pick-up) most of the time, which sounds different than an unplugged uke. When I started playing uke I didn't really know about the effect it had on the sound. This also makes a difference (besides that they are just awesome players).

Good point about being plugged in. This is the sound I like of his, at :55 seconds: http://ukuleleunderground.com/2013/01/uke-lesson-62-let-it-be-the-beatles/

Do you think the sound is from the video mike or line in?

I'll go out on a limb and say I can strum a C chords as well as Aldrine. ;)

Funny. I haven't seen either one use a pick.

Figured I'd chime in haha.

On that video, the uke is plugged in (as are most of the videos on UU) but you can still hear the differences between that ukulele and the usual signature model that I play even though it's plugged in. The bridgewood top is definitely a lot brighter than the signature model. When plugged in, most ukes pretty much sound the same but you can hear differences in higher end ukes. That bridgewood uke plugged in will not sound the same as an intermediate uke with the same pickup and same settings.

As far as your K2, I find that Kanile'a ukulele's are a bit more on the warmer and mellower side. To give the ukulele a little bit of brightness and volume, I usually string it up with D'Addario T2 strings. It's not as bright as Aquilas but definitely superior as far as overall tone, feel, sustain, and clarity. So my advice to you would be to try the T2 strings and see if it makes a difference. If you want it a little bit brighter, you can try Savarez strings as well (Red card, high tension) but I think the T2 will give you what you're looking for.

Another thing you can do is to just play the uke. All Kanile'a ukulele's are solid tops that will age really well. The more you play your uke, the more the wood will respond. That wood was once a living thing that was chopped, and made into an ukulele and it will take time for it to realize that it is now a musical instrument. Through constantly playing it, the wood will breathe and "open up" the sound. Your K2 is well on its way to unlocking its full potential if you give it the kind of love that it deserves.

Hope that helps :3

Last edited:
Aldrine, thank you for post! It does help and I will put on a set of T2's.

Thank you also for your excellent lessons, Fire and Rain and Let It Be are two of my favorites!

Mahalo!

Hans

Top Bottom