Asturias Ukulele from Japan

coolkayaker1

Reaction score
Andrew at HMS got an Asturias Ukulele from Japan at NAMM and I'm going to give it a try. Interestingly, I searched it on UU< no mention. So I thought I'd post it here (and more when it comes). I was looking for a spruce topped soprano, and the cutaway is a bonus--I love cutaways, and can access higher register on the concert neck now.

http://www.asturias.jp/about/?lang=en

A little more than a dozen luthiers near Kyushu making classical guitars since 1962, and ukuleles for over ten years.

Best is, as most on here know, I dislike geared tuners with a passion. For an upgrade, Andrew is going to install UPT Gotoh (the new Gotoh planetary tuners) on it for me! This involves removing the geared tuners, filling wood, and refinishing the back of the headstock. Those guys at HMS are magicians, let me tell you. I'll write a review of not only the uke (which sounds ideal in the Corey video, but it's on Vimeo so I don;t know how to attach it here) and the tuners! Should be here in a month or so, I'd guess. No rush. Cheers, all.

From HMS website: "Asturias is a well known high end classical builder in Japan that has been making ukes for over 10 years. They call this model a concert but as you can see in the pictures, it fits perfectly into an Oahu soprano case, so we will call it a soprano long neck. It is certainly a super soprano and not just because of the scale length. This ukulele has an open, vintage like tone right off the bat. The fit and finish is perfection. The setup is right on and the quality is very evident. If you were looking for a big, warm tone able to be carried in a sopano case, and don't mind a perfect glassy finish or a custom style florentine cutaway, then this ukulele is at the top of our list. Truly a wonderful ukulele and we guarantee you will fall in love at first strum."

asturias_spruce-rosewood.jpgasturias_spruce-rosewood-2.jpgasturias_spruce-rosewood-5.jpgasturias_spruce-rosewood-6.jpg

This may fall right off the UU Boards, but at least someone now has written about Aturias Japanese Ukes on UU for the next person who searches it. lol.

Last edited:
I tried the brand and it sounded good, I didn't look at it carefully since I wasn't shopping for any ukes at that time. Let us know after getting it!

Ho, Bruddah Steve!

CONGRATS on your new Asturias Soprano!!!:cheers: I like da cutaway ... plus da uke sounds MEAN, too! Get one Concert scale on da uke, yeah? I had my eyes on dat uke evah since it went up fo sale on HMS! Da only problem is dat I only play tenor sized ukes .... SHUCKS!!!

P.S. Eh! You one Bruko dealah o what???!!! I see you get plenty of dem fo sale on eBay!

Last edited:
Thanks, Daniel. I'll let you know.

Bruddah Kimo...no Brudo dealer, jus' oderin' in bulk to save shippin', den pass savings to friends.

Yes, concert scale on soprano body (I had a Koaloha tenor neck on a soprano body, and it was great, but slightly off for weigh distribution). I really enjoy spprano and concert scales now...so if anyone sees a tenor in my signature below that they want a deal on, just PM me. lol

Daniel is the tenor guy. lol And you, too, Kimo.

I am interested to see what you think about it. It is a great looking uke, and will be ever better without the ears!

Ah, another soprano guy. Thanks. Rick. Will let you know how it is when I get it. You know, I had that Martin 3M with replaced back Gryph money burning a hole in my pocket. lol

Aloha Steve,
Wow you must be a millioaire or something...:) you keep buying all the good ukes...holy moly..this one I agree sounds nice Happy strummings...

I had my eye on this uke, too. I think it looks and sounds great from the video. If it were a tenor, I may have bought it. Looking forward to living vicariously through you!

Thanks, Stan, Steve and Blue.

I know there are a ton of tenor players here, and they wouldn't favor this one. But for me, it just might be ideal..what with the fretboard access of the cutaway. It's really hard to find a soprano body/concert body cutaway, as you all know. Sounds like you three saw the Vimeo with Corey..it really does have some special sound...different...and that is what did it for me.

I might be one of the first to try those Gotoh Planetaries, too. As usual, Andrew and HMS are top of their game. Wonderful in every way. They're going to take their time with the tuner change out...and no rush on my part. Andrew is thinking of carrying this Japanese line.

No, didn;t hit lottery, Stan. (Stan, you have the best ukes of anyone I know! And, I may have just bought the one uke brand you've never owned...I knew there was one!)) Just had some refund money from Gryphon Music to deploy (and will one of you uke players please contact me about any one of the ukes in my signature...I'd like to get some groceries this weekend. Thanks!).

Last edited:
Awesome looking uke. I really like the headstock shape. Those Gotoh's should look great on it. Post some picts when you get it.

Congrats! It looks like one very beautiful uke!

(and will one of you uke players please contact me about any one of the ukes in my signature...I'd like to get some groceries this weekend. Thanks!).

Someone take his Pohaku Bari...I've played a Pohaku recently and it sounded awesome!! This one is so unique and the curl is amazing!!

Make him regret making the above comment! LOL

Someone take his Pohaku Bari...I've played a Pohaku recently and it sounded awesome!! This one is so unique and the curl is amazing!!

Make him regret making the above comment! LOL

The thought had crossed my mind. Alas, I'll be heading to Japan instead.

Wow, congrats!!! I can't wait to hear what you think of it.

I got my HF3 last week and can't put it down, thanks for all the advice - I love it. :love:

Still thinking about the Donaldson Pineapple tho'.....shhhhhhh don't tell my hubby - I promised him the Kamaka was my last one :rofl:

Hahahahahahahaha.....you guys know better.....

Awesome looking uke. I really like the headstock shape. Those Gotoh's should look great on it. Post some picts when you get it.
And videos! And congratulations, BTW!
Sure, Skinny and Blue. I'll let you both know how it looks and sounds. I'm gonna have Thom teach me how to use SOundcloud, too. I have a few ukes and would love to throw out a stumper quiz to you all (can anyone really tell the difference between a solid and a laminate...hmmm? lol

Congrats! It looks like one very beautiful uke!
Nickie, you always have kind words for everyone on UU. I appreciate your Aloha spirit, I really do.

Someone take his Pohaku Bari...I've played a Pohaku recently and it sounded awesome!! This one is so unique and the curl is amazing!! Make him regret making the above comment! LOL
You make me laugh, D. You really do. I sent you a PM--you are the man for getting me that Mark's book. You really are, huh Stan? lol

The thought had crossed my mind. Alas, I'll be heading to Japan instead.
Whit, I haven't seen you online in a while. You're going to Japan>? I could have had you pick up the Asturias for me...if you want to take a boat ride to the island of Kyushu, that is. Do tell what your souvenir Japanese uke will be (A Famous branded Kiwaya, perhaps).

Wow, congrats!!! I can't wait to hear what you think of it. I got my HF3 last week and can't put it down, thanks for all the advice - I love it. :love: Still thinking about the Donaldson Pineapple tho'.....shhhhhhh don't tell my hubby - I promised him the Kamaka was my last one :rofl: Hahahahahahahaha.....you guys know better.....
BigSky Diane, I'm glad you pulled the trigger. Did I miss it...did you post photos yet on your thread? That uke will retain its value, too. Yea, the Donaldson Pineapple would be keen, even if hubby does make you sleep in the doghouse for a couple months. It's worth it. lol

Steve, congrats on the new uke. It's a stunner. Looking forward to your impression on it.

Top Bottom