PDA

View Full Version : order a new IZ tenor with or without pickup?

PeteyHoudini
02-25-2013, 02:15 PM
Hey gang!

I'm thinking about ordering the new IZ tenor... if I bite the bullet, should I order one with or without a pickup from Martin? Sorry, but I'm out of ideas on that front. Please help. 8-)

Petey

Nicko
02-25-2013, 02:18 PM
It's an abomination to plug in a uke. A uke with a pickup is the devil's playground. ;)

PeteyHoudini
02-25-2013, 02:22 PM
It's an abomination to plug in a uke. A uke with a pickup is the devil's playground. ;)
I tend to agree with you on that front very much! I'm curious to know if there are any GOOD reasons to get a pickup.

Petey

chrimess
02-25-2013, 02:32 PM
What are they offering to outfit it with? You are a performer- you'll be glad you included one.

PeteyHoudini
02-25-2013, 03:10 PM
What are they offering to outfit it with? You are a performer- you'll be glad you included one.
Funny, they don't mention what type of pickup they install. I have no idea, but I'm curious about that. Thanks for the "performer" moniker but I'm just a librarian, and part-time amateur uke player who likes to do videos. hehe

Petey

pdxuke
02-25-2013, 05:21 PM
Petey--no pick up. Mic it. My two cents. :-)

Dan Uke
02-25-2013, 05:31 PM
Depends on where you perform as they don't always have several mics handy. Also, It seems that most small amps have an input for one instrument and one mic. You might have to bring your own amp and you don't want to lug a huge one.

I would definitely ask what type they provide.

coolkayaker1
02-25-2013, 05:38 PM
I know PedalFreak Aaron on UU has a couple Iz ukes coming, Petey. No clue if he ships to Timbuck 2, though. lol

Is that the one with geared tuners? Hmm. (a long thoughtful silence).

I've got Dragon Naturally Speaking voice rec software here in my sweaty little hand and I'm going to install it, train it, and reply to your email to me. That's my goal for the next ten days. lol I'm not kidding, either. I just have to train this bugger.

Looking forward to more of your informative and funny videos, Petey.

Edit: I saw this on Gryphon...it's not Iz, but it costs about the same and sure looks like a sa-weet tenor. Just sayin'. lol
http://www.gryphonstrings.com/instpix/40081/index.php

PeteyHoudini
02-26-2013, 11:56 AM
Thanks everyone. I have a small Fender amp but I almost never use it. I prefer soprano ukes for all my songs, but I just thought having one tenor with a pickup might be interesting if I have to play it on stage.

@pdxuke: I prefer to mic as well. This one may be my one exception.

@coolkayaker1: I'd order one from my local dealer to avoid shipping brokerage fees at that price, etc.. As for the Dragon software, I wonder how it will pronounce "hehe." hehe! That Martin on the gryphon site looks good, but I think I want to try out the IZ uke. As for my reviews, I was planning to finally record my new tenor style 2 review last Sunday since the IZ tenor is coming out soon, but as I was writing down a few final notes and wanting to mention that fact in my video, I was caught in a conundrum of how to pronounce IZ's last name: KAMAKAWIWO'OLE. It's actually "kah-mah-kah-vi-vo-o-lay." I started working on a melody to go with the pronunciation and suddenly and I had a new song underway!!! Three hours later, I had written a new song called, "Song for IZ." So, I had no more time to do my style 2 tenor review! Man oh man! I hope to include the new song in my style 2 tenor review this weekend and record it maybe separately. It's just a very simple song. A whim of mine. If the ukesters like the song, I should order the IZ tenor and record it on that one! hehe

@Bill1: The IZ tenor costs $100 more for a factory installed pick-up.

Petey

Cornfield
02-26-2013, 11:58 AM
If you like to move around, a pickup is great. I tend to get animated at times and fling the little beasties around. Thats when a pickup is called for.

PeteyHoudini
02-26-2013, 11:59 AM
If you like to move around, a pickup is great. I tend to get animated at times and fling the little beasties around. Thats when a pickup is called for.
Totally right! I don't really plan on playing live but I'm becoming more and more convinced to order that tenor and get the pickup. I'll wait till next week though.

Petey

coolkayaker1
02-26-2013, 03:10 PM
@coolkayaker1: I'd order one from my local dealer to avoid shipping brokerage fees at that price, etc.. As for the Dragon software, I wonder how it will pronounce "hehe." hehe! That Martin on the gryphon site looks good, but I think I want to try out the IZ uke. As for my reviews, I was planning to finally record my new tenor style 2 review last Sunday since the IZ tenor is coming out soon, but as I was writing down a few final notes and wanting to mention that fact in my video, I was caught in a conundrum of how to pronounce IZ's last name: KAMAKAWIWO'OLE. It's actually "kah-mah-kah-vi-vo-o-lay." I started working on a melody to go with the pronunciation and suddenly and I had a new song underway!!! Three hours later, I had written a new song called, "Song for IZ." So, I had no more time to do my style 2 tenor review! Man oh man! I hope to include the new song in my style 2 tenor review this weekend and record it maybe separately. It's just a very simple song. A whim of mine. If the ukesters like the song, I should order the IZ tenor and record it on that one! hehe

@Bill1: The IZ tenor costs $100 more for a factory installed pick-up.

Petey

You wrote a song with Iz's name. amazing. You can get lost in the songwriting process and emerge 3 full hours later with a song. (another song for the original CD!). Great job.

Sou[king is giving away a Kolaloha tenor with Baggs premium active pickup on Marketplace now for $850! You always wanted to try one of those, my friend!!

For 100 doll hairs, I'd get the pickup (and that was me typing, not the Dragon hehe)

Paul December
02-26-2013, 03:39 PM
:mad: IZ himself never used a pickup!
...actually I don't know, possibly he did :D

BIGDB
02-26-2013, 04:33 PM
I personally think that you will never think back and be like why did I get a pick up so I would do it

dkpianoman21
02-26-2013, 06:16 PM
I would go for the pickup, since it's only $100 more.

Paul December
02-26-2013, 06:55 PM
I think it might hurt future flip-a-billity...
...you reduce a number of buyers because some don't like pickups.
If you Don't really see yourself using it, splurge on a nicer case.

justinlcecil
02-26-2013, 06:58 PM
I don't believe it will hinder the sound in any way when not using it. And at only $100 it will have a slightly better resale value if you ever intend to get rid of it.

stevepetergal
02-27-2013, 02:04 AM
Every time I get an ukulele without, I end up kicking myself. (And I hardly ever plug in)
As for calling an ukulele with a pickup an abomination, you could say the same thing about all kinds of advancements in ukulele building (non-gut strings for example).

BigMamaJ40
02-27-2013, 01:08 PM
Do it! One less thing to worry about.

Nicko
02-27-2013, 01:09 PM
Every time I get an ukulele without, I end up kicking myself. (And I hardly ever plug in)
As for calling an ukulele with a pickup an abomination, you could say the same thing about all kinds of advancements in ukulele building (non-gut strings for example).

Yeah...glad you mentioned that...artificial strings are an abomination, too. ;-)

Nicko
02-27-2013, 01:12 PM
I don't believe it will hinder the sound in any way when not using it. And at only $100 it will have a slightly better resale value if you ever intend to get rid of it.

But possibly not a $100 better resale value.

(What am I doing?! I'm not against pick-ups in ukes! But the only good reason to get a uke with electronics on board is because you think you might use the electronics, not because of resale value. Most uke players -- and buyers -- don't plug in.)

Dan Uke
02-27-2013, 01:21 PM
But the only good reason to get a uke with electronics on board is because you think you might use the electronics, not because of resale value. Most uke players -- and buyers -- don't plug in.)

I wouldn't worry about resale value either. If you think you are going to play plugged in and you don't like non-Martin luthiers to touch your uke, get it installed.

Where I live, it costs $50 - $75 to install a pickup. I personally would pay more for an aftermarket if you know that the Martin pickup is no good....I guess you have to do research.

I've had a Fishman, LR Baggs, K&K, Misi and I liked the LR Baggs the best. However, it could have been the uke.

PeteyHoudini
02-27-2013, 01:38 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments! I'd be lost without them. 8-) I already have a new style 2 tenor and my biggest fear is that it will sound the same as that 1T IZ tenor uke! Meaning, what's the point of buying another tenor mahogany uke just for the look with a logo and a bit of koa? I think I will do my new style 2 review this weekend and meditate on it. However, the new Martin UAS is never far from my credit card! hehe

@coolkayaker1: It's very bizarre that I ended up writing a song with IZ's name. It might be crap, but it's just I was trying to mention the new IZ uke in my style 2 tenor review so I thought I would look very "cool" being able to pronounce his last name properly and show off a bit! LOL That silly idea took me away from reality for three hours into the composition mode. Totally unexpected. When I stumble across a new song idea… my first reaction is… "hey, I like this, but should I bother to continue?" When I was in my 20s, I would say "Yeah, go man go!!!" However, in my declining years in my late 40s… I had to ask myself, "Should I try to develop this into a song? It's a silly idea. I should be recording my review." However… as a kid growing up on the shores of Lake Huron, I was allowed to play all summer long. The academics now talk about "play" for kids being essential. So, when I got the idea for the new song using IZ's last name… it was the same thing about "play" so I went for it. I'm glad I did. 8-) Nothing to do with showing what a witty person I may be… no, it's just that I went back to that fun state of "play" and working out a song with that theme. Just like being back on the shores of Lake Huron. 8-)

@Paul December: Not sure either! hehe

@stevepetergal: I understand that feeling cause I got many of my first better quality ukes with a pickup: Kala koa soprano, two Brüko sopranos, but I stopped after that. However with such a 1T IZ tenor… it's nagging at the back of my mind… I should at least have one Martin uke with a pickup!

@nongdam: You state a lot of very good points! Thanks! I never need to plug-in but there might be an non-event event where I will be asked to play much later this year. I'm just thinking ahead and plugging in for that event would be the best solution, than having to stand frozen like a snowman at a mic.

TTBD – tenor to be determined! hehe

Petey