order a new IZ tenor with or without pickup?

PeteyHoudini

Reaction score
Hey gang!

I'm thinking about ordering the new IZ tenor... if I bite the bullet, should I order one with or without a pickup from Martin? Sorry, but I'm out of ideas on that front. Please help. :cool:

Petey

Last edited:
It's an abomination to plug in a uke. A uke with a pickup is the devil's playground. ;)

What are they offering to outfit it with? You are a performer- you'll be glad you included one.

What are they offering to outfit it with? You are a performer- you'll be glad you included one.
Funny, they don't mention what type of pickup they install. I have no idea, but I'm curious about that. Thanks for the "performer" moniker but I'm just a librarian, and part-time amateur uke player who likes to do videos. hehe

Petey

Petey--no pick up. Mic it. My two cents. :)

Depends on where you perform as they don't always have several mics handy. Also, It seems that most small amps have an input for one instrument and one mic. You might have to bring your own amp and you don't want to lug a huge one.

I would definitely ask what type they provide.

I know PedalFreak Aaron on UU has a couple Iz ukes coming, Petey. No clue if he ships to Timbuck 2, though. lol

Is that the one with geared tuners? Hmm. (a long thoughtful silence).

I've got Dragon Naturally Speaking voice rec software here in my sweaty little hand and I'm going to install it, train it, and reply to your email to me. That's my goal for the next ten days. lol I'm not kidding, either. I just have to train this bugger.

Looking forward to more of your informative and funny videos, Petey.

Edit: I saw this on Gryphon...it's not Iz, but it costs about the same and sure looks like a sa-weet tenor. Just sayin'. lol
http://www.gryphonstrings.com/instpix/40081/index.php

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I have a small Fender amp but I almost never use it. I prefer soprano ukes for all my songs, but I just thought having one tenor with a pickup might be interesting if I have to play it on stage.

@pdxuke: I prefer to mic as well. This one may be my one exception.

@coolkayaker1: I'd order one from my local dealer to avoid shipping brokerage fees at that price, etc.. As for the Dragon software, I wonder how it will pronounce "hehe." hehe! That Martin on the gryphon site looks good, but I think I want to try out the IZ uke. As for my reviews, I was planning to finally record my new tenor style 2 review last Sunday since the IZ tenor is coming out soon, but as I was writing down a few final notes and wanting to mention that fact in my video, I was caught in a conundrum of how to pronounce IZ's last name: KAMAKAWIWO'OLE. It's actually "kah-mah-kah-vi-vo-o-lay." I started working on a melody to go with the pronunciation and suddenly and I had a new song underway!!! Three hours later, I had written a new song called, "Song for IZ." So, I had no more time to do my style 2 tenor review! Man oh man! I hope to include the new song in my style 2 tenor review this weekend and record it maybe separately. It's just a very simple song. A whim of mine. If the ukesters like the song, I should order the IZ tenor and record it on that one! hehe

@Bill1: The IZ tenor costs $100 more for a factory installed pick-up.

Petey

Last edited:
If you like to move around, a pickup is great. I tend to get animated at times and fling the little beasties around. Thats when a pickup is called for.

If you like to move around, a pickup is great. I tend to get animated at times and fling the little beasties around. Thats when a pickup is called for.
Totally right! I don't really plan on playing live but I'm becoming more and more convinced to order that tenor and get the pickup. I'll wait till next week though.

Petey

@coolkayaker1: I'd order one from my local dealer to avoid shipping brokerage fees at that price, etc.. As for the Dragon software, I wonder how it will pronounce "hehe." hehe! That Martin on the gryphon site looks good, but I think I want to try out the IZ uke. As for my reviews, I was planning to finally record my new tenor style 2 review last Sunday since the IZ tenor is coming out soon, but as I was writing down a few final notes and wanting to mention that fact in my video, I was caught in a conundrum of how to pronounce IZ's last name: KAMAKAWIWO'OLE. It's actually "kah-mah-kah-vi-vo-o-lay." I started working on a melody to go with the pronunciation and suddenly and I had a new song underway!!! Three hours later, I had written a new song called, "Song for IZ." So, I had no more time to do my style 2 tenor review! Man oh man! I hope to include the new song in my style 2 tenor review this weekend and record it maybe separately. It's just a very simple song. A whim of mine. If the ukesters like the song, I should order the IZ tenor and record it on that one! hehe

@Bill1: The IZ tenor costs $100 more for a factory installed pick-up.

Petey

You wrote a song with Iz's name. amazing. You can get lost in the songwriting process and emerge 3 full hours later with a song. (another song for the original CD!). Great job.

Sou[king is giving away a Kolaloha tenor with Baggs premium active pickup on Marketplace now for $850! You always wanted to try one of those, my friend!!

For 100 doll hairs, I'd get the pickup (and that was me typing, not the Dragon hehe)

I think it might hurt future flip-a-billity...
...you reduce a number of buyers because some don't like pickups.
If you Don't really see yourself using it, splurge on a nicer case.

I don't believe it will hinder the sound in any way when not using it. And at only $100 it will have a slightly better resale value if you ever intend to get rid of it.

Every time I get an ukulele without, I end up kicking myself. (And I hardly ever plug in)
As for calling an ukulele with a pickup an abomination, you could say the same thing about all kinds of advancements in ukulele building (non-gut strings for example).

Do it! One less thing to worry about.

Every time I get an ukulele without, I end up kicking myself. (And I hardly ever plug in)
As for calling an ukulele with a pickup an abomination, you could say the same thing about all kinds of advancements in ukulele building (non-gut strings for example).

Yeah...glad you mentioned that...artificial strings are an abomination, too. ;-)

Top Bottom