The American Dream

Have you ever purchased a uke with a C/C & was not able to pay it off the next month?

• Yes

Votes: 13 21.7%
  • No

Votes: 47 78.3%

• Total voters

Dan Uke

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I believe the American Dream is to buy things when you can't afford it and don't have the money.

How many of you have purchased a uke with a credit card and was not able to pay it off the next month? I am making a poll and it is anonymous. :eek:

BTW, I work at a bank...LOL

Last edited:
I can imagine how many now make a loan and cannot pay because of the bad economy....wonder how many of those intended not to pay? give us the the stats...hee hee
Yes Is it the amercian dream or amercian greed?? hmmmmm

Aloha Daniel

I have paid for all my ukes with cash..retirement gifts to myself..and I pay all ukes upfront or as soon as possible..i usually pay the full amount of a custom/special order within a month..comes in real handy when the builders raise their prices..etc

I want to show the builder I have full confidence in them..which I do

Last edited:
After having some minor issues with credit cards after law school, I now make sure I don't buy anything on a credit card, including ukuleles, that I can't pay off in full before the next payment is due. I don't like having to pay interest on carried-over balances.

I believe the American Dream is to buy things when you can't afford it and don't have the money.

The version I've heard is "The American Dream is buying things you don't need with money you don't have to impress people you don't like"

I voted yes because I recently took delivery of a high end instrument, which I planned on selling one of my high end guitars to fund. The sale fell through, and on the day after the delivery I was involved in a minor fender bender that will cost me $1700. I won't be going into debt over this, but it's certainly more money than I should be spending right now.

How many of you have purchased a uke with a credit card and was not able to pay it off the next month? I am making a poll and it is anonymous. :eek:

BTW, I work at a bank...LOL
I believe that is a Banker's Dream. The American Dream is to own your own house (paid off) and your children to do better than you.

Consumerism is what lead to the financial meltdown. If you can't afford it, don't buy it...

Totally agree with Tiger, that is a banker's dream. Sad how often they come true. I don't own a credit card, nor will I ever.

I came close haha. I don't have a credit card, but I was going to do the ebay Bill Me Later feature for a special offer on a solid bamboo uke. Was just recently actually.

I thought the American Dream was a big guy called Dusty?

Seriously, no. I do have a credit card, and I do use it regularly, however most of the time I pay off any purchases as soon as possible, ideally before the next billing date, but sometimes things come up.

I use my credit card to keep my credit rating up to scratch, in case I need a grown-up loan (mortgage, car finance). I don't load it up and pay the minimum, that's a fools game.

There is one good thing about buying a uke with a credit card... If anything happens in transit, the credit card company will sort it.

Nope. I won't allow myself to get caught up in the vicious cycle of credit card debt. They don't get used a lot, but they get paid off every month, uke or not.

I buy everything with a credit card, rack up air miles, use them to visit my family, and I haven't carried a balance from one month to the next in 20 years.

My American dream is to be able to pay for what I want. Through a lifetime of work and proper planning, I don't need to rely on credit. I have succeeded.....and not by buying things I can't afford.

This isn't the "American Dream"...it's a fool's dream and is exactly the consumeristic attitude that's gotten the countrty into the fiscal mess that it's currently in with a mountain of debt that's virtually unpayable. I use credit cards (sparingly) to maintain credit scores and never ever carry a balance from one month to the next. If I can't buy something I want (there certainly is a difference between want and need) with cash, then I will not buy it. Period. I retire next year after a 20 year career in the military and plan on building my retirement home with cash.

I think that was Ronald Reagan's big dream...to kill the middle class by crippling them in debt. They fell for it too. I hate big banks and credit cards. I also believe corporations are people and should be treated as such...every employee should be held totally acountable just like a private citizen for corporate greed and blunder, and ruining the environment. But hey, I am from Wisconsin and look at what the teapublicans have done to US.:wtf:

I thought the American Dream was a big guy called Dusty?

Seriously, no. I do have a credit card, and I do use it regularly, however most of the time I pay off any purchases as soon as possible, ideally before the next billing date, but sometimes things come up.

I use my credit card to keep my credit rating up to scratch, in case I need a grown-up loan (mortgage, car finance). I don't load it up and pay the minimum, that's a fools game.

There is one good thing about buying a uke with a credit card... If anything happens in transit, the credit card company will sort it.

I don't have much to add to the thread, except that getting and keeping my credit under control was one of the smartest things I've ever done. There was a moment that I realized that, as long as I can control the situation, rampant credit card debt would never get the best of me.

The real reason I posted here was to give a shout out to the Dusty Rhodes reference...just didn't want you to think it went unnoticed! :D

I was being facetious as I don't use my credit card unless I can pay it off.

However, debt is not bad to build wealth and loans are the american dream as many of us wouldn't be able to afford a home without a mortgage.

I was being facetious as I don't use my credit card unless I can pay it off.

However, debt is not bad to build wealth and loans are the american dream as many of us wouldn't be able to afford a home without a mortgage.

I agree. Credit is a great tool if managed properly. It's the "using it properly" part that can run away on you.

Top Bottom