PDA

View Full Version : Best production Soprano?

wearymicrobe
12-13-2008, 01:01 PM
Just wondering if anybody has a suggestion for a really good production soprano say under 2K. I had my only good soprano, lost in transit so I am on the hunt.

Two things I would like it to be a modern maker, and it needs to be off the shelf, IE something that I can order soon and get in rather quickly. Also I would want something historically not significant, so I can travel with it and not worry about it replacement. Say if it dies at the airport in a unfortunate event, like being run over with a luggage transport.

I am digging through eBay and the usual places but to no avail, couple good Style 2/3's though but I would not want to travel with it.

GX9901
12-13-2008, 01:30 PM
I would probably suggest the Kiwaya KTS-7 (Martin 3M copy made by Takahashi Shinji). I had a G-String soprano that was really good too. I would imagine a Kanile'a soprano being great as well, although I don't have one (I do have a Kanile'a super soprano that I really like).

If you require a 14-fret join and 1.5" nut width, I think the Kanile'a is the only choice.

wearymicrobe
12-13-2008, 01:57 PM
If you require a 14-fret join and 1.5" nut width, I think the Kanile'a is the only choice.

I do but I have way to many kanile'a ukulele's right now so, I need to try something else.

I have a build slot that I was going to use for one in February but I need something for between now and when they actually get it finished.

haole
12-13-2008, 02:33 PM
Very happy with my Kamaka soprano. You could probably pick up two Keli'i sopranos for the same price, too. ;)

nikolo727
12-13-2008, 03:51 PM
if i had to just go and get one, my first choice would be a kamaka soprano. Ive just never heard anything bad about them. Pono is good, but i hear kamaka is just a higher grade. so ill second the kamaka choice.

SamUke
12-13-2008, 04:39 PM
If you are wanting to spend that kind of dough then the Kamaka deluxe Soprano is an amazing instrument. I had one and ended up selling it(wish I never did) and it was one of the sweetest sounding ukes I have played, I compared it to a regular Kamaka soprano and while similar the deluxe sounded nicer. Its expensive though.