"Mama E" on a Moore Bettah tenor

Fran Guidry

Reaction score
This is one of my favorites of all the videos I've done. Chuck Moore of Moore Bettah `Ukulele made this incredible tenor for Ledward Kaapana, with inlay honoring the Kalapana black sand beach where Ledward grew up. This gorgeous creation plays and sounds just as amazing as it looks.

Ledward asked me to take some pictures of him with the uke, we caught some good light so I went ahead and shot a bit of video as well. Ledward didn't go for any of his trademark high drama pieces like "Killing Me Softly" or "Love Is Blue," instead he pulled this one out of the memory banks, a Hawaiian song from the 1920s, "Mama E."

Fran

I had already watched this video, and already thought it was fantastic. Very nice to know who did it. Great job!

Thanks, folks.

Thanks for all the kind comments. Hanging with Ledward is a very rewarding experience, if a bit humbling for a player.

Fran

Thanks for the video, Fran. Great song, beautiful uke and seems like a great moment to capture.

Led is a treasure! I love his reaction at the end of the video. I would love to see more with him and the Moore Bettah. A master player with one of the best ukes in the world... can't ask for much more than that.

BTW, that is probably my 3rd favorite Moore Bettah of all time. I love that uke!

sheet music

Does anyone know if there is sheet music (or tab) for uke available. Love the song and would like to learn it. I saw the E Mama E in the book HAWAIIAN UKULELE: THE EARLY METHODS compiled by Ron Middlebrook. Is this a similar version?

This is one of my favorites of all the videos I've done. Chuck Moore of Moore Bettah `Ukulele made this incredible tenor for Ledward Kaapana, with inlay honoring the Kalapana black sand beach where Ledward grew up. This gorgeous creation plays and sounds just as amazing as it looks.

Ledward asked me to take some pictures of him with the uke, we caught some good light so I went ahead and shot a bit of video as well. Ledward didn't go for any of his trademark high drama pieces like "Killing Me Softly" or "Love Is Blue," instead he pulled this one out of the memory banks, a Hawaiian song from the 1920s, "Mama E."

Fran

I watched this video over and over and still smile each time, such a beautiful song. Can anybody tab this or direct me to a tab of this? It would be greatly appreciated and I'm sure I'm not the only one looking for a tab.

Fran did such a great job of videoing that I'm sure someone could figure it out.

Top Bottom