PDA

View Full Version : Girl From Ipanema - Kimo Hussey Inspired and played on a MBU

Dan Uke
02-26-2013, 08:01 PM
This is my interpretation and was inspired / copied from Kimo Hussey's version. Since I can't play like him, I try to add some beats to make it my own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbdU2o3mRgM&feature=youtube_gdata

didgeridoo2
02-26-2013, 08:05 PM
Nice job, Daniel. It's a great song and you had that samba working. Lovely uke.

hawaii 50
02-26-2013, 08:13 PM
[QUOTE=nongdam;1198859]This is my interpretation and was inspired / copied from Kimo Hussey's version. Since I can't play like him, I try to add some beats to make it my own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbdU2o3mRgM&feature=youtube_gdata[/QUOTE

Nice Daniel..you know Kimo my all time Hero..I met him at the Ukulele Picnic..he a big Eric Devine Fan and Eric a big fan of Kimo also..
I once sent him an email,told him if I could play 1/1000th of how he plays I would be happy..

I can not believe you been playing only 1 and 1/2 years brah..you Must practice more than me..and I have more time than you nowadays..

take care
keep on strumming

Camsuke
02-26-2013, 08:40 PM
Sweet work Daniel, great song choice.

Dan Uke
02-26-2013, 08:43 PM
Thanks guys...It's closer to 2 years now as I started on Cinco de Mayo! Yes I must practice more than you Len. More than anything else, you have to be inspired by the instrument and I am lucky to have two right now.

Jeff, you gotta join the Westside Ukulele Ensemble as there's a couple people from UU.

hawaii 50
02-26-2013, 08:49 PM
Thanks guys...It's closer to 2 years now as I started on Cinco de Mayo! Yes I must practice more than you Len. More than anything else, you have to be inspired by the instrument and I am lucky to have two right now.

Jeff, you gotta join the Westside Ukulele Ensemble as there's a couple people from UU.

Daniel..I hope I can play like you in 2 years..right now I got 10 months in..and I love practicing..Lol and I gots all kinds of motivation too..today I been playing my Maui Music Koa tenor(1998 one) and it sounds so good! I put on some Fremont Blacklines on it 2 months ago and it sounds nice..

keep up the good work
see you

didgeridoo2
02-26-2013, 09:07 PM

Where and when? My time is limited and I'm in the Valley, but let me know. Thanks for the heads up, Daniel.

caukulele
02-27-2013, 02:55 AM
Wonderful playing! I loved it, you did a great job!

seeso
02-27-2013, 04:18 AM
Very nice, my friend!

wickedwahine11
02-27-2013, 07:57 AM

Great job, it sounds wonderful.

Wow, I can't believe you drive from Cerritos to West LA. I went to Santa Monica from Pasadena for lessons at McCabes and I thought that was a long commute.

hawaii 50
02-27-2013, 08:04 AM

Wow, I can't believe you drive from Cerritos to West LA. I went to Santa Monica from Pasadena for lessons at McCabes and I thought that was a long commute.

Daniel is one Driven ukulele player..

Dan Uke
02-27-2013, 08:18 AM
Where and when? My time is limited and I'm in the Valley, but let me know. Thanks for the heads up, Daniel.

http://www.westsideukes.com/

Days and times are posted.

I work in Los Angeles so it's only about 15 mins and there's a great ramen place that I eat before the meeting however the drive home is killer!! That's why I missed the last two as I was too tired from work...Should make it to the next one.

The one thing I won't do is take lessons, I rather save money and buy ukes! hehehe J/K...I would take lessons if I was in Hawaii...great teachers and I want to take it from someone well known...Len, you lucky guy!!

There's great teachers in Los Angeles too. I think everyone in my uke group is better in theory and chords!! Most take lessons at McCabes.

hawaii 50
02-27-2013, 08:39 AM
http://www.westsideukes.com/

Days and times are posted.

I work in Los Angeles so it's only about 15 mins and there's a great ramen place that I eat before the meeting however the drive home is killer!! That's why I missed the last two as I was too tired from work...Should make it to the next one.

The one thing I won't do is take lessons, I rather save money and buy ukes! hehehe J/K...I would take lessons if I was in Hawaii...great teachers and I want to take it from someone well known...Len, you lucky guy!!

There's great teachers in Los Angeles too. I think everyone in my uke group is better in theory and chords!! Most take lessons at McCabes.

Daniel..you going to like this..

I just called Kailua Music School and got my name on the wait list for Kimo Husseys' Workshop there Yahoo..
he now has close to the amount of students he looking for..

has always been my goal to take a workshop with him(8 1 hour sessions)

today I go to my Roy Sakuma lessons..

Dan Uke
02-27-2013, 11:39 AM
You lucky buggah!!

Daniel..you going to like this..

I just called Kailua Music School and got my name on the wait list for Kimo Husseys' Workshop there Yahoo..
he now has close to the amount of students he looking for..

has always been my goal to take a workshop with him(8 1 hour sessions)

today I go to my Roy Sakuma lessons..

23skidoo
02-28-2013, 03:07 AM
beautiful playing, Daniel - sounds great!

Dan Uke
02-28-2013, 07:36 PM
beautiful playing, Daniel - sounds great!

Thanks Bill

Craig
03-01-2013, 05:07 PM
Very nice! I too love Kimo's playing!

Dan Uke
03-02-2013, 12:02 PM
Very nice! I too love Kimo's playing!

Thanks Craig...means a lot coming from a player of your capabilities!

Trinimon
03-02-2013, 02:18 PM
Great job Daniel! Sounds awesome! Mahalo for sharing. :)

ttom58
03-03-2013, 04:52 PM
Nice! I like this song very much. I wish I could play it like you.

Newportlocal
03-03-2013, 05:58 PM
Don't know how I missed this earlier.
Great job Daniel.

Dan Uke
03-04-2013, 07:11 PM
Thanks guys...I appreciate you looking at my video

I saw Kimo in Hawaii and I was embarassed to tell him I copied 2 of his songs...I guess when I copy a couple more, I'll let him know. ;)

filipinouker
03-04-2013, 10:35 PM
This is my interpretation and was inspired / copied from Kimo Hussey's version. Since I can't play like him, I try to add some beats to make it my own.

Whoa! Wish I could play like you! Samba chords/beats are difficult to master. You play effortlessly!

Dan Uke
03-07-2013, 09:34 AM
Whoa! Wish I could play like you! Samba chords/beats are difficult to master. You play effortlessly!

Thank you...Chuck Moore actually helped me out...For Ipanema, you have to look at it in 8 counts; the down beats or strums are 1,2,8 and the upbeats are 3,4,5,6. Beat 7 pause but I cheat and play it as it helps me count to play the down beat for 8.

Dan Uke
03-14-2013, 08:11 AM
Nice! I like this song very much. I wish I could play it like you.

I've been watching your videos and I wish I can play like you!!!