PDA

View Full Version : Baritone Bargains

pdxuke
02-27-2013, 04:45 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/350725789278?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Butler Music on Ebay just acquired a boatload of Lanikai Baritones, LU21 B model, which I believe is a laminate like the Kala KA-B.

For anyone wanting to try a Baritone, these are great prices. There may be some cosmetic blems, but the uke is set up, frets filed, etc, and I just bought one delivered to my door for less than $70.

If you're the gambling type, you can even buy one for $32 with shipping and risk that it has some issues. I opted for the fully set up model listed at $69, offered $55, and with $14 shipping that means under $70.

I've never played a Lanikai barry, but what the heck. It gives me another instrument to tune a different way and use as a carry around leave at school instrument.

This is win/win. If you're curious, or want to have another, you simply can't beat the price.

When I get the instrument I'll report on the set-up, blem, etc. Butler fully warranties the instrument.

Go. Look!

Appalachian picker
02-27-2013, 04:48 AM
VERY interested to hear what these things play like and your impressions. I'm fighting to hold out for something vintage....but at this price and availability, it's hard to resist.

NewKid
02-27-2013, 04:57 AM
pdxuke, you've become the baritone king in such a short time! Wasn't it just a month or so ago that you were the Martin soprano king? I'm enjoying your posts and appreciate all the information. You definitely have me "jonesing" for one of those clean Favilla Baritones. Please ping me first if you find a better Favilla you like and want to pass your current one to me.

Don

Appalachian picker
02-27-2013, 05:04 AM
Ping me second!!

pdxuke
02-27-2013, 05:28 AM
pdxuke, you've become the baritone king in such a short time! Wasn't it just a month or so ago that you were the Martin soprano king? I'm enjoying your posts and appreciate all the information. You definitely have me "jonesing" for one of those clean Favilla Baritones. Please ping me first if you find a better Favilla you like and want to pass your current one to me.

Don
Hardly a king of anything. Just an enthusiastic fellow who enjoys playing music and trying new things. I still adore my soprano instruments. The baritone makes a perfect book end; and so much variety in sound and tuning makes it so much fun to play. I'm glad you're enjoying my journey, it's my pleasure to share my experience.

Patrick Madsen
02-27-2013, 05:30 AM
Yeah, PDX is the man for Baris. He got me on the Favilla bandwagon and if you want, check out my thread on dating my Favilla Bari. It's been a trip bringing it back to life. Will be putting on the Cuatro C string from Southcoast per PD's suggestion. The neck has the feel of a Martin just a tad thicker.

I'm going to be sending this to my brother as he would do well with a baritone. Thanks PDX.

OldePhart
02-27-2013, 07:17 AM
Somebody entered a video with one of these Lanikai baritones in the Seasons of the Ukulele challenge over in the contest forum last week. I remember commenting on it because it was the first I'd heard that Lanikai makes a baritone. The one in the video sounded pretty good but of course it is very difficult to judge from a video.

Given the model number it would be a "nato" wood laminate - sort of a variety of mahogany not that it matters much with laminates.

The LU21 series is near Lanikai's bottom of the food chain (the bottom being the LU-11 which is the same uke without the plastic body binding) - I've purchased a lot of them for kids. They almost always need a setup (usually just touching up the nut slots a bit) but once set up they make great starter ukes. The finish is also often pretty nappy - in some cases so much so that it almost feels like you could get a splinter playing - I've found that a good coat of paste wax buffed in good helps the "nap" lay down and also makes the uke look a little nicer.

They are quite rugged, and not real loud, but they do play well once set up. I imagine the LU-21 B would make a great beach bari - I might even be tempted to grab one of those myself.

John

wadleysf
02-27-2013, 08:02 AM
I opted for the fully set up model listed at $69, offered $55...
Go. Look!

I did! This is a great price. Almost worth getting one for the office just for a bit of down-time fun.

Out of interest - what was your first offer?

And for those out for a real "bargain" try item number 390550080633 - a skid of 108 unchecked boxed ukes - only $19.45 plus freight each. You just need to find 107 friends to take the rest off your hands... ;)

bonesigh
02-27-2013, 08:15 AM
I think you're going to like your purchase. I got one of these, a spruce top from Butler, has a slight buzz to it that I knew about but can easily fix. I haven't bothered yet though. I love it.

Kimosabe
02-27-2013, 08:28 AM
Yeah, I bought an inexpensive Lanakai bari with a minor blemish, spruce top. I wanted to have a special Cuatro tuning. definitely good enough. Bright because of the spruce. Not much over a hundred, no case. blemish very minor. Definitely good for hearing Cuatro tuning.

whatevershebringswesing
02-27-2013, 08:32 AM
Do they ship to the UK? My UK ebay login doesn't work in the US.

Yes it does, I just forgot the password. The postage is $60+

Appalachian picker
02-27-2013, 08:32 AM
I'm sitting on my hands as we speak...trying to avoid this temptation. I really really want a 50 - 60's vintage baritone. Doesn't even have to be a Favilla. A Harmony or Silvertone, or even a nice no name mahogany from that era would do. But oh the temptation of these Lanakais....I wonder how I can get it past my wife...or justify it to myself even???? I really don't need multiple ukuleles....but I could have different instruments set up with different tunigs.....oh the temptation!

Macmuse
02-27-2013, 10:10 AM
I really don't need multiple ukuleles....but I could have different instruments set up with different tunigs.....oh the temptation!

Need? Who said anything about need? (as I sit here hoping my 2nd baritone actually got delivered to my office today and will find it's way home to me)

I got one of the Lanikai blems and it's quite a nice baritone for the price.

;)

Appalachian picker
02-27-2013, 10:23 AM
Need? Who said anything about need? (as I sit here hoping my 2nd baritone actually got delivered to my office today and will find it's way home to me)

I got one of the Lanikai blems and it's quite a nice baritone for the price.

;)

Yeah I know...I'm a bit of an oddball surrounded by all the collectors on UU. I have not yet been bitten by the UAS bug and really have no desire to have lots of "stuff." I need to take another look at the Lanikai's in question....one more time...then take a look at the vintage bari's out there...and make a decision.

drbekken
02-28-2013, 10:14 AM
Ok. I could not resist it, so I just bought a 'gambler's special' baritone for $32. I'll be back with a report on the general condition of the uke once I have it in my house....oh yes indeed. With postage, it's still about $80, which won't set me back dramatically if the uke is terrible. Anyway, I am able to do some work, so I guess it'll be ok. Lanikai is, by the way, a decent brand.

Appalachian picker
02-28-2013, 10:50 AM
Looking forward to hearing about it. I'm planning on pulling the trigger on one of the "set-up" discounted Lanikai LU 21 B's tonight.

justinlcecil
02-28-2013, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the tip. In for one if he accepts my $55 offer. =)

wadleysf
02-28-2013, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the tip. In for one if he accepts my $55 offer. =)

Good luck - do let us know if you get one at that offer price!

OldePhart
02-28-2013, 01:50 PM
$49 for a setup one was rejected... :)

BTW, I've made at least one purchase from Butler music. I bought a Lanikai 8-string acoustic-electric from them a couple of years ago. It was straight out of the factory box - not set up (no promise of setup when I ordered it). It happened to come out of the factory box perfectly set up (a small miracle) and it really rocked plugged in. I gave it away though because acoustically it was like playing a wet dog (not Butler Music's fault, by any means).

They shipped really quickly and if I remember right the uke was packed in another box with some padding - but it's been a couple of years so I won't swear to it.

So, these guys have at least been around a while and aren't a "fly-by-night" outfit.

John

13down
02-28-2013, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the tip on the Butler factory blems! I just bought one!

The guy at Butler mentioned specifically that a technician had noticed a buzz and fixed it by raising the action. I at first thought, "I'll look for one that didn't have that issue." But then I realized that I'd be a fool to not buy a uke that's been semi-set up. Odds are, it'll have better action than the ones that were good enough but hadn't been touched at all. We'll see...

Macmuse
02-28-2013, 03:21 PM
They shipped really quickly and if I remember right the uke was packed in another box with some padding - but it's been a couple of years so I won't swear to it.

You have that right - my Lanikai baritone blem came in the Lanikai factory box packed with sufficient padding in a shipping box. Other than the fact it had already had the headstock hit off something to ding the finish, it arrived in great shape and I lucked out with a playable-out-of-the-box uke as well.

HeavyDuty
02-28-2013, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the lead - I've been toying with stringing up a bari as a "piccolo bass", and at that price I can't resist. Offer placed. :D

electrauke
02-28-2013, 07:57 PM
Hmmmm, I really want to know what they sound like, I might be getting me my first Baritone:)

mm stan
03-01-2013, 03:05 AM
this is tempting, even with a few baritones this sounds like a good deal....but my 29.99 rogue is my love man..

drbekken
03-01-2013, 04:55 AM
this is tempting, even with a few baritones this sounds like a good deal....but my 29.99 rogue is my love man..

A good Rogue baritone is pretty damn funky!

SweetWaterBlue
03-01-2013, 06:34 AM
These would probably make good cores for those of you wanting to make a homemade UBass. I wonder how they compare to the Makala baritones?

justinlcecil
03-01-2013, 09:52 AM
They did accept the offer of $55. It just took some waiting. So $69 shipped isnt too bad.

13down
03-01-2013, 02:05 PM
I bought an LU-21BEK (the acoustic-electric Lanikai baritone with the Fishman electronics) for $175 from Butler Music (it was a factory blem).

Little did I know, Austin Bazaar is offering that same model *new* for only $15 more. Damn I should've looked more.

Anyway, take advantage of this deal!
http://www.austinbazaar.com/Lanikai-LU-21BEK-Baritone-Ukulele-p/lan-lu-21bek.htm

HeavyDuty
03-02-2013, 04:54 AM
The took my $55 offer, too - it should be here Tuesday.

strumsilly
03-02-2013, 05:13 AM
i GOT A SPRUCE TOP BARI AND AN LU8 FROM BUTLER, VERY PLEASED WITH BOTH. HERE'S a vid of it strung with THE SOUTHCOAST FLATWOUNDS
www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VDWXd5T7dpc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kgrx-nImVxY

bnolsen
03-02-2013, 03:41 PM
darn you all. i put in a 55 offer for one of these. not sure what i'll do with it, i'm still just learning on sopranos.

HeavyDuty
03-05-2013, 02:20 AM
Did anyone get theirs yet? Mine is due today, but I'm not going to be a good reviewer as it will be my first uke.

pdxuke
03-05-2013, 03:59 AM
I think mine is due today as well.

joeygibson
03-05-2013, 05:51 AM
I bought one this morning, after reading this thread, and within 20 minutes I received an email saying it had shipped. That's pretty fast. I just hope this turns out better than the last time I bought a cheap baritone uke from ebay. That was not good, though, admittedly, that one was a cheap Chinese no-name-or-many-names uke.

drbekken
03-05-2013, 09:57 AM
I'm waiting for one of those 'gambler's special' baritones. I will be back with a gambler's special report.

bnolsen
03-05-2013, 10:13 AM
I'm waiting for one of those 'gambler's special' baritones. I will be back with a gambler's special report.

If I like the setup bari I may seriously consider adding gambler's special as well, also depending on other's reports. My eldest daughter is learning guitar at her mom's, I might consider getting another bari for her to play as well (or I'm just trying to justify pushing my UAS along).

justinlcecil
03-05-2013, 12:07 PM
Mine is due to arrive tomorrow morning. Hopefully this crummy cold weather won't be a problem.

Appalachian picker
03-05-2013, 05:44 PM
Anxious to hear how the ukes turn out.

pdxuke
03-05-2013, 05:48 PM
No show today. Expecting it tomorrow.

HeavyDuty
03-05-2013, 06:56 PM
Mine showed up and looks good. I can't offer an opinion on setup or tone, I don't play uke. :o

pdxuke
03-06-2013, 01:51 PM
Ok, it's here.

Cosmetics: pretty good. A few spots on fretboard. Nothing really that screams BLEM.
EDIT: Wound strings have some rust.

SET UP: Well, at least the frets aren't sharp. Action is high at the nut. I'm hoping putting Martin strings on it will take care of that, especially at the 1st string. I have some D'addario baritone strings--anybody try them?

I want to keep this tuned traditional DGBE with the wound strings. I'm now on a quest for the best ones.

SOUND: On par with the Kala (although action on the Kala was better out of the box.)

All in all, a good deal at $55. You have to understand I've been playing a Martin for two days, so...

But I'm pleased with it! Another tuning to add to the fleet!

I'll be interested how the gamblers specials are.

UkeKiddinMe
03-06-2013, 01:56 PM
Interesting thread. I'm about to join the baritone ranks with a low end Kala Makala.

justinlcecil
03-06-2013, 02:32 PM
Got the uke today. Seems to be pretty nice overall. Action is pretty nice actually. This is my first experience with the baritone and it has been a pretty good experience. Don't know if I am overly fond of the wound strings. In fact...I'm certain I would like to change them. Any recommendations? Anything out there closer to traditional uke tuning? With a High D perhaps?

pdxuke
03-06-2013, 03:42 PM
Got the uke today. Seems to be pretty nice overall. Action is pretty nice actually. This is my first experience with the baritone and it has been a pretty good experience. Don't know if I am overly fond of the wound strings. In fact...I'm certain I would like to change them. Any recommendations? Anything out there closer to traditional uke tuning? With a High D perhaps?

Southcoast has a dGBE set that I have, which is lovely. I also have my Kala tuned dGBE with the Lambchop patent pending D'Addario Cllasical guitar strings trick:

Buy two sets of these: http://www.amazon.com/DAddario-EJ45-Pro-Arte-Classical-Strings/dp/B000EEL6J6/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?s=musical-instruments&srs=2588030011&ie=UTF8&qid=1362623958&sr=1-3-fkmr0&keywords=d%26apos%3Baddario+guitar+strings

Using the 1st set, string the 1, 2, 3 string like you would guitar: EBG. Take the 2nd set E string, put it as the 4th string on the uke, and tune it to d.

I love this set. Feels and sounds great.

So those are two good options. :-)

Enjoy!

justinlcecil
03-06-2013, 03:59 PM
Can you tell me which southcoast set you have as far as tension? And the D'addario's arent wound right? Just the E and the A on set one which you disgard and use the E from the second set?

bnolsen
03-06-2013, 04:04 PM
fast shipping. 2 days and it was waiting for me.

this thing is friggin *HUGE*. I've gone over it twice, I can't see anything wrong. The wound strings came low out of the box, the B abit sharp, the E a bit flat. Tuned it up and its held nicely. Tuners are a bit gritty but are still fine.

I've checked the action twice with my snark sn8 tuner. At the first fret its one to two bars sharp. At the 12th fret the top two strings (unwound) are right on to 1 bar sharp. The 2 low wound strings are 3 bars sharp (and noticeable) at the 12th fret.

I'm actually pretty stinkin' impressed with the quality. I thing the strings are probably not the best, but passable. To me this seems to be too much like a guitar. Did I mention this thing is *HUGE*?

pdxuke
03-06-2013, 05:17 PM
Can you tell me which southcoast set you have as far as tension? And the D'addario's arent wound right? Just the E and the A on set one which you disgard and use the E from the second set?

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?77850-My-Baritone-Stringing-Report&p=1206577#post1206577
Just posted a string report that might be of interest.

Appalachian picker
03-06-2013, 06:26 PM
I'd love to see pictures of the Lanikai Barry's!

drbekken
03-12-2013, 08:27 AM
Got the 'gambler's special' today. It looks good; the only visible blemish is a couple of tiny marks on the fretboard's high end. Action is good too. However, there is a considerable fret buzz that I do not understand. I changed the stock aquila strings (which were rusty) to SC heavy, and the buzzing got worse. That surprised me. I will take it to a luthier buddy of mine and let him have a look. The instrument has a lovely tone, so I want to keep it.

Macmuse
03-12-2013, 09:01 AM
I'm actually pretty stinkin' impressed with the quality. I thing the strings are probably not the best, but passable. To me this seems to be too much like a guitar. Did I mention this thing is *HUGE*?

Take it to whatever guitar shop you have closest and have them pull out a dreadnought or super jumbo. THOSE are HUGE.

Your baritone will look tiny by comparison. ;)

It's all in one's perspective - Soprano < Baritone < Dreadnought.

And congrats to all the new baritone owners... welcome.

joeygibson
03-12-2013, 09:13 AM
Your baritone will look tiny by comparison. ;)

I received mine last Thursday (the fully setup one, not the gambler one), and I already love it. In my conservatory/office/junk-room where my instruments live, I have ukes ranging from soprano up to the new baritone, and then a big guitar. The baritone dwarfs the sopranos, but is itself dwarfed by the guitar.

justinlcecil
03-12-2013, 10:58 AM
Upon further inspection my "set up and ready to go" Bari has buzz on the e string on the 6th and 7th frets. Butler seems to be a class business though. They are sending me a replacement. The set up Ukes are supposed to have a dot in the sound hole... The first did not. I will report on the second one when I receive it.

drbekken
03-12-2013, 11:00 AM
Got the 'gambler's special' today. It looks good; the only visible blemish is a couple of tiny marks on the fretboard's high end. Action is good too. However, there is a considerable fret buzz that I do not understand. I changed the stock aquila strings (which were rusty) to SC heavy, and the buzzing got worse. That surprised me. I will take it to a luthier buddy of mine and let him have a look. The instrument has a lovely tone, so I want to keep it.

Strangely enough, the buzz decreases as the Southcoast strings are settling. I will put up a video soon.

strumsilly
03-12-2013, 11:18 AM
ordered a gambler today so I can try cuatro tuning on one. better hurry, I think they're down to 4000.

Dave-0
03-12-2013, 11:24 AM
You guys need to post pics and sound clips!!!

strumsilly
03-12-2013, 11:31 AM
I have some D'addario baritone strings--anybody try them?

I want to keep this tuned traditional DGBE with the wound strings. I'm now on a quest for the best ones.

I have a set of the titanium on my Pono. played here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kPGt2Fj1T0U

OldePhart
03-12-2013, 02:03 PM
I changed the stock aquila strings (which were rusty) to SC heavy, and the buzzing got worse. That surprised me. I will take it to a luthier buddy of mine and let him have a look. The instrument has a lovely tone, so I want to keep it.

Hmmm, that is strange, is it at a particular pitch, or across the fretboard? I have a tenor that doesn't like high tension - I put hard strings on it and it was happy for a while then started having a very noticeable resonant buzz on every F#, regardless of string or octave. It had never had a problem before with lighter strings, even when strung with a low-G. I tuned it down to Bb and the resonant buzz went away completely. It's now my Bb uke... :)

If it's across the board, I wonder if there is a loose brace inside? If it's not a resonance thing then the only thing I can think of that would make it get worse under higher tension would be something loose. If it was an action issue the buzzing should be reduced under higher tension because the higher tension will pull a little more relief into the neck.

Well...I guess if the strings you put on it are narrower they could be sitting deeper in the nut...

John

OldePhart
03-12-2013, 02:06 PM
ordered a gambler today so I can try cuatro tuning on one. better hurry, I think they're down to 4000.

BWAAAAA-HAAAA. But thanks for the reminder... :)

ickybaby
03-12-2013, 03:35 PM
They accepted my offer of $27 for a gambler....if it isn't playable then it becomes some art to hang on the wall. $41 total for wall art is a bargain!

Appalachian picker
03-12-2013, 06:18 PM
Are we ever going to see pics of these "bargain Barrys?"

pdxuke
03-12-2013, 06:24 PM
Yes. When that PITA day job permits me some good daylight to take them. saturday or Sunday, if I'm lucky. And sound samples.

On the buzz, I have a first fret, 4th string buzz with the high d Southcoast strings on my Martin. I shimmed it and it improved and is almost gone. I'm sure it's the difference in years of heavy wound strings on that string in the nut with the thin gauge of the high d. If I was convincedI was sticking with that stringing I'd get it adjusted, but I'm not convinced. I may wind up with Cuatro tuning, and a nice fat string again.

pdxuke
03-12-2013, 06:34 PM
And speaking of bargains, my $27 Rogue came in the mail today. The strings are horrific-able (a new word I made up to describe them.)

I have an email into Doc to see what he has his strung with. I'm considering just slapping a pair of Martin 630s on there just to see if I got something here I even want to keep.

I tuned it up out of the box and played it a bit and the bride said to me, "you have a $1300 Martin and you're playing THAT THING?" Haha. She has a point.

But it's not that bad a uke. And many have gotten some nice music out of it. Plus, perhaps I'll try Bb tuning :-)

Anyway, strings. Ideas?

drbekken
03-12-2013, 08:14 PM
And speaking of bargains, my $27 Rogue came in the mail today. The strings are horrific-able (a new word I made up to describe them.)

I have an email into Doc to see what he has his strung with. I'm considering just slapping a pair of Martin 630s on there just to see if I got something here I even want to keep.

I tuned it up out of the box and played it a bit and the bride said to me, "you have a $1300 Martin and you're playing THAT THING?" Haha. She has a point.

But it's not that bad a uke. And many have gotten some nice music out of it. Plus, perhaps I'll try Bb tuning :-)

Anyway, strings. Ideas?

Right now, I've got cheap GHS baritone strings on it; tuned DGBE. I just posted a video named 'Rogue Rag' on youtube. I have put new tuners on it - the Grover 88b friction tuners for baritones. The instrument became way better. It stays in tune, and the intonation seemed to improve. I don't know why, but I like the funkiness of it. But yes, it is CHEAP - in every sense of the word.

strumsilly
03-13-2013, 03:21 AM
They accepted my offer of $27 for a gambler....if it isn't playable then it becomes some art to hang on the wall. $41 total for wall art is a bargain!
man, I way overpaid, $42.80 shipped for mine!:D

drbekken
03-13-2013, 04:24 AM
You guys need to post pics and sound clips!!!

http://youtu.be/GmziCLdXp6E

Well, here it is. Strings changed to Southcoast heavy gauge, re-entrant. There is a buzz I need to look at, otherwise the ukulele is just fine.

kvehe
03-14-2013, 04:33 AM
Oh, you folks are so bad.....

My UAS was under control because I've been distracted lately by work being done on my house....but I caved this morning.

It should be here on Monday.

:):)

ChaosToo
03-14-2013, 05:01 AM
Were these the people that were offering pallet loads of ukes 'unseen' after such a high failure rate? I can't seem to find the thread that was on here.......

drbekken
03-14-2013, 05:41 AM
http://youtu.be/nALzYgYJH7A

Another film clip...regular GHS strings this time.
Beware: Joe Pass I ain't.

strumsilly
03-14-2013, 06:44 AM
Were these the people that were offering pallet loads of ukes 'unseen' after such a high failure rate? I can't seem to find the thread that was on here.......

these guys, read ad to bottom for palletloads
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LANIKAI-MODEL-LU-21T-TENOR-SIZE-UKULELE-GAMBLERS-SPECIAL-AS-IS-/251237754364?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7eefe5fc

Barbablanca
03-14-2013, 06:48 AM
For those wanting to avoid wound strings but still keep the Baritone depths, I'd recommend Ken Middleton's "Living Water" set. Here I am bashing out an original for Xmas on my cheap Brazilian Baritone strung with Ken's High D Baritone strings.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-o8Ut-WAYA

strumsilly
03-14-2013, 06:57 AM
I'm sitting on my hands as we speak...trying to avoid this temptation. I really really want a 50 - 60's vintage baritone. Doesn't even have to be a Favilla. A Harmony or Silvertone, or even a nice no name mahogany from that era would do. But oh the temptation of these Lanakais....I wonder how I can get it past my wife...or justify it to myself even???? I really don't need multiple ukuleles....but I could have different instruments set up with different tunigs.....oh the temptation!
I have a vintage Gibson I don't play much, as I like the SC flatwounds, and they don't work well with friction tuners, too hard to dial in. it would be a bit more than a Harmony though.

Barbablanca
03-14-2013, 07:31 AM
Here is another example of that Baritone + Living Water Combination recorded in the Kitchen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf8xRCxBj9E).

UncleMoon
03-14-2013, 01:16 PM
For those wanting to avoid wound strings but still keep the Baritone depths, I'd recommend Ken Middleton's "Living Water" set. Here I am bashing out an original for Xmas on my cheap Brazilian Baritone strung with Ken's High D Baritone strings.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-o8Ut-WAYA

I love the Living Water high d's on my baritone. Easy to play, easy on the fingers, and they sound awesome.

bnolsen
03-14-2013, 05:13 PM
Taking forever for the worths to settle. But I'm convinced the bridge is too high. Will need to work on sanding that to tweak the intonation down the frets. I may consider slightly tweaking the nut as well. No buzzing so far even with cuatro tuning! (yes wrong string set, i may swap the worths for the real cuatro-c set i now have). I do like the cuatro sound even though I still think the fret spacing is way too much.

justinlcecil
03-14-2013, 06:52 PM
Baritone take 2 was a complete and total success. Sounded sweet as can be with no buzz. Had the "set up" dot in the sound hole. They also put some new aquilas on it...felt kind of bad taking them off to put on the southcoast strings pdxuke recommended until i got those things in tune. WOW! just...WOW. Thanks pdxuke for the recommendation. Killer strings. They really make this thing sing.

Dan Uke
03-15-2013, 06:33 AM
I find this thread amusing as I'm sure Lanakai has blemished sop, con, ten yet most people would not buy it.

Appalachian picker
03-15-2013, 06:37 AM
I think it's interesting too. Seems that the barry tone sized ukulele's playability, tone etc. is less a function of quality differences than other sizes.

Pukulele Pete
03-15-2013, 07:33 AM
I always thought I would play only sopranos . Well , you guys got me and I ended up getting two gambler specials , a tenor and a baritone. I come from a guitar backround but I'm not sure how to tune the baritone , EADG , GDBE , or ????? Can someone help me figure this out , I know nothing about baritone ukes.

Barbablanca
03-15-2013, 07:58 AM
The latter of your two options GDBE :)

Pukulele Pete
03-15-2013, 10:02 AM

Yes, thanks. After asking the question I did a search here and found lots of info.

bnolsen
03-15-2013, 10:12 AM
Curse you all, I just underbid and got a setup soprano pineapple Lanakai from butler for another steal. Well I was sort of curious about getting a pineapple, last time I held one I sort of liked it.

Btw, if you search for LANIKAI MODEL LU-21P you'll find a gambler's special for 22USD.

Macmuse
03-15-2013, 11:45 AM
Curse you all...

I love how we can all externalize this UAS... I really do like the Lanikai baritone I got. But I can't blame anyone but myself. I got it before all of you got this thread rolling and I paid more than most of you for mine too. :P

Was still a deal and a great instrument for the price.

Ubutunes
03-15-2013, 12:17 PM
Offered $19 for a pineapple gambler special, we'll see what they say...

ickybaby
03-15-2013, 12:23 PM
Got my gambler baritone today. $41 bucks total. Only issues are cosmetic and slight rust on D string. The string is a non-issue as I will be replacing anyway. Funny, prior to this thread I didn't even know I wanted a baritone.

drbekken
03-15-2013, 02:04 PM
My baritone is actually so good that I just ordered a gambler's tenor...USD 25...With shipping added, that will still be way below half the regular shop prices over here. If I am lucky, set up issues will be minor. I keep my fingers crossed (not while playing, though).

OldePhart
03-15-2013, 02:28 PM

Actually...it would be DGBE... :)

John

strumsilly
03-18-2013, 12:14 PM
I bought a pineapple gamblers special too. very pleased with the gs bari. plays fine, compares favorably with my Pono mahog, but not in the looks dept.

strumsilly
03-18-2013, 12:16 PM
Offered $19 for a pineapple gambler special, we'll see what they say...
i OFFERED 18, THEN 20, THEY TOOK 20

Barbablanca
03-18-2013, 12:23 PM
Actually...it would be DGBE... :)

John

Uh duh!!! Senior moment or influence from Mandola... I claim the fifth! ;)

Pukulele Pete
03-18-2013, 01:35 PM
I think you can blame that on me , sorry

bnolsen
03-18-2013, 01:44 PM
I love how we can all externalize this UAS... I really do like the Lanikai baritone I got. But I can't blame anyone but myself. I got it before all of you got this thread rolling and I paid more than most of you for mine too. :P

Was still a deal and a great instrument for the price.

I am joking btw, these are screaming deals for this grade instrument. My bari is great I just need to take the bridge down a bit, maybe the nut just a touch. I would possibly consider buying some of these as gifts for non ukers.

OldePhart
03-18-2013, 01:52 PM

Now that is one heck of a clever pun! I wonder how many people got it... :)

John

Appalachian picker
03-18-2013, 05:29 PM
I'm still waiting for pics of the bargain Barry Tones........and sound clips would be awesome too.

pdxuke
03-18-2013, 06:38 PM
I've had such a bad cold over the weekend that I can't even croak out an intro. All will be coming.

drbekken
03-19-2013, 12:10 AM
I'm still waiting for pics of the bargain Barry Tones........and sound clips would be awesome too.

Check my youtube channel for 'Gambler's Special Jazz' - a short little video.

kvehe
03-20-2013, 02:05 AM
Hi, all - Mine arrived yesterday, and it's terrific. No blems, as far as I can tell, and well set-up. It sounds great, too. My Pono MB is a bit fuller, but the Lanikai is awfully close. Thanks for clueing me in! I really, really love baritones.

Dave-0
03-20-2013, 07:59 AM
hi Kathryn

Is your new barry tone a "Gambler's Special" or one of the set up instruments?

David

kvehe
03-20-2013, 08:08 AM
David -

It's one of the set-up ones. I brought it to the office today, and everyone loved it.

Kathryn

Barbablanca
03-20-2013, 11:16 AM
Now that is one heck of a clever pun! I wonder how many people got it... :)

John

That's another thing I love about this place: people get my sense of humour! :) I wondered if anyone would get it. Even if I explained it in Catalan they wouldn't get it here - no real tradition of punning. :(

strumsilly
03-22-2013, 03:11 AM
here you go. mine came without any obvious flaws other than the tarnished wound strings, which a bit of steel wool took care . the finish [if you call it that] is barely there on these, but for $43 shipped is awesome, really has a pretty good tone and plays well. see what you think.
http://youtu.be/ZlgYqqCBxjw

drbekken
03-22-2013, 02:30 PM
Wonderful song, Strumsilly!
Yesterday, I got my 'gambler tenor', and unfortunately I have to say I lost that gamble...unplayable instrument. I'll strip it of strings and tuners and get rid of it...

strumsilly
03-23-2013, 04:16 AM
Wonderful song, Strumsilly!
Yesterday, I got my 'gambler tenor', and unfortunately I have to say I lost that gamble...unplayable instrument. I'll strip it of strings and tuners and get rid of it...
sorry to hear that, my pineapple came and it's fine too. it sounds much more like the cheap uke it is than the bari, which I'm pretty impressed with, but it was only $30 shipped. great beginner uke at a toy price. I'm going to quit the gs while i'm ahead.

bnolsen
03-23-2013, 09:13 AM
sorry to hear that, my pineapple came and it's fine too. it sounds much more like the cheap uke it is than the bari, which I'm pretty impressed with, but it was only $30 shipped. great beginner uke at a toy price. I'm going to quit the gs while i'm ahead.

the pineapple is a grade above cheap uke IMHO. I got one and aside from having to really take down the nut its great, intonation and everything. The c string is a tad high down the frets, I wonder if that's due to the fat aquila c ad the uncompensated saddle. I'm very happy with the pineapple. I do notice the frets stick out a touch but not enough to cut.

I'm trying to build courage up to tackle the high saddle on the bari. saddles are a royal pita compared to nuts.

strumsilly
03-23-2013, 09:55 AM
It isn't bad , but when you have a Koaloha to compare it to, well it does sound a little thin. I took mine down at the nut too. that c string is fat.

OldePhart
03-23-2013, 10:13 AM
I'm trying to build courage up to tackle the high saddle on the bari. saddles are a royal pita compared to nuts.

I find just the opposite. With the saddle you can estimate how much material you want to remove, loosen (but not completely) the strings, then slip the saddle out and sand the bottom against a flat surface. As long as you don't loosen the strings enough that they come off the tuners this goes very quickly.

Make sure you get the nut right, first, though. A high nut is much worse for overall intonation and ease of play than a high saddle, so get it perfect, then work on the saddle.

John

bnolsen
03-23-2013, 01:00 PM
Make sure you get the nut right, first, though. A high nut is much worse for overall intonation and ease of play than a high saddle, so get it perfect, then work on the saddle.

Interesting with the bari it doesn't play sharp at the first fret (or just barely) but it feels a bit high to me playing wise. I'm just complaining about the bridge because it seems like I have to loosen the strings about 3x as much to remove the saddle than the nut. I lowered the saddle a bit for now. With CUATRO tuning the 2nd string is the thinnest, that's now good at the 12th fret. The other strings right now go about 3 marks sharp (snark tuner) at the 12th fret. Btw is this small amount of drift between the strings pretty common without a compensated saddle?

OldePhart
03-23-2013, 02:23 PM
Interesting with the bari it doesn't play sharp at the first fret (or just barely) but it feels a bit high to me playing wise. I'm just complaining about the bridge because it seems like I have to loosen the strings about 3x as much to remove the saddle than the nut. I lowered the saddle a bit for now. With CUATRO tuning the 2nd string is the thinnest, that's now good at the 12th fret. The other strings right now go about 3 marks sharp (snark tuner) at the 12th fret. Btw is this small amount of drift between the strings pretty common without a compensated saddle?

Yeah...getting the intonation at the 12th fret is mostly a factor of string selection (assuming the bridge is placed correctly, of course). Saddle height has far less affect on 12th fret intonation than nut height does on 1,2,3rd fret intonation. That's why I say get the nut right first. You can go from an outrageously high bridge saddle to an outrageously low one and only see maybe 3 or 4 cents change, tops (more likely less than 2). Getting the nut right can make 10, 15, 20 or even more cents difference at the first fret!

So, since the total lowering of the action is a combination of lowering the nut and saddle until you get close to risking fret buzz, it obviously pays to get the nut as low as possible then work the saddle down until you are either happy with the action or right on the edge of buzzing. If you start with the saddle it's easy to find yourself in a situation where you can't get the first-position intonation up to snuff without leveling the frets.

BTW, I used to just bring the nut slots down until the intonation at the first fret was very good. I've since started going even lower, and not even looking at the bridge height until I am happy with the fingering of the barred Bb (F on the bari). On the Lanikai seconds you might not get there without leveling the frets - though on typical "first" Lanikais I've never run into that problem as the fretwork on them is actually pretty decent.

John

bnolsen
03-23-2013, 02:37 PM
this for the advice about action refinement. I usually file the bottom of the nut to drop that down. is a bari more forgiving at the first fret? I've only adjusted sopranos so far and good intonation is right at the edge of buzz from my experience.

OldePhart
03-23-2013, 02:49 PM
this for the advice about action refinement. I usually file the bottom of the nut to drop that down. is a bari more forgiving at the first fret? I've only adjusted sopranos so far and good intonation is right at the edge of buzz from my experience.

I haven't had to adjust either of my baris (Mainland and Pono) as they were great right out of the box but I suspect if anything they are more prone to buzzing if there are any fret issues at all (more length and more string mass).

I don't like filing the bottom of a nut because I prefer to work each string down to its perfect point. Often, especially on inexpensive ukes with molded nuts, the thinner strings may be so low they start buzzing before that thick C (or G, in the case of a bari) gets low enough for good intonation. Of course, I've got a set of nut files because I've set up my own guitars for years.

If you're going to be doing a lot of this stuff just one double-sided nut file from stewmac.com in the .026/.032 size will handle most of your uke needs (wait, for baris you might want the next larger one, too).

John

Pukulele Pete
03-26-2013, 03:27 AM
Just got my " gamblers specials" a baritone and a tenor . the baritone seems good but the tenor has/had a bowed neck. I put two relief cuts in the back of the neck,straightened it with clamps and put titebond in the cuts. I just finished glueing it , I'll cross my fingers and see what happens. P.S. I just drilled diagonally and put dowels through the cuts.

Pukulele Pete
03-28-2013, 02:38 AM
My fix worked really well. The uke plays fine now , sounds OK but I'll try some new strings and see if it will sound better.

Jim Hanks
03-28-2013, 01:18 PM
Oh dear, I don't know what I was thinking but I just ordered one of these too. I ordered the "with setup" one for $55 plus shipping. I've never held a bari, and tenors I tried in the store felt too big, so we'll see how this goes. :rolleyes:

bnolsen
03-28-2013, 04:34 PM
its a fine instrument. you'll need to adjust the nut a bit, the action on both "set up" lanikais I got was high. I'm in the same boat as you, I just don't get the baritone. I think you should consider ordering a set of these CUATRO strings if you don't pick, it's a nice way to get a bari gCEa with still a bari sound.

http://www.southcoastukes.com/cuatro.htm LMC-NW

Jim Hanks
03-28-2013, 06:31 PM
Yes, I'm reading up on strings and tunings while I wait for the bari. Not sure what to try. I like the idea of all non-wounds so cuatro might be an option but I also like the idea of linear and lower so maybe Living Water low D or Worth browns. I see that Southcoast has linear Bb but has wounds in it. Maybe a special set of Living Water for linear A or Bb could also be put together. So many choices. :confused::confused:

Pukulele Pete
03-29-2013, 05:05 AM
Well , I had to put a third cut in the neck between the other two but now the neck is straight and it plays well.

kvehe
03-29-2013, 08:02 AM
I have now officially "infected" a colleague (Kris, for those of you who read about him in another thread two months ago) - he's a lapsed guitarist who played my Lanikai baritone and just ordered one for himself. The uke world is now one person larger.

bnolsen
03-29-2013, 03:17 PM
hopefully he got the 55USD setup one. I worked a bit on the nut today and have the action mostly down, although I think I may string swap again. All fun.

kvehe
03-29-2013, 03:31 PM
Yes, he did.

Cornfield
04-02-2013, 08:17 AM
I put an offer on a setup baritone today. We'll see if he accepts it. What are all of you doing for cases or gig bags for these cheapies?

Jim Hanks
04-02-2013, 09:10 AM
Just got mine in the mail today! Only played it about 5 minutes so far. So far the overall impression is positive:

Pros - low cost, sounds like a leedle geetar, looks good (for all laminate :) ), surprisingly comfortable (gonna have to give tenors another look)

Cons - wound strings (Living Waters on order), intonation not that good even on first few frets and off by ~15 cents by the 12th fret, would like lower action

bnolsen
04-02-2013, 09:21 AM
Cons - wound strings (Living Waters on order), intonation not that good even on first few frets and off by ~15 cents by the 12th fret, would like lower action

the saddle on mine was quite high as well, both with original strings and the ones I replaced them with. The action intonation was good but I took it down since my hands were getting tired so quickly. I don't like wounds strings either.

Cornfield
04-03-2013, 05:13 AM
Mine should be here on Friday. Is there a consensus on the best dGBE string set available for this uke?

Anyone try clawhammer style on this puppy?

Cornfield
04-08-2013, 10:50 AM
My setup Baritone arrived today. I can't see any obvious flaws on it. It's taking awhile to stretch out that D string. It came with a low D. My first change will probably be new strings with a reentrant d. I ordered the soft gig bag. UUUUGGGGGLLLLLYYYYYYY.

murrayatuptown
07-24-2013, 05:14 PM
Hello:

I'm new here - I essentially joined to respond to the Lanakai LU21-B from Butler Music thread.

I was going to buy a Rogue baritone & have it shipped to Florida where I would be staying for several days. I saw how many cheap instruments of a number of brands had a range of problems as-received, indicating a setup would be all but essential, especially if I wanted a usable instrument to arrive to use on vacation.

I wanted a baritone because I am learning guitar, and a full-size bari seemed like it might sound better than a dwarf travel guitar...and certainly cost less.

So I opted for the $64 refurb/setup + $14 shipping option. They shipped it so fast they never saw my e-mail requesting an alternate delivery location. I had intended to call in the morning to follow up but forgot and called about 5 PM after it had already been picked up by UPS. They successfully rerouted through UPS cust. svc., and it arrived safely before I did.

It was double-boxed.

I ordered from a different vendor the cheapest gig bag I could find...perhaps not a wise choice...it basically will keep rain, large insects and small animals out. It's a lined plastic zip bag with zero padding. I also ordered spare strings having no idea what the Lanakai was loaded with. I bought D'Addario Titanium (T2?) thinking they would be very different. I wanted wound D & G strings in case the uke came with plain nyla-sumthin'. Turns out the uke arrived with Aquila (would D & G), and to my ignorant surprise, Aquila is owned by D'Addario...so they're not going to be worlds apart.

The uke was surprisingly nice looking. I cannot see any flaws and can only feel one tiny particle in the finish on top if I run my fingers across it, but can't see where it is - trivial and unworthy of complaint. I was surprised that even the binding looks fine all the way around. I would like to think that despite recognizing the price, I would recognize any glaring defects...yet don't feel I need to rationalize anything on the basis of what I paid.

I shipped it home to Michigan USPS Parcel post for another $13.20 so my total shipping was less than what the airline would have charged me to check my other carry-on bag.

Subjective things...a friend who is focusing most of his musical energy in to ukes currently, said I might find the action rather high, as it makes for quick factory setup time.

I stuck a 'Snark' clamp on tuner on the headstock for the weekend and decided I could tell that the nut was high because I could see the first few frets going sharp...in my opinion...and I see the same with guitars that have been properly set up by a luthier...so I think it is my ignorant beginner technique...

The fingerboard I assume to be some species of rosewood is the only relatively rough part, and appears to be unfinished.

I took it to my friend who played it and said the action was unobjectionable but could optionally be lowered a bit. There was a slight gap and possibly tilt at the D side of the nut.

I did pry the nut off myself, and it was surprisingly difficult to do so...I almost broke an Xacto blade twisting under the slight gap. I took a tiny picture frame wall hanger and straightened it out with pliers, filed a 'knife-edge' and wiggled & tapped with a hammer to get it under the nut (strings loosened and elevated above the nut with a BIC pen

When I got the nut off, I could see that stain and finish had glued it to the fingerboard end...hence the effort required to break it loose. It appears to be some kind of hard plastic. The nut slot was fairly deep, at least as deep as the fingerboard thickness. The bottom of the nut was hollow, basically a rectangle with two bisecting lines (imagine a crosshair).

I scraped the stain and finish off the nut where it touched the fingerboard end, and filed just enough off the bottom of the nut by sliding it on a flat file (mill, bastard, run of the mill bastard, I don't know what it's called, but it's not a rat bastard...I think that's my hyped up name for a round file).

The nut still had a slight tendency to show a gap while resting in the slot on the neck before re-tensioning the strings. I felt the need to remove some minor white glue residue that came out from the fretboard/neckjoint and seemed to be a potential cause of non-flatness for the nut. I also scraped the slot with an Xacto blade to convince myself I didn't ignore teh potential of non-flatness.

I filed only enough to see that I had a feel for the process when I actually determine how much I want to remove. Re-tensioned, it does now sit flat under the string tension (~50-51# IIRC).

I did not glue the nut back yet

I still feel like the action is higher than I would like, but I am a beginner. I put an elastic & metal rod capo on at 1st fret. Snark tuning appears to have good intonation on G/B/E strings, and still slight sharpening at first two frets...high action.

I need to figure out what kind of measurements would make sense before messing with the nut height, or saddle height as needed.

coolkayaker1
07-24-2013, 05:58 PM
I don't know what to say, murrayatuptown, except YOU DA MAN!

Welcome to the insanity of the oo-koo-lele.

PTOEguy
07-24-2013, 08:22 PM
Just got around to working on my gambler's special baritone. I checked the action (2.75 mm at 12th fret - the nut was at about 1.5 mm) decided against messing with the action. Next I pulled off the strings, cleaned off some glue that was one fretboard and rubbed a little oil on the fretboard. Then I strung it with an Aquila Baritone GCEA (reentrant) string set.

Wow did that make a difference - with the strings that came on it (DGBE linear tuning) the tone was unrefined, a little boomy and lacking in focus. Tuning a 5th higher and with higher tension strings made a huge difference. The tone is a lot clearer, there is a lot more sustain, and it puts out a lot of sound. Not as refined a sound as my Ponos, but the GCEA strings put it way closer than it was with the DGBE strings.

Given the higher string tension, I may try to lower the action a little, but at this point I'm a touch reluctant because it just sounds incredible for a $29 (plus shipping) uke.

murrayatuptown
07-25-2013, 05:16 PM
PTOEguy, or anyone else...actually what I started looking for and found the Lanikai/Butler thread, was some setup dimensions to keep me from going overboard monkeying with it...

I was thinking mien needs some oil also....I use plain mineral oil, which is apparently an oddity in pharmacy/drugstores compared to an earlier era when apparently people drank the stuff (?!?)

So when I put mineral oil on the shopping list, my wife said she could only buy it in QUART bottles! I couldn't find it for a long time, then only in insane volumes!

I use 1 or 2 drops a year...maybe I don't have enough instruments...

I'm thinking some steel wool first, as the fingerboard is kind of rough...but the last steel wool I had smelled like a wet dog...if I wait until I find more, I'll never get around to it...maybe 600 grit silicon carbide paper...I stumbled on a piece of that...

I might look for a uke strap...

Thanks

murrayatuptown
07-25-2013, 05:18 PM
Hmmm, PTOEguy - Fox Valley...I lived in Naperville & Woodridge back in the mid-80's...bought my first guitar somewhere on Rt 83...can't remember the city...

Looks like it was coolkayaker1 I was telling about my Illinois guitar purchase...

bnolsen
07-26-2013, 05:23 AM
ahh good this thread came alive again. Can anyone with a decently intoned baritone lu21B give me approximate measurements (to a couple mm) they have for nut to 12 and 12 to saddle? Mine has little or no compensation and I was wondering how much it should have before I decide to start messing with it (strings, saddle or bridge).

PTOEguy
07-26-2013, 08:16 AM
Hmmm, PTOEguy - Fox Valley...I lived in Naperville & Woodridge back in the mid-80's...bought my first guitar somewhere on Rt 83...can't remember the city...

Blank look? Not catching the reference here. In my context PTOE refers to Professional Traffic Operations Engineer...

Captain Simian
07-26-2013, 09:35 AM
I was thinking mien needs some oil also....I use plain mineral oil, which is apparently an oddity in pharmacy/drugstores compared to an earlier era when apparently people drank the stuff (?!?)

So when I put mineral oil on the shopping list, my wife said she could only buy it in QUART bottles! I couldn't find it for a long time, then only in insane volumes!

I use 1 or 2 drops a year...maybe I don't have enough instruments...

I use Guitar Honey to condition my fretboards. Usually around $6 in a 2oz bottle. Doesn't sound like much but a little goes along way. It's been almost 2 years since I bought the bottle I'm currently on. Should be able to find most anywhere.

And yes, you don't have enough instruments. lol

murrayatuptown
08-08-2013, 04:26 PM
Blank look? Not catching the reference here. In my context PTOE refers to Professional Traffic Operations Engineer...

Somehow I thought PTOEguy was listed as Fox Valley (IL), but I see now it clearly says UT.

I don't know to whom I was responding to...not the first time, either!

murrayatuptown
08-08-2013, 04:37 PM
I'm not sure mine is inton(at)ed yet, but best I can measure with a ruler is inside edge of nut to center of 12th fret = 256 mm.

Center of 12th fret to trailing edge of saddle (outside edge, facing the bridge) on E string = 254.5 mm. On D string = 253 mm.

I didn't think until now that I maybe should have checked nut to 12th fret on both D and E strings, but I hope only the saddle is compensated...I think the 256 mm was measured on the E string...I think...

bnolsen
08-09-2013, 06:35 AM
My bad for not posting my original measurements (broken foot and the baritone is 2 flights of stairs away from my ruler).

I measured mine to be ~256.5mm both nut to 12 and 12 to saddle. So it goes sharp up the fretboard. Trying to see if strings might be enough to overcome this or if I have to move the bridge.

UncleMoon
08-09-2013, 03:24 PM
Somehow I thought PTOEguy was listed as Fox Valley (IL), but I see now it clearly says UT.

I don't know to whom I was responding to...not the first time, either!

that's coolkayaker1

mr roper
11-03-2013, 02:13 PM
I just got one of Butler's Lanikai Baritones. Not one of the setup ones or the gambler ones. $13.99 with $14 shipping for one that they judged as factory defective and had playability issues. It had several high frets and tarnished strings but no other issues. I leveled the frets and now have a decent uke for $27.99.

bnolsen
11-03-2013, 03:12 PM
I just got one of Butler's Lanikai Baritones. Not one of the setup ones or the gambler ones. $13.99 with $14 shipping for one that they judged as factory defective and had playability issues. It had several high frets and tarnished strings but no other issues. I leveled the frets and now have a decent uke for $27.99.

thats insane. did they check the neck, etc for you or you just went for it?

mr roper
11-03-2013, 03:21 PM
I just went for it. They describe these as defective, as is, and say it could have a backbow, fret problems, tarnished strings, bridge lift or cosmetic issues. You don't get to choose. The auction started at $9.99 and I won it at $13.99!

kohanmike
11-03-2013, 04:21 PM
Just to vouch for buying blems from Butler, a couple of weeks ago I bought a Lanikai monkey pod tenor cutaway with Fishman Sonicore electronics (hate it, so I changed it). They had a bunch on eBay and I plodded through all photos that showed the various blems until I found one that had very few. I got it for $110 plus $12.95 shipping. Normally sells for around $375.

Brisboy
11-05-2013, 12:57 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/350725789278?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Butler Music on Ebay just acquired a boatload of Lanikai Baritones, LU21 B model, which I believe is a laminate like the Kala KA-B.

For anyone wanting to try a Baritone, these are great prices. There may be some cosmetic blems, but the uke is set up, frets filed, etc, and I just bought one delivered to my door for less than $70.

If you're the gambling type, you can even buy one for $32 with shipping and risk that it has some issues. I opted for the fully set up model listed at $69, offered $55, and with $14 shipping that means under $70.

I've never played a Lanikai barry, but what the heck. It gives me another instrument to tune a different way and use as a carry around leave at school instrument.

This is win/win. If you're curious, or want to have another, you simply can't beat the price.

When I get the instrument I'll report on the set-up, blem, etc. Butler fully warranties the instrument.

Go. Look!

Thanks very much for sharing this. I got a "gambler's special" on the cheap. I offered $25 and they countered with $26 which with $54 postage to Australia was a decent bargain. It will go really nicely with my Lanikai Tenor. :D They have concerts on the same sort of deal if anyone's interested. :cool:

Flyinby
11-05-2013, 09:00 AM
Just to add to the statistics in the thread, I bought a Gambler's Special baritone a couple of months back, and it was perfect, didn't even have to adjust the string height. My son liked it so well I ordered him one just recently, and it was also fine, though the action was just slightly higher than I prefer. While I could have left it alone, I lowered the saddle height, which gave me a bit of a buzz on some frets so I leveled the frets and all was fine...#3 and 12 were a bit high. (the uke basically could have been left as it was when delivered, and it played fine, so this is not a complaint). For the price, compared to a $29 Rogue baritone I have, these are an outstanding deal, the sound, intonation, and construction are much, much better.

There were some pineapple sopranos available also, of which I got two to have painted by a local artist. They also were fine as far as playability, but I did notice a crooked brace inside one of them...solidly glued, but not straight, which is probably typical of why we were able to get these in the first place.

PTOEguy
02-14-2014, 01:25 PM
Butler Gambler's special stat updates: I've purchased a total of 8 baritone gamblers specials.

1 was great out of the box.
1 had a fairly large foward bow to the neck - not horrible if you didn't play to far up the neck
1 needed fret leveling but turned out OK
1 shows promise with fret leveling
4 had horrendous back bow (I'm going to try removing the fretboard and straightening, but don't expect much).

The name says it all - they are a gamble.

bnolsen
02-14-2014, 01:37 PM
I think I'll have to move the bridge on mine away from the nut, although I'll probably run through a few sets of strings first before doing such surgery. How difficult is it to remove a bridge on one of these lanikais?

hucklelele
02-14-2014, 03:05 PM
I bought a Gamblers Special a couple months back-

The bottom string was badly corroded and I replaced it with a low D wound string I had around

There was a bit of negative relief back bow near the top of the neck which caused some fret buzz-

I cured it mostly bt filing the frets near the pegstock- but it was tricky sighting the right ones to file- those already lower simply added to the buzz- but overall I filed most of the frets anmd eliminated most of the buzz-

the relief itself quickly seemed to improve a bit also, just being under tension- but you can't just wait for normal neck bow to catch up much- but still a positive factor

I put a string under the bridge bone temporarily to raise the action at that end- by that time the problem was almost all temporarily solved, and I had to make an effort to get a any buzz

the real solution came when I ordered these pieces- and just used the saddle bridge bone-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ivory-ABS-Nut-and-Saddle-Slotted-110mm-Rosewood-Bridge-Ukulele-Great-Parts-/331079902567?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item4d15e66567

this bone is more the normal size of a lot of ukes I think and the Lanikai's was about a millimeter to 1.5 mm or more shorter- so a taller bridge bone helped immensly

overall it was a bit more work than I'd like to put into a new instrument- but I almost always lower the action, and this was the first I had to do the reverse-

but I'm very happy with the baritone now, and have little invested in it- $42 delivered in fact

below on the left, next to a sanded down Rogue bari

jewel2001
02-17-2014, 05:33 AM
I just ordered one of the setup Barry's for $55 plus shipping. My First Baritone! I'm hoping I won't have to mess around with the setup...

Jim Hanks
02-17-2014, 07:05 AM
You shouldn't "have" to change the setup but you may "want" to lower the saddle height some more. I did. If you have a specific thought on that, you can try asking Butler about it before it ships. Otherwise, try it, and if you want it a little lower, a little sandpaper and elbow grease is all it takes.

jewel2001
02-18-2014, 08:46 AM
Woo Hoo, it's shipped! Thanks Jim, I haven't lowered a saddle before, but that does sound easier than sanding slots in the nut. I'll report in after I've received it and tested it out.

jewel2001
02-23-2014, 02:37 PM
Mine arrived a couple of days ago. Action: Although it was supposed to be setup, I need to lower the action at the nut on E & B. Blemishes: A couple of imperfections on the fretboard and a rough spot on the sound hole. Intonation is good at the first fret, a bit sharp at the 12th. Overall, a great buy and a great sounding Baritone for $69 including delivery.

arcaknob
03-23-2014, 08:34 AM
I took a chance on one of the gamblers specials and I think I got a very nice one. No buzzing and no blems that I can see. My problem is I'm new to the ukulele and my other uke is a soprano.
As a beginner I think the fret spacing difference is too great. I need to learn to play the soprano first, so I would like to give the baritone uke to someone here on the forums.
I put new Aquila strings on this uke, put lemon oil on the fretboard and put a couple coats of Howards Feed-N-Wax on it.
Because of shipping costs, US members only please.

Doug W
03-23-2014, 11:37 AM
I got a concert and a baritone Gambler's Special. The concert just required a little nut and saddle adjustment. The baritone, however, has a bit of a wavy neck. Probably the only real fix is a neck replacement, little bit more than I am prepared or qualified to tackle. So this one may become a lap nylon slide ukulele.

Pukulele Pete
03-24-2014, 12:30 AM
I bought the Gamblers special last year? and the tenor had a bent neck where the strings were almost touching the fretboard . I made three relief cuts in the back of the neck and then clamped the neck to a 2 x 4 the length of the neck and glued it up . It came out perfect . Now months later the neck is bent in the opposite direction. Moral of this story - wait a few months and maybe the neck will fix itself. ? ?
This week I will try the same method to see if I can straighten it again.

frankiej
04-08-2014, 03:33 PM
I received my "gambler's special" baritone a couple of days ago. I offered $27 and it was accepted.

The uke had a tarnished/rusted low "D" string, a few dings and dents, very minor, and several machine marks on the bridge. No biggie, all cosmetic stuff.

The more major issues: fairly bad backbow to the neck. It's going to require some heat/clamping, or maybe fretboard removal and planing the neck. There were several high frets. The bridge is glued on slightly off square/crooked causing bad intonation on the two low strings. The top has a pretty good kink in it around the bridge, which I'm thinking might be loose brace. Worst of all, the neck was glued on with the heel of the neck twisted. The fretboard is not coplanar with the top or bridge, and the tip of the neck heel is off center of the center line about 3/16" or so. I don't know if coplanar is the right word. If you place a winding stick on the body and one on the fretboard, they would be twisted, but the neck itself isn't twisted.

I'm going to steam off the neck, figure out a way to straighten the neck, maybe give it a smidge of relief, level the frets, re-glue the neck on straight, check for and fix any loose braces and give it a good setup. I'd like to plane the fretboard down a bit in the middle then deepen the fretslots, but my LU21 tenor has a plywood fretboard, and I would imagine this one would be the same. Hopefully I'll be able to make something out of it. Might even make a new neck for it.

Don't construe this as Butler Music bashing. He accurately represented it and stated the risks. I've got no complaints, other than my continuing horrendous luck lol. I enjoyed the anticipation of not knowing what I'd be getting, and I enjoy repairs like this.

Swampy Steve
04-09-2014, 04:19 AM
I offered 25.00 for the "gambler" , he took it. It seems fine,, I haven't done much other than take it out of the box. I know nothing on bari. I wonder can I tune it reentrant ,,, in the same intervals as a regulare uku lowere of course , but corresponding to the GCEA tuning?

bunnyf
04-09-2014, 03:57 PM
Bari is usually tuned dgbe linear, but you can get a set of gcea strings for it, either with high or low g. I love linear dgbe, but some folks only want to learn one set of chords and not get confused with different names for the same chord shape.

bnolsen
04-10-2014, 02:40 AM
i have mine cuatro tuned but i dont play it much. I'm considering taking it back to dgbe, mostly as a favor to visiting guitar players.

Iolaus
12-12-2014, 11:21 AM
I ordered the baritone Gambler's Special, and it was fine. ...a little rust on the strings, but the neck is straight and it plays well. The sound isn't quite as nice as my solid Mahogany Kala, but it's still a good sounding instrument. I'm giving it to someone as an 'impulse hand-me-down.' I just ordered a gig bag, pitch-pipe tuner, neck strap, and a new set of strings to get her started.

Lowla
02-28-2016, 02:19 PM
I know this thread is old, but these baritones are still available! I offered $27 for a gamblers special, and it was accepted, so total price came to $41 including shipping! Still a bargain more than a year later! I haven't been playing the uke for long, but did note buzzing on the first 2 strings. I had the local ukulele shop look it over and the neck was slightly twisted, and there is a bow in the body in front of the bridge. He adjusted the nut and saddle to compensate for the twist, and it plays fine! Ive been learning both the uke and guitar this past year, and I'm quite enjoying the baritone! I think it sounds better each time I play it. I left the original strings on it, but I may change them once I feel more knowledgeable on what the options are. It was due to this thread that I decided to take the chance, and I'm not disappointed! It's been fun to play!

UkieOkie
02-28-2016, 04:25 PM
Mine had old strings and some proud frets that caused buzzing. I replaced the strings and lowered and dressed a few of the frets that were high. It is loud for a Bari and sounds pretty good but is a little sharp way down the neck. Overall it was a great deal. I don't mind a little tinkering.

murrayatuptowngallery
06-09-2019, 01:14 PM
OK...I cut/pasted what I typed previously because I tend to get logged out while typing long things and lose it before it's saved. So I did that & it gets rejected as spam.

So I guess I have to fix the keyboard dysentery (no worries, it's not contagious).

Slightly short(er) version:

Basically, after giving up (I thought frets were in the wrong positions, but figured I don't know enough, and how hard can it be to CNC slot the fret locations in the right place? (apparently just as easy to do it wrong as right if the wrong data goes in).

So I dejectedly took it to a local luthier, feeling like my hopes of working on my own instruments were dashed if I couldn't even get the intonation usable.

The luthier agreed it was really bad, so it's not just my ears and pressing too hard. He thought removing the nut and shaving the end of the fretboard to shorten the nut-1st fret distance would work...he got it closer, & called me to pick it up. He had left for the day when I went to the store & they told me no charge. I was puzzled...did he feel sorry for me, or was it such a cool project he did me a favor. I talked to him a couple days later about this mystery and he said it was a PITA & thought I wanted to finish it. (learn something).

I've lost track of what came first, but I did not like nylon strings or the uke tone (body resonance or price point?), but there is no easy solution for the latter (yet).

I was using D'Addario bari uke strings at this point, so I noted they provide tension and Unit Weight (UW) data, as well as tension formulas on their website. A drop-out engineer, I started exploring strings with the same tension (scaled to a 20-1/8" scale...at least that seems to be what it is including the too long neck).

I chose a combination of wound phosphor bronze and plain steel strings that had the same tension, and a little closer to equal tension on each string. I did the math repeatedly, and talked to a guy on an acoustic guitar site who had built a couple tenor guitars (~ 23" scale). We traded some stories about tension limits and balance and dismissal of naysayers who said I can't put steel strings on because they will ruin the instrument. Tension is tension, essentially. If you put steel strings on a nylon string instrument and the total tension was significantly higher, yes, you are asking for trouble.

So, I scratched & clawed my way back here after re-discovering the site and that I had actually posted about this project (as murrayatuptown) earlier.

No one else is howling too much about intonation but maybe my changes have exaggerated the situation. I do doubt I am the only one with the nut-1st fret 'defect', but whatever...I am going to improve it if not make it right.

I'm doing a terrible job of keeping this story short.

I dubbed it a tiny tenor, have worked out a variety of string sets that are within 10% of the string tension of the D'Addario Titanium strings, and added a rosewood pair of gypsy mustache extensions. Leaving the 4-pole magnetic pickup off until I'm done.

Seriously, too much time & money to give up now. I never do things the easy way, apparently.

So I am measuring the pitch tuned open (Peterson phone app tuner) and at each fret with a clamp-style capo (Kyser thumbscrew type) to see if I can objectively measure repeatedly and figure out whether I need to do other things like compensate the saddle or do something different at the nut.

I realized from reading this thread I need to check/adjust the action before shortening the fretboard end too far.

I got some 12th fret action measurements here, but wonder if there is a recommended measurement at the nut or some intermediate position between nut and 12th fret.

Anyone still awake have a recommendation for additional height measurements?

Oh, I also tried another tuning technique because it was slightly different and less physical manipulation between measurements...tuning open for open octave (interestingly that is more stable across all 4 strings than the tuning open fundamental). I can repeatedly (with patience) tune the open string harmonic (octave) to within <1 cent except for the wound D (which is quite old) which I can get within 2.5 cents repeatedly. Then I measure only the fretted 12th octave...it is still sharp, but a different discrepancy than the other method. I imagine having an unknown scale length with the frets being forward of the correct position relative to the tuner end of the scale length may be part of any difference between the two approaches.

I can see some trends with increasing sharpness up the neck I find interesting.

Wound (PB) D3 increases in sharpness at each fret up the neck, with a slight decrease in the degree of increase (if that makes sense), then increases again. The 11th & 12th jump significantly sharper which makes me think I better check setup heights before correcting only the scale length relative to the fret locations.
,,cents sharp at Eb thru 12th D: 7,7,10,12,14,12,8,10,13,13,35,45. 2nd technique: +30 at 12th

Wound (PB) G3 -5,-4,-1,0, 1,7,11,13,13,13,15,12. 2nd technique +15 @ 12th.

plain steel B4 2,5,6,1,9,12,9,15,16,17,17,25. 2nd technique +28 @ 12th.

plain steel E4 ?, 2,5,6,6,8,5,6,8,9,9,13. 2nd technique +17 @ 12th. I don't remember if the missing 1st fret measurement was 0 or I forgot to write it down. I suspect I forgot as I would liek to have known if 0 happened.

A friend told me to look for phenomena like varying sharpness at different positions because fret position calculations are method dependent and intonation is a compromise across the neck...will never be perfect.

The G3 string is interesting as it's flat at 1st,2nd & 3rd frets & in tune at the 4th.

The variations may not all be fixable with just moving the nut closer to fret #1 G3 looks like it will get flatter (b vs #, not neck bow) on the first 4 if I work on reducing 5th thru 12th.

I didn't measure above 12th because the neck gets too thick there to use the capo and I can investigate that later.

Thanks for humoring me...anything to avoid practicing, it seems!

Murray