Baritone Bargains

pdxuke

Reaction score
http://www.ebay.com/itm/350725789278?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Butler Music on Ebay just acquired a boatload of Lanikai Baritones, LU21 B model, which I believe is a laminate like the Kala KA-B.

For anyone wanting to try a Baritone, these are great prices. There may be some cosmetic blems, but the uke is set up, frets filed, etc, and I just bought one delivered to my door for less than $70.

If you're the gambling type, you can even buy one for $32 with shipping and risk that it has some issues. I opted for the fully set up model listed at $69, offered $55, and with $14 shipping that means under $70.

I've never played a Lanikai barry, but what the heck. It gives me another instrument to tune a different way and use as a carry around leave at school instrument.

This is win/win. If you're curious, or want to have another, you simply can't beat the price.

When I get the instrument I'll report on the set-up, blem, etc. Butler fully warranties the instrument.

Go. Look!

VERY interested to hear what these things play like and your impressions. I'm fighting to hold out for something vintage....but at this price and availability, it's hard to resist.

pdxuke, you've become the baritone king in such a short time! Wasn't it just a month or so ago that you were the Martin soprano king? I'm enjoying your posts and appreciate all the information. You definitely have me "jonesing" for one of those clean Favilla Baritones. Please ping me first if you find a better Favilla you like and want to pass your current one to me.

Don

pdxuke, you've become the baritone king in such a short time! Wasn't it just a month or so ago that you were the Martin soprano king? I'm enjoying your posts and appreciate all the information. You definitely have me "jonesing" for one of those clean Favilla Baritones. Please ping me first if you find a better Favilla you like and want to pass your current one to me.

Don
Hardly a king of anything. Just an enthusiastic fellow who enjoys playing music and trying new things. I still adore my soprano instruments. The baritone makes a perfect book end; and so much variety in sound and tuning makes it so much fun to play. I'm glad you're enjoying my journey, it's my pleasure to share my experience.

Yeah, PDX is the man for Baris. He got me on the Favilla bandwagon and if you want, check out my thread on dating my Favilla Bari. It's been a trip bringing it back to life. Will be putting on the Cuatro C string from Southcoast per PD's suggestion. The neck has the feel of a Martin just a tad thicker.

I'm going to be sending this to my brother as he would do well with a baritone. Thanks PDX.

Somebody entered a video with one of these Lanikai baritones in the Seasons of the Ukulele challenge over in the contest forum last week. I remember commenting on it because it was the first I'd heard that Lanikai makes a baritone. The one in the video sounded pretty good but of course it is very difficult to judge from a video.

Given the model number it would be a "nato" wood laminate - sort of a variety of mahogany not that it matters much with laminates.

The LU21 series is near Lanikai's bottom of the food chain (the bottom being the LU-11 which is the same uke without the plastic body binding) - I've purchased a lot of them for kids. They almost always need a setup (usually just touching up the nut slots a bit) but once set up they make great starter ukes. The finish is also often pretty nappy - in some cases so much so that it almost feels like you could get a splinter playing - I've found that a good coat of paste wax buffed in good helps the "nap" lay down and also makes the uke look a little nicer.

They are quite rugged, and not real loud, but they do play well once set up. I imagine the LU-21 B would make a great beach bari - I might even be tempted to grab one of those myself.

John

I opted for the fully set up model listed at $69, offered $55...
Go. Look!

I did! This is a great price. Almost worth getting one for the office just for a bit of down-time fun.

Out of interest - what was your first offer?

And for those out for a real "bargain" try item number 390550080633 - a skid of 108 unchecked boxed ukes - only $19.45 plus freight each. You just need to find 107 friends to take the rest off your hands... ;)

Yeah, I bought an inexpensive Lanakai bari with a minor blemish, spruce top. I wanted to have a special Cuatro tuning. definitely good enough. Bright because of the spruce. Not much over a hundred, no case. blemish very minor. Definitely good for hearing Cuatro tuning.

Do they ship to the UK? My UK ebay login doesn't work in the US.

Yes it does, I just forgot the password. The postage is $60+

Last edited:
I'm sitting on my hands as we speak...trying to avoid this temptation. I really really want a 50 - 60's vintage baritone. Doesn't even have to be a Favilla. A Harmony or Silvertone, or even a nice no name mahogany from that era would do. But oh the temptation of these Lanakais....I wonder how I can get it past my wife...or justify it to myself even???? I really don't need multiple ukuleles....but I could have different instruments set up with different tunigs.....oh the temptation!

Last edited:
I really don't need multiple ukuleles....but I could have different instruments set up with different tunigs.....oh the temptation!

Need? Who said anything about need? (as I sit here hoping my 2nd baritone actually got delivered to my office today and will find it's way home to me)

I got one of the Lanikai blems and it's quite a nice baritone for the price.

;)

Need? Who said anything about need? (as I sit here hoping my 2nd baritone actually got delivered to my office today and will find it's way home to me)

I got one of the Lanikai blems and it's quite a nice baritone for the price.

;)

Yeah I know...I'm a bit of an oddball surrounded by all the collectors on UU. I have not yet been bitten by the UAS bug and really have no desire to have lots of "stuff." I need to take another look at the Lanikai's in question....one more time...then take a look at the vintage bari's out there...and make a decision.

Ok. I could not resist it, so I just bought a 'gambler's special' baritone for $32. I'll be back with a report on the general condition of the uke once I have it in my house....oh yes indeed. With postage, it's still about $80, which won't set me back dramatically if the uke is terrible. Anyway, I am able to do some work, so I guess it'll be ok. Lanikai is, by the way, a decent brand.

Last edited:
Looking forward to hearing about it. I'm planning on pulling the trigger on one of the "set-up" discounted Lanikai LU 21 B's tonight.

Thanks for the tip. In for one if he accepts my $55 offer. =)

$49 for a setup one was rejected... :)

BTW, I've made at least one purchase from Butler music. I bought a Lanikai 8-string acoustic-electric from them a couple of years ago. It was straight out of the factory box - not set up (no promise of setup when I ordered it). It happened to come out of the factory box perfectly set up (a small miracle) and it really rocked plugged in. I gave it away though because acoustically it was like playing a wet dog (not Butler Music's fault, by any means).

They shipped really quickly and if I remember right the uke was packed in another box with some padding - but it's been a couple of years so I won't swear to it.

So, these guys have at least been around a while and aren't a "fly-by-night" outfit.

John

Lanikai baritones

Thanks for the tip on the Butler factory blems! I just bought one!

The guy at Butler mentioned specifically that a technician had noticed a buzz and fixed it by raising the action. I at first thought, "I'll look for one that didn't have that issue." But then I realized that I'd be a fool to not buy a uke that's been semi-set up. Odds are, it'll have better action than the ones that were good enough but hadn't been touched at all. We'll see...

Top Bottom