KPK Acacia: How to "refinish" front of headstock?

ukemunga

Reaction score
So I removed what I felt was an unsightly and distracting logo sticker from the headstock by carefully "shaving" it away. I used a very sharp pocket knife but a single blade razor refill would be better.

The I sanded lightly with an emery board!

Did no damage to the wood but it removed the finish where I scraped the logo then sanded. I gave it a coat of lemon oil and buffed. Looks great and you can't tell except under bright light and close inspection. Just because the finish doesn't match.

So, string change time I'm going to remove the tuners and buff the top of the headstock with steel wool (?) and refinish. Anyone know what to use to match the exisiting finish? And how to apply?

Last edited:
Just an idea, but what about doing a thin veneer?

Tim, thanks but probably above my pay grade! It's basically in fine shape. Don't want to change the appearance. Just want to "rub something on" and buff for a semi-shine to match the general finish. But ive never really done any wood finishing.

Tung oil? Minwax? Linseed oil? Something else? I guess that's what I mean? I don't know what kind of finish each ends up with.

Last edited:
Top Bottom