Tiwi Vintage-Style Maple Soprano - New Uke Day!

H

Hippie Dribble

hey gang

received this sweetie a couple of days back from John Cope who is an artist and uke builder from Reno.

this is his Kumalae style soprano design which he handbuilt for me out of maple. the top is fir, mahogany neck, koa headplate, walnut fretboard with diamond shaped maple inlays, maple fretboard binding and bridge, bone nut and saddle, friction tuners and shellac finish.

It's so lovely, especially beautiful to hold, curvy in all the right places and has a very bright and sweet tone. Just a joy to play, I'm gone on her.

Here are some pics:

019.jpg015.jpg021.jpg020.jpg

YAY!!! :)

Wow, Jon!!! That is one gorgeous uke!!! Are we going to get to hear her -- and you -- sing together soon? Can't wait!!! Congratulations on your new girl!!! :)

Aloha Bruddah Jon,
Oh boy that looks sweet....wow you never mentioned it to me....oh darn..love those figure 8 vintage ukes...you one lucky guy...Happy Strummings and thank you for sharing..
so happy for you man...will wait for the videos man

What a sweet little peanut! I can't wait to hear the music that comes out.

Jon's a good cat. He showed me a build of his last year out of 'spare wood' that was AMAZINGLY light. Feather light.

Nice uke!

yeah Scott, lovely guy. This one is just as you describe as well. I also think he's really refining his finishing skills, this is very very clean and mirror-like. Also has a very slim neck profile, really nicely done all round.

I also forgot to mention the rosette: it's a combination of koa, walnut, sycamore, mango and bloodwood. It's getting a lot of playtime so far... :)

:stop: aaah mate, cannot be disclosed except to say....more expensive than a Mahalo and cheaper than a Black Bear :)

Top Bottom