I no longer own any Tenors!

Paul December

Reaction score
I sold-off all my Tenors! :eek:
:confused: Why?
I wanted something with a Low G and after trying various strings and different woods I was never happy with the result. While some got close...
...I could never get the Low G evenly integrated sound-wise with the other strings. Always sounded like an afterthought.
:confused: Solution?
Baritone Linear C tuning :)
All the strings are now evenly matched, fantastic sustain, deep/full lows, and loud.
Yes, it loses in the "portability" department, but a tenor isn't exactly small either. I now only have ukes at the ends-of-the-scale-spectrum: Baritone & Soprano

Oh, here is my new uke (pics by Andrew)

p1.jpgp2.jpg

Last edited:
I really love that back!

Conga rats! Glad you finally found the sound you were chasing. :) It's such a nice feeling!

/ I agree with you fully, Paul D. Nice baritone! Love cutaway (although on a baritone, my fingers aren't long enough to fret past seven, let alone 12+...)

I despise low G for precisely the reason you mention. I've tried it many times. I even tried a low D (I think) tuning from SOuthcoast, and although I adore the strings, I disliked even that). On a youtube video, even, when someone is playing low G, I can hear ot droning away. Must be me (the exception is if they are using all barre chords, so not an open low G).

I've never tried C linear on a baritone. I like re-entrant, so I go dGBE rather than DGBE. But, I'm with you, brother PD.

Agree about soprano and sometimes concert (you taught me that) and baritone at times...but little need for tenor. Funny!

Last edited:
Heh, heh. Up until a couple of months ago I was planning on selling both of my tenors because they didn't get much play since I'd finally put pickups in my other ukes. Sopranos (and longneck sopranos) and baritones were all I wanted to play. Then, a few days ago I decided to nuckle down and spend enough time in the woodshed to learn to really play instrumental solos. Now I'm looking at my tenors and thinking, these are nice, but some day I'm going to want a really premium tenor...

Actually, I think what I'd really like to have is a longneck (concert scale) soprano but with a neck that is wide like a tenor neck. I love the scale length of my longnecks but the necks are basically as narrow as sopranos...

John

I've never owned a tenor. Didn't really appeal.

I have one concert and the rest are soprano...

Oh! Except for a U-Bass.

I've never owned a tenor. Didn't really appeal.

I have one concert and the rest are soprano...

Oh! Except for a U-Bass.

I'm starting to think that (Low G) tenors fight against physics...
...just add those extra 3" and everything works-its-way-out.
And the flip side is, if I don't want the Low G, I'd rather be strumming a Soprano.

I think for me it's the string tension on the tenors that I could never get used too. Strings always feel that little bit too hard and tight, I prefer the short scale ukes and baritones for the more relaxed tension, much easier to play for me anyway

I think for me it's the string tension on the tenors that I could never get used too. Strings always feel that little bit too hard and tight, I prefer the short scale ukes and baritones for the more relaxed tension, much easier to play for me anyway

I got a tenor but enjoy my concert and smaller better as well.

Hi John, you might want to check out the Kelii longneck soprano. they have wide string-spacing at 1.4 inches, PuaPua have them and Mim might be able to conjure one up.
Heh, heh. Up until a couple of months ago I was planning on selling both of my tenors because they didn't get much play since I'd finally put pickups in my other ukes. Sopranos (and longneck sopranos) and baritones were all I wanted to play. Then, a few days ago I decided to nuckle down and spend enough time in the woodshed to learn to really play instrumental solos. Now I'm looking at my tenors and thinking, these are nice, but some day I'm going to want a really premium tenor...

Actually, I think what I'd really like to have is a longneck (concert scale) soprano but with a neck that is wide like a tenor neck. I love the scale length of my longnecks but the necks are basically as narrow as sopranos...

John

My only tenor is an 8-string, and I wish it were a concert. Concert scale is where I'm most comfortable, and they sound the sweetest to me, though I do enjoy bouncing up to the bari quite a bit.

Definitely a to each his/her own thing though. In the right hands, tenors are magic.

I found I liked my concert better when I tuned it down to Bb and the lower string tension was a bonus.

OTOH, I like the brightness of my D-tuned soprano in spite of the higher string tension.

If I did get a tenor, I would almost certainly tune it down - at least to Bb and quite likely even to A.

Top Bottom