PDA

View Full Version : I no longer own any Tenors!

Paul December
02-28-2013, 04:02 AM
I sold-off all my Tenors! :eek:
:confused: Why?
I wanted something with a Low G and after trying various strings and different woods I was never happy with the result. While some got close...
...I could never get the Low G evenly integrated sound-wise with the other strings. Always sounded like an afterthought.
:confused: Solution?
Baritone Linear C tuning :)
All the strings are now evenly matched, fantastic sustain, deep/full lows, and loud.
Yes, it loses in the "portability" department, but a tenor isn't exactly small either. I now only have ukes at the ends-of-the-scale-spectrum: Baritone & Soprano

Oh, here is my new uke (pics by Andrew)

didgeridoo2
02-28-2013, 04:15 AM
That's a nice looking Pono, Paul. I really like my Pono Baritone. What model is that?

Paul December
02-28-2013, 04:48 AM
That's a nice looking Pono, Paul. I really like my Pono Baritone. What model is that?

Thanks, it is the Pono ABC- Acacia Baritone Pro Classic- Cedar Top Cutaway (http://www.theukulelesite.com/pono-abc-acacia-baritone-pro-classic-cedar-top-cutaway.html)

Skitzic
02-28-2013, 04:52 AM
I really love that back!

Conga rats! Glad you finally found the sound you were chasing. :) It's such a nice feeling!

dnewton2
02-28-2013, 05:34 AM
I havent owned a tenor in years. I never got used to the scale.

dkcrown
02-28-2013, 05:37 AM
Funny. All I have is tenors. Oh, and one KoAloha concert.

coolkayaker1
02-28-2013, 05:46 AM
/ I agree with you fully, Paul D. Nice baritone! Love cutaway (although on a baritone, my fingers aren't long enough to fret past seven, let alone 12+...)

I despise low G for precisely the reason you mention. I've tried it many times. I even tried a low D (I think) tuning from SOuthcoast, and although I adore the strings, I disliked even that). On a youtube video, even, when someone is playing low G, I can hear ot droning away. Must be me (the exception is if they are using all barre chords, so not an open low G).

I've never tried C linear on a baritone. I like re-entrant, so I go dGBE rather than DGBE. But, I'm with you, brother PD.

Agree about soprano and sometimes concert (you taught me that) and baritone at times...but little need for tenor. Funny!

coolkayaker1
02-28-2013, 05:46 AM
im selling off my tenors, too anyone want one, c my signature

didgeridoo2
02-28-2013, 06:03 AM
Funny. All I have is tenors. Oh, and one KoAloha concert.
My collection is tenor heavy. I have one arriving today, in fact. But I do have a soprano, concert and baritone.

OldePhart
02-28-2013, 06:18 AM
Heh, heh. Up until a couple of months ago I was planning on selling both of my tenors because they didn't get much play since I'd finally put pickups in my other ukes. Sopranos (and longneck sopranos) and baritones were all I wanted to play. Then, a few days ago I decided to nuckle down and spend enough time in the woodshed to learn to really play instrumental solos. Now I'm looking at my tenors and thinking, these are nice, but some day I'm going to want a really premium tenor...

Actually, I think what I'd really like to have is a longneck (concert scale) soprano but with a neck that is wide like a tenor neck. I love the scale length of my longnecks but the necks are basically as narrow as sopranos...

John

Tootler
02-28-2013, 06:31 AM
I've never owned a tenor. Didn't really appeal.

I have one concert and the rest are soprano...

Oh! Except for a U-Bass.

Paul December
02-28-2013, 07:03 AM
I've never owned a tenor. Didn't really appeal.

I have one concert and the rest are soprano...

Oh! Except for a U-Bass.

I'm starting to think that (Low G) tenors fight against physics...
...just add those extra 3" and everything works-its-way-out.
And the flip side is, if I don't want the Low G, I'd rather be strumming a Soprano.

Hippie Dribble
02-28-2013, 07:07 AM
I think for me it's the string tension on the tenors that I could never get used too. Strings always feel that little bit too hard and tight, I prefer the short scale ukes and baritones for the more relaxed tension, much easier to play for me anyway

glass
02-28-2013, 07:32 AM
I think for me it's the string tension on the tenors that I could never get used too. Strings always feel that little bit too hard and tight, I prefer the short scale ukes and baritones for the more relaxed tension, much easier to play for me anyway

I got a tenor but enjoy my concert and smaller better as well.

Dan Uke
02-28-2013, 07:39 AM
Whatever makes people happy...It's all good

chrimess
02-28-2013, 07:44 AM
Hi John, you might want to check out the Kelii longneck soprano. they have wide string-spacing at 1.4 inches, PuaPua have them and Mim might be able to conjure one up.

Heh, heh. Up until a couple of months ago I was planning on selling both of my tenors because they didn't get much play since I'd finally put pickups in my other ukes. Sopranos (and longneck sopranos) and baritones were all I wanted to play. Then, a few days ago I decided to nuckle down and spend enough time in the woodshed to learn to really play instrumental solos. Now I'm looking at my tenors and thinking, these are nice, but some day I'm going to want a really premium tenor...

Actually, I think what I'd really like to have is a longneck (concert scale) soprano but with a neck that is wide like a tenor neck. I love the scale length of my longnecks but the necks are basically as narrow as sopranos...

John

coolkayaker1
02-28-2013, 07:50 AM
Whatever makes people happy...It's all good

Unless it's a tenor.

:o

Dan Uke
02-28-2013, 08:05 AM
Unless it's a tenor.

:o

Hopefully people are dumping them with a huge discount!! I was emailing Chuck the other day and tenors are all they want these days.

Maybe people want cheap stuff for sopranos :p

mattydee
02-28-2013, 08:11 AM
My only tenor is an 8-string, and I wish it were a concert. Concert scale is where I'm most comfortable, and they sound the sweetest to me, though I do enjoy bouncing up to the bari quite a bit.

Definitely a to each his/her own thing though. In the right hands, tenors are magic.

Tootler
02-28-2013, 08:33 AM

I found I liked my concert better when I tuned it down to Bb and the lower string tension was a bonus.

OTOH, I like the brightness of my D-tuned soprano in spite of the higher string tension.

If I did get a tenor, I would almost certainly tune it down - at least to Bb and quite likely even to A.

PeteyHoudini
02-28-2013, 10:13 AM
My first tenor was the Triumph TR400 Triangular with three sound holes like Swiss cheese. I still have it and have a low G on it. I can't seem to part with though I haven't played it for ages.

Petey

mds725
02-28-2013, 10:31 AM
Congratulations finding the sound you wanted. I know it can be a journey.

My first ever ukulele was a concert (Kala solid mahogany), but I quickly moved to tenor and then to linear tuning. I also hated the dominance of a wound low-G string, so I had one of my Kamakas strung with Worth clears (nonwound low G) and I've really enjoyed it. My Mya-Moe tenor has wound strings, but they seem to be balanced nicely and I actually like them. However, I've recently migrated to baritones, which are, for now, tuned linear G. I plan to put linear C strings on one of them someday, and the Compass Rose I have on order is supposed to be strung linear C but an octave lower than tenor tuning. I still use my tenors fore Hawaiian music, which seems to be the bulk of my group playing, but when I'm playing popular music by myself I use a baritone or a tenor (4-string) guitar tuned like a baritone.

PeteyHoudini
02-28-2013, 10:46 AM
... However, I've recently migrated to baritones, which are, for now, tuned linear G.
I wish Martin guitars would bring back a new baritone! hehe I'd buy one!

Petey

Kamanaaloha
02-28-2013, 10:59 AM
I find this all funny. Ultimately, you have to be happy, and why would anyone play anything and not be happy?

That being said, I have big hands and longer fingers...so I have no trouble with "reaching". I have trouble fitting my fingers into teeny soprano frets...and they look funny against my hands...only concerts and larger for me...

guitarsnrotts
02-28-2013, 11:07 AM
Never was crazy about the Baritone and it's tuning. Figured if I wanted a DGBE, I'd just play the highest 4 strings on my classical guitar. The only strings that I found I like on my tenor are Fremont Blacklines with a non-wound low-G. Nice balanced sound and just the right tension.

chrimess
02-28-2013, 11:07 AM
just like you say, the beauty is in diversity- to each their own, that is why the tallest NBA player is Chinese, the best golfer black and the richest man Mexican...

I find this all funny. Ultimately, you have to be happy, and why would anyone play anything and not be happy?

That being said, I have big hands and longer fingers...so I have no trouble with "reaching". I have trouble fitting my fingers into teeny soprano frets...and they look funny against my hands...only concerts and larger for me...

OldePhart
02-28-2013, 11:45 AM
Hi John, you might want to check out the Kelii longneck soprano. they have wide string-spacing at 1.4 inches, PuaPua have them and Mim might be able to conjure one up.

Is that the distance between the outside strings or the nut width? Probably the latter.

Interestingly, I just got a ruler and checked and my KoAloha longneck is actually as wide at the nut as my Mainland tenors (or within a very tiny fraction of an inch) - I don't know why it feels so much narrower. It is a lot thinner, though - I seem to like chunkier necks so that might be what's throwing me off.

EDIT: Okay, maybe I figured it out. I got to thinking about it and it is really the right hand that feels pinched in when I'm picking on the longneck. The KoAloha longneck is about 27mm between outside strings at the nut and 36mm at the bridge. The Mainland tenors are about 28mm spread at the nut but a hair over 40mm at the bridge. Hard to believe that 4mm spread would make so much difference but that is the only real difference I see, because I actually like the lateral stretch of the longneck better for most stuff.

John

OldePhart
02-28-2013, 11:59 AM
I found I liked my concert better when I tuned it down to Bb and the lower string tension was a bonus.

OTOH, I like the brightness of my D-tuned soprano in spite of the higher string tension.

If I did get a tenor, I would almost certainly tune it down - at least to Bb and quite likely even to A.

I put CH strings on one of my tenors and tuned it down to Bb - very lovely there and intonates very well. The strings are a little softer than I'd like in that tuning (I like hard strings, that was why I put the CH strings on to begin with), but that is the tuning where those strings work the best on that particular uke. I liked the feel better at C - and if anything it intonated a fraction better there - but under that much tension the uke developed a resonant buzz at G (every G, regardless of string and fret). Tuned it down to Bb and the resonant problem went away and it sounds lovely so, it's now my Bb uke.

I now have ukes tuned in Bb, C, & D, and baris in reentrant and linear G. Am planning to experiment with my Kiwaya longneck soprano on next string change and see if I can find strings that it likes around Bb or B.

John

chrimess
02-28-2013, 12:44 PM
Hi there,
1.41 is indeed the nut width and it has generous spacing at the saddle.

Is that the distance between the outside strings or the nut width? Probably the latter.

Interestingly, I just got a ruler and checked and my KoAloha longneck is actually as wide at the nut as my Mainland tenors (or within a very tiny fraction of an inch) - I don't know why it feels so much narrower. It is a lot thinner, though - I seem to like chunkier necks so that might be what's throwing me off.

EDIT: Okay, maybe I figured it out. I got to thinking about it and it is really the right hand that feels pinched in when I'm picking on the longneck. The KoAloha longneck is about 27mm between outside strings at the nut and 36mm at the bridge. The Mainland tenors are about 28mm spread at the nut but a hair over 40mm at the bridge. Hard to believe that 4mm spread would make so much difference but that is the only real difference I see, because I actually like the lateral stretch of the longneck better for most stuff.

John

Tootler
02-28-2013, 12:57 PM
I put CH strings on one of my tenors and tuned it down to Bb - very lovely there and intonates very well. The strings are a little softer than I'd like in that tuning (I like hard strings, that was why I put the CH strings on to begin with), but that is the tuning where those strings work the best on that particular uke. I liked the feel better at C - and if anything it intonated a fraction better there - but under that much tension the uke developed a resonant buzz at G (every G, regardless of string and fret). Tuned it down to Bb and the resonant problem went away and it sounds lovely so, it's now my Bb uke.

I now have ukes tuned in Bb, C, & D, and baris in reentrant and linear G. Am planning to experiment with my Kiwaya longneck soprano on next string change and see if I can find strings that it likes around Bb or B.

John

I had Aquilas on my concert when I tuned it down but I found that the C string was a bit dead at the lower pitch so I changed them for Living Waters and it made all the difference. It has a mellower sound than it had in C-tuning but all the strings ring nicely.

Paul December
02-28-2013, 01:28 PM

:confused: Who is suggesting to do otherwise?
...That wouldn't make sense, would it? :p

PTOEguy
02-28-2013, 03:25 PM
I've been having the oposite experience. Started mostly playing soprano, went to concert, bought a baritone and then got a tenor. I had a hard time warming up the tenor and now I play it most of all. For me it came down to getting the right strings on it. I didn't like the higher tension and once I got something a little less tight (and tuned it re-entrant) I play it all the time.

Macmuse
02-28-2013, 03:34 PM
For me it came down to getting the right strings on it. I didn't like the higher tension and once I got something a little less tight (and tuned it re-entrant) I play it all the time.

What strings did you settle on? I'm still sorting out the higher tension on one of mine.