New "Primitive Style" Soprano Ukulele by David Newton $500.

David Newton

Reaction score
SOLD, thank you!

All-Honduras Mahogany Soprano with primitive-style flush fretboard. Spanish Cedar neck, 1-7/16" bone nut & bone saddle. All hot-hide-glue construction, french polish finish. Grover Deluxe Sta-tite friction tuners, Aquila Nylgut strings. Pleasant woody tone, plenty of volume, the palm trees sway when you play.
The case is a "hard-foam-canvas-zippered" case.

uke%2010%2018%201.jpg

uke%2010%2018%202.jpg

uke%2010%2018%203.jpg

uke%2010%2018%204.jpg

Last edited:
Nice looking uke. Is the action set up like "primitive" instruments? How high at the 12th fret, for instance?

Interesting difference between this and most of the "primitive" instruments I've had the pleasure to see is that there is a bit of the neck between the 12th fret and the top. It seems that the old instruments configured this way often have the 12th fret right at the join of neck to body. Is there a musical advantage to this configuration, or is it a visual design choice?

Like I said...nice looking uke.

Excuse (and please help cure) my ignorance, but what makes this fine piece of work "primitive?"

I'm not looking to buy, but just trying to learn. When I think primitive, I do not envision something so well-made.

Hi,
I added a pic of the head. I don't have one of the back, but it is identical wood to the top. I'll see if I can get a back pic.

I leave a little fretboard because, unlike the real primitive ukes, my upper bout is rounded and I don't want the fret slot to crumble away in the curve. It is about 1/8" at the 12th, with room to lower at the saddle.

I call it "primitive" because I made it with an axe! No, it is just the "flush fretboard" is like the old ukes where the top of the neck is the fretboard. In this case though, I glue on a harder wood fretboard.

uke%2010%2018%205.jpg

uke%2010%2018%206.jpg

uke%2010%2018%207.jpg

Last edited:
Dave is currently building me a tenor. Feel very fortunate and can't wait to get one of his ukes.

About this uke... If I'm not mistaken, that is a 1 price top, which I think adds a little uniqueness.

Admittedly, I'm not much of a soprano aficionado. Still seems I see more bookmatch tops these days. I do find the one piece top desirable even if it is not especially unusual. Sorry to go off-topic. Good luck with the sale Dave.

Last edited:
Hi Joshua,
Yes, this is a 1 piece top, and back. I frankly don't know if "most" Sopranos are 1 piece, I've seen lots with 2 piece. I suspect much "high zoot" wood is usually book matched.

Top Bottom