Customs Question

pdxuke

Reaction score
Hi Friends;

Some of you know I have a Martin baritone coming from Folkways Music to me in Portland, Oregon.

I wonder if you might know something about when it passes through customs?

Like all of us do, I've been watching the Fedex tracking online. The uke arrived in Buffalo, NY, and then headed for Ohio, where it now has just departed. Since it's in the US, can I assume it has cleared customs, or does it go through customs at its final destination--Portland?

Thanks!

Sounds like it has already passed through customs. Hopefully, someone with more experience can chime in.

I'm interested in responses to this thread from the opposite side of the border. If buying a uke from outside of North America, what sort of duties/taxes are payable when it comes into the US? I live on the border so could ship to either US or Canada.

(sorry for the slight thread diversion)

Jim B

Since it was made in the USA, there would never be a problem bringing it back into the US. You bet; it's cleared Customs and is on it's way. I live right on the border and deal with them alot. It stays at the border and goes no further if there is anytype of a problem with the paperwork or product.

Kayak, it depends on where it's coming from, where it was made and the type of woods used. The dealer should know what's involved ir it's pretty easy to find out from Customs.

When I order things into Canada I can usually track it along it's journey until it arrives at the airport. Then it disappears into the black hole that is Canadian customs where it spends a few days to a week. Once the package is released it appears at my door within a day or two.

I misread the title of this thread and thought it said "Custom Questions." I thought.....what?...now he's getting a CUSTOM baritone????

I CANNOT wait to hear a sound clip from your Martin. In fact, a comparison test of all your baris, the Martin, Kala, Silvertone, Favilla, Lanikai, Silvertone (did I get them all?) back to back, comparing the sound quality, playability etc would be HUGE!!!

FYI - planning on submitting an offer for one of the discounted Lanikai 21 LU B's tonight when I get home.

...I wonder if you might know something about when it passes through customs?
... The uke arrived in Buffalo, NY, and then headed for Ohio, where it now has just departed. Since it's in the US, can I assume it has cleared customs, or does it go through customs at its final destination--Portland? ...

It has cleared customs. For certain products - CITES regulated wood being one - customs can only be performed at certain Ports of Entry. That's where they have the agents trained to do those inspections. Here's the list:

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/plants/plant_imports/downloads/list.pdf

You'll see Buffalo as one of those places that can receive CITES restricted wood (Mahogany is in CITES Appendix II). Those items need permits if they have been recently built (1998?). Of course, yours, Thom, wouldn't have had any permit documentation. It's likely if the agents looked at it, they realized it was manufactured before the permit requirements went into place.

You're all clear now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom