"My Melancholy Baby" in the car - Alternate side of the street parking day.

Jnobianchi

Reaction score
Just what it says: "Melancholy Baby", played in the car, waiting for the street cleaner to arrive. I had a better cut going, but he showed up in mid verse, so I used the first take. :D

This song from 1912 was introduced by a young vaudevillian called William Frawley, which always amazes me. He also introduced "Carolina in the Morning". Yep, Fred Mertz was a really big deal on the circuits~!

Thank you, Craig! Glad you liked it, and it's great to hear from you!

John - thank you! Yes, it's a lovely tune.

Thanks, Campbell. You know how much I love creaky old songs - water seeks its own level. ;)

Nice singing and I can handle this strumming vs. that crazy Fromby style!! J/K You are one talented guy

Nongdam - Thanks; glad you liked the tune.

Johnny - Thanks a lot. You're gonna love what Ian's got on that DVD.

And you both know that there are three Formby strums in that video - they're just slowed waaaay down. :D

I love alternate side of the street parking day! Great job! No idea Fred was in vaudeville.

Thank you, AK! Yes, so all those times on the show when he talked about him and Ethel being in vaudeville were based on his own experience - and on the show, he actually sang "Carolina in the Morning" - a song he introduced to the public back in the early 20's and popularized to the point where Jolson adopted it. I might add that his information is on the web, but the lives of so many hundreds of others like him hasn't made it onto the web. It's almost as though they have disappeared. There's a ton of information out there in books that just isn't online, and not just on music and vaudeville.

What a great style you have- perfect for these songs. I love this song but had never heard the intro verse. Congrats on getting this vid onto UkeToob!

Thank you, Myrna! Glad that you think so! And thanks!; Al at Ukulele Hunt/UkeToob has been very kind to me. :)

Top Bottom