Looking for the most proficient beginners DVD (with book) or online ukulele course.

drose

Reaction score
Looking for the best beginning ukulele self teaching course. Either online or DVD with book. Looking to start right out with theory and classic teaching that is easy to understand, but takes time to master. Want something that I will go from the ground up with, that I can spend hours a day learning, and that will make me a competent player for anything I would want to do in the future. I don't just want to learn some chords, or how to play a song, but really to know the instrument and the music within the instrument. To become a serious player. I already know how to play some songs, but I fake most of my playing. It sounds good, but not looking for it just to sound good, but to know what I'm doing. I don't want to pull from a bunch of different sites trying to develop my own method. I want to come from a place of knowing it proficiently and then expanding.

Looked at the UU course, but it sure if its what I'm looking for. Anyone have the experience on UU that met what I'm looking for?

Thanks everyone, would really appreciate any info, especially to players who have gone through beginners, intermediate, and are now expert players. Thanks!:)

Last edited:
Jim D'Ville has some very good instructional DVD's http://www.playukulelebyear.com/products/
I have Disc 1 and 2. They are good for getting into the theory basics. He has a new 1.5 disc out that looks interesting. They get you thinking about the chord progressions instead of just memorizing what comes next.

Hope this helps

While I'm a big fan of the UU stuff, sometimes you need something that's not online. I'm currently really enjoying what Pekelo's Hawaiian Ukulele Method has to offer.

No, it's not a DVD--it's comprised (currently) of two volumes, each with an accompanying CD. I don't mind much that it doesn't have the "visual" of a DVD because there is just so darn much here to learn and it's presented so well. When I'm learning from it, I keep the book beside me as well as my iPhone; the CDs have at least one "version" of each exercise/song, including lead-ins with a metronome. Put those exercises in iTunes on your phone and you can repeat an exercise until you're happy with your progress.

Pekelo focuses on playing fingerpicking style and he teaches it thoroughly and in a very "method"-oriented manner with each skill building on the previous. While it may seem to start slow for an intermediate-beginner, it quickly picks up speed and your fingers (especially those right hand ones) will soon be earning their keep.

For theory, Pekelo delves deeply into reading time signatures and note values as well as slurs, ties, dotted notes, repeats, musical terminology, etc. While there are no traditional music "reading" lessons, per se, there is full musical notation plus tab for each exercise and song and the student learns what notes are on each string and what a sharp or flat means. Topics between the two volumes include hammer ons, pull offs, right- and left-hand fingering conventions (and practical tips), barred chords, arpeggios, triplets, ornamentation and some chord melody.

Price is very reasonable and Pekelo is responsive via email. I'm personally looking forward to Volume 3 as well.

(Added: I'm currently working through the book with a Low G tuning, which is preferred, I believe for these volumes--although Pekelo says it can be done with High G.)

Last edited:
Okay thanks, I'll check it out!

For one fifth the price of monthly live lessons, the UU lessons are superb. Well organized and perfectly explained. There have been several threads extolling the virtues and popular vote for the uU online lessons with Aldrine.

Jim D'Ville has some very good instructional DVD's http://www.playukulelebyear.com/products/
I have Disc 1 and 2. They are good for getting into the theory basics. He has a new 1.5 disc out that looks interesting. They get you thinking about the chord progressions instead of just memorizing what comes next.

Thank you for your kind endorsement of my method. I appreciate it.

Top Bottom