How important is a cutaway?

songchaser

Reaction score
I want to buy a uke and have never played. How important is it to have a cutaway on a uke? Do you really use it enough to make the extra expense worthwhile?
I thinking that if I really want to get all I can out of a good uke, maybe I shoud get a cutaway right off.
Bill

In my opinion, as a beginner, you're not going to need a cutaway. I've only been playing for about a year now, and I have yet to run into a song where I needed a cutaway. Ironically, the next uke I'm going to buy has a cutaway, but I don't think I have an option for it.

Personally, I think it's more to do with aesthetics than actual necessity in most cases.

I mean, there's a case to be made to a certain extent for a cutaway in say, electric guitars where there's a long tradition of histrionic screeching wankery past the 12th fret and amplification can sustain notes for much longer than necessary.

In a ukulele, you're just not probably going to get nearly as much use out of that end of the neck. But if you like the styling, then by all means go for it.

A cutaway is not a necessity IMO and as previously mentioned, purely aesthetic. Not by any means trying to dissuade you from anything. Some like it and some don't, hmm! a cutaway fluke?

Oops, gotta make a confession, I have a cutaway - it's an 8 string that my brother selected for me 5-6 years ago.

Last edited:
I'd like to note that the only time I've ever wanted a cutaway was when I was trying to figure out a bunch of final fantasy/video game music. Darn pianos, lol.

The only ukuleles that need a cutaway are electric, like the CE-1. Because you can just crank the amp up to make up for the lack of sustain. On anything smaller then a baritone anything above say the 15th fret is just for show or to bring the board down for construction

I cannot think of a single song that requires anything above the 15th and need sustain though that is not better suited for a electric.

A cutaway allows for better movement freedom around the 12-14 fret.

u said it! although if u have big hands and long fingers like muah then u don't need a cutaway! they do look uniques though but i like the traditional style of the uke personally!

Interesting thread. My take? Get a cutaway IF you're going to use it. Otherwise, most builders will add in a cutaway, without regard to box size and resonance.

Are cutaways useful on an `ukulele? For me, no. My sons tend to travel up the 15th fret, and have discovered chimes at the 19th fret. Do they need a cutaway? Maybe in a few years (or less).

On the other hand, I can say Ledward Kaapana needs a cutaway. His current `ukulele has 22 frets, and I've seen him use it.

-Aaron

On an acoustic I see it as a more aesthetic thing? I've never really played anything where my cutaway was vital. Sometimes it's convenient when I'm playing on the high frets but it's more of a luxury more than anything. The biggest advantage for me is that you can get a good grip when you're just holding your uke and not playing haha

If you think they look good and if you think it'll come in handy go for it if you want, but don't feel they're necessary.

i see where tis is going but on advice for the cutaway, i do feel it might hinder the resonating of the uke, but in my own personal experience, i have a Concert size that goes up to the 14th fret before the neck and the body meet, and a lot of times i find my pinky ring finger and/or middle finger getting cramped against the body.

i've been playing for a little bit now and i love traveling the neck either in a song to improv a little bit, or in like say a Jake song where you have to go up there pretty fast.

i would say if you like the aesthetics OR your fingers get cramped go for it. i personally will just be getting a tenor pretty soon to help with my sausage fingers

but thats just my $0.02

Top Bottom