Maple Fretboards

beatlloydy

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with Ukuleles with maple fretboards...I am a recent convert to uke (tho had a mohalo at home for 10 years)...I am a big fan of maple fretboards with respect to guitars for the "brighter" sound....was wondering if anyone makes them and if anyone has experience with them on ukes and a clip of their sound. Just curious.

Last edited:
Bruko uses maple necks often and fretboards sometimes.

I love the feel of them, although I can't say I've noticed a difference in tone.

My Custom Brüko has a Maple Neck (Rosewood feather) without extra fretboard, he directly fretted the neck. It looks and feels great.

22905764.jpg

However I don't think the fretboard wood has a noticeable influence on the sound.

I have maple fretboard and bridge Mya Moe and Brukos.

They don't affect sound, but they are sweet. Both brands are extremely good (the Brukos build quality is off the hook extremely good!)

So I agree with the others.

I have two ukes I made with maple fret boards. They work for me.

Peter Hurney once told me that they may be prone to discolouration over time, especially if you are a hard player. Otherwise no prob.

Peter Hurney once told me that they may be prone to discolouration over time, especially if you are a hard player.
Jon's right. And even over the short time--even carefully licking each fingertip clean each time you play-- they get "dirty". Just like a well used guitar fretboard. (the ebony and rosewood ones get those annoying "shiny spots", though).1197291877O5A9aB.jpg

1236693900vb3jl1.jpg

Last edited:
My Custom Brüko has a Maple Neck (Rosewood feather) without extra fretboard, he directly fretted the neck. It looks and feels great.

However I don't think the fretboard wood has a noticeable influence on the sound.

Wow, that is one fine looking neck. I got a '75 Strat one piece maple neck...and it has not discolored one iota.

For a neck, ya, even though weight can be a factor. (mahogany is stable and light) The thing with maple fretboards, they're almost always finished with laquer (not oil). This is to preserve coloring and prevent warpage. Maple takes and releases moistures and oils more than rosewood or ebony. Originally for fender it was a cheaper option, even after finishing it cost less than rosewood and ebony. But strat/tele players started to like the look and many prefer the feel of a finished board. With electric strings and larger frets, it can go many years without eating through finish. Much of this also depends on the acidity in you hand oils.
I have a custom shop G&L with a maple board. I dont care about discoloration, I payed extra for a relic. Had to have it 'cause the hand wound pickups are mind blowing and it felt perfect, but I like a maple board. Also have it on my Warrior bass. Oil finish even. But it also has two separate truss rods running through it. That gives a lot to work with.
You dont see maple on acoustics because it needs a finish and the acoustic strings would tear it up. Warmoth claims less than 1 percent warpage on laquer finished maple vs. almost 10 percent on oiled, which is why they dont insure it if not finished with laquer. Sometimes people thin down thin super glue and pore fill it and other tricks to lock it off from the elements. mostly your venomous hand. Usually, it's not the best choice for fretboards. Necks...maple's been used for hundreds of years. Stradivarius etc..
For an ukulele fretboard...rosewood has clear advantages..mostly I personally prefer it for a fretboard (and bridge too)... I'm also a fan of the classy look and long term durability of ebony...but maple.......

Andrew, as usual, your answer is amazing. Experienced and well described.

And on a separate note, I have a lovely maple fretboard Mya Moe tenor for sale. Just PM me.

I wouldn't want all my ukes to have maple fretboards, but I would like maple on one.

Last edited:
So, I am a bit confused. What is the verdict here?

1. Maple isn't durable enough for fretboards?
2. If you do have a maple fretboard don't use wound strings?

Is that right? I am confused because AndrewKuker seemed to say both "I like a maple board" and "it's not the best choice for fretboards". I am not trying to be a jerk here. I am just curious if that is an option I should rule out for any any future purchases.

consult with your builder. go with those that have experience and back their work. understand that an oil finish (that bare wood look) on a maple board will get dirty, most likely.
go for it if it's what seems right. I would consider it on a uke if it looked, felt, and sounded right. don't imagine it being a popular choice ever, but see what builders think if you are getting a custom.

Of the many, many guitars I've owned, I've only had three (and strangely, also the best bass I've ever owned..) with maple fingerboards -- and two of them were scalloped, & thus they wore quite nicely, as fingers are barely touching the wood, if at all. While I like the look of a light wood neck on some instruments, maple never did much for me tone-wise, with the exception of the non-scalloped Telecaster I traded away long ago -- that was one sweet sounding Fender! Ebony is my fingerboard of choice, though I have some rare Jacaranda (Brazilian rosewood) that plays like butter and sounds nearly as good as my best vintage Gibson Ebony..

I'm not really certain how all this translates into Ukes, although it is inordinately rare to see maple used on ANY acoustic guitar -- the high-tension wound strings would literally tear the wood apart..

I don't think there would be much of this negativity &/or concern in the case of a Ukulele, I just don't see a whole lot of viable utility with the exception of aesthetics. For lots more fingerboard/wood related info, check out Warmoth's Guitar Neckwood page - http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/NeckWoodsPop.aspx

Please report back with the outcome, should you decide to procure a maple fingerboard Uke -- I'm interested in your findings!

I got a maple fretboard with the hardest durable finish and I am the 4th owner in several years....it still looks new with lots of playing time..main thing if you dont use wound strings..
newaquirements1113019_zps84c5f5ff.jpg

Thought I'd add a great looking uke with a maple fretboard.

I think this lighter natural mahogany looks just right with maple fretboard and bridge.
Wouldn't want all my ukes to have maple fretboards, but I do enjoy this one.
Post your maple fretboardif you got one you like.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Top Bottom