Sad ukulele day

D

dhoenisch

I've given away more ukuleles than I can keep track of over the past three years, and currently have four people I am currently teaching. Out of all of the ukes I've given away and all those I've either taught or given a crash course to, I've never had anyone give me back one of those ukes... until today. A red Mahalo that was set up nicely and sounding pretty good is currently sitting on my desk right next to me as I type this. The person I gave it to said she just couldn't grasp changing chords and felt the uke was better left being given to someone else. I commend her for not letting it sit and collect dust, but at the same time, I wish she would have stuck with it a bit longer.

Oh well :(

Dan

Sorry to hear that it didn't stick. Some people just have a hard time with certain things where they are no longer enjoyable (like me and golf!). At least she was honest with herself and you. The red Mahalo will yet find someone, I am sure.

Thanks for spreading the uke love. It comes back to you tenfold.

Aloha Dan,
You've got a big heart man...Glad she realized that somebody else would make use of it better for whatever reasons she might have had to quit...we simply don't know.
some have more uke passion than others and that's the ones we need to focus on...thank you for sharing...Happy strummings..

You're a man to admire, and don't give up!

My wife wanted to learn to play so we got an inexpensive, but half way decent soprano. We were doing good till she discovered she'd have to trim the nails on her left hand!

Same here, my wife refuses to cut her nails...now we only have one hobby in common but I can't talk about it here! ;-)

My wife wanted to learn to play so we got an inexpensive, but half way decent soprano. We were doing good till she discovered she'd have to trim the nails on her left hand!

Taking up the uke got me stop biting my nails! Oh, the irony....

The very fact that you're giving these away and teaching people to play speaks volumes to your love of the instrument and your passion for sharing it. Don't get discouraged by it...and yes by all means, place it in the hands of someone who will appreciate it.

You can't win them all, but at least you try!

:D

"A red Mahalo that was set up nicely and sounding pretty good is currently sitting on my desk right next to me as I type this."

That sounds like the start of a pretty good uke day to me. In a glass-half-full sort of way.

I guess that person could still be a bass player...

How about introducing her to simply play melody lines and finger picking? It's the best way to start and once you can pick out simple melodies, she may realize that she can make music and play songs. Chords can come later.

Playing an instrument isn't for everybody, even those who really try hard.
I've watched dozens of students who really wanted to learn how to SCUBA dive fail because they had to learn things they were uncomfortable doing. Many go through the training, do the check out dives, do a few more and then hang it up. Different strokes for different folks.
I'll add that playing a uke takes WAY more dedication and skill than SCUBA diving, FWIW...

Top Bottom