small vocal amp

ralphk

Reaction score
I have a vocal chord problem (right chord is paralyzed) and cannot talk or sing for very long before the left cord is really tired.

Is there a small amp that will accept a lapel or headphone mike so that I can talk very softly, increasing my ability to jam with our uke club for a longer time.

I need on a vocal input.

Battery powered amps that are small, could be put on a table, or mounted to the belt. The Honeytone or something similar?

Thanks

Newport Local pointed right to my answer, The Vox Mini3 amplifier:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-MINI3-3W-Battery-Powered-Guitar-Combo-Amp-107774523-i2459183.gc

...and the Emerson M193 headset microphone:

http://www.frys.com/product/6460952?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

In the photo you'll see a guitar strap attached to it, for mobile performing. Also note that both the ukulele and microphone are plugged into it. This combo should help you save your voice. Ric

Mini3Busking.jpg

Nice setup. Importantly you are going to need a preamp/power supply for the microphone. Amplifiers on there own won't support a headset/lapel microphone.

Anthony

Anthonyg, the Emerson M193 headset microphone has a dynamic element that does not require a preamp/power supply. It works well on it's own through an amp or P.A.. Ric

Well I've learn't something new. I had never heard of a dynamic headset microphone. Still, even a dynamic microphone should be plugged into an input that is designed for a dynamic microphone rather than an instrument signal and most headset microphones will need a preamp/power supply.

Anthony

Well I've learn't something new. I had never heard of a dynamic headset microphone. Still, even a dynamic microphone should be plugged into an input that is designed for a dynamic microphone rather than an instrument signal and most headset microphones will need a preamp/power supply.

Anthony

Most regular amps have a gain function which will boost the signal high enough.
The Microcube in particular is a good choice, as it actually has a setting dedicated for microphones at the turn of a knob.

I've used it before, both plugged in and battery powered - works great for its portable size.

Well good, but your talking about an amplifier that's designed to take a dynamic microphone. That's all I'm really saying. Don't assume that you can plug a dynamic microphone into any old amplifier designed for instruments and get a decent result.

Anthony

Count me in as a fan of the VOX, although the construction leaves something to be desired.

anthonyg, the Vox Mini3 has a seperate microphone input that's biased for a dynamic microphone. With the Roland Microcube you have to choose between a microphone or an instrument. The Microcube will not run a microphone and an instrument at the same time:

DV020_Jpg_Jumbo_H14148_top.jpg

DV016_Jpg_Large_481169.001_black_control_panel.jpg

Last edited:
ricdoug said:
The Microcube will not run a microphone and an instrument at the same time

Well, I guess you "sort of" can if your ukulele pickup is good enough for plugging directly into the Input jack that is on the back panel of the Microcube (designed for CD players, etc). I've done this before, and it works if you have a good acoustic-electric with an active pre-amp to control volume and tone with.

Not as fancy as the Vox.
But then again, Roland has an amp designed for plugging both instrument and mic I guess - the Street Cube.

My son has a VOX DA5 and it works great for his uke but not so impressive with mic. My Roland Street Cube is much, much better for hooking up mic and instrument at the same time. Costs more but you get what you pay for. Both are battery powered. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom