PDA

View Full Version : Season 55 Location, Location, Location

Pages : [1] 2

pabrizzer
03-01-2013, 11:05 PM
Season 55 – Location, Location, Location.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwZ62pESpHk

OK for Season 55 your song must have a place name in the title and be mostly about that place or something that happened (or could happen) there.
The “map” of the universe is also fair game so you can go extra-terrestrial if you feel so inclined.
Original songs are fine and encouraged.
Ukulele is what this place is all about so that should be the main instrument and I do want to see the face/s of the performer/s somewhere during the video.
Mention the Season somewhere somehow.
Bonus videos? OK, but just ONE please.
That’s all. So if I haven’t mentioned it consider it OK.
If it's on a map I'm happy.
So I guess that could include oceans, lakes, parks, streets, freeways, even specific buildings or bridges as well.
Google shows ALL.
All would be OK.

I am aiming for a large number of participants this Season.
As far as I have discovered the record number of entries is 48 or there abouts.
I would LOVE to get 50 entries.
So please if you are reading this and haven’t ever participated - JOIN IN THE FUN and become a SEASONISTA. Encourage everyone you know to join in.

Official Entries Playlist (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWWTvJrk8iLzEZoEgQ1aWS-HjLntG_01c)

Bonus Playlist (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWWTvJrk8iLwXObM4AiJs2-HnZWZKvDLn)

PRIZES – Yes I have prizes for the three entries mentioned the most by participant’s votes. I have tree Australian themed T-Shirts. Most mentioned gets first pick – 2nd most mentioned gets second pick – 3rd most mentioned gets what’s left. Shirts are XL size only I’m afraid – I figured too big was better than too tight.

Judging will be done by those who enter
VOTING – by posting a reply to the Season 55 thread when the season ends.
You get to name your 4 (four) favourite performances from the season.
No I’m not taking PMs this time.
If you want to vote you have to let us all know which ones you liked best.
And if you don’t vote you can’t win.
You don’t have to give any explanation (but of course can do so) simply list the 4 that appealed most to you.

Cornfield
03-02-2013, 02:07 AM
Multitracking? etc......

ChaosToo
03-02-2013, 03:30 AM
Now then - just so happens I've been practising a song that would fit this ...... If it hasn't already been done by my next set of days off, I'll give it a go. Might have to break the rules on posting my face though, so it'll be a bonus entry:D

austin1
03-02-2013, 05:27 AM
Multitracking? etc......

in the video, he says multi-tracking is a go :)

barefootgypsy
03-02-2013, 05:43 AM
Now then - just so happens I've been practising a song that would fit this ...... If it hasn't already been done by my next set of days off, I'll give it a go. Might have to break the rules on posting my face though, so it'll be a bonus entry:DOh Keith, please, show your face! I was terrified the first time - once you've done it once, it's ok... don't hide! All friends here! :)

Tootler
03-02-2013, 10:12 AM
I have a couple in mind. In one, the "place" is a river. Would a river be OK? (As long as it's a specific river, of course)

Doesn't matter if it's not. I have thought of some more songs, so will have an entry and some bonuses.

austin1
03-02-2013, 10:25 AM
how about the salley gardens, specifically, down by them?

wallyboy
03-02-2013, 10:27 AM
one which has been on my list to do,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwuJrC_-8M8

pabrizzer
03-02-2013, 11:26 AM
one which has been on my list to do,

Thanks for kicking the season off wallyboy.
Hats always improve a performance I say.
Lots of chords that you have mastered well.
Cheers, Pa

pabrizzer
03-02-2013, 11:32 AM
I have a couple in mind. In one, the "place" is a river. Would a river be OK? (As long as it's a specific river, of course)

Doesn't matter if it's not. I have thought of some more songs, so will have an entry and some bonuses.

how about the salley gardens, specifically, down by them?

So I guess that could include oceans, lakes, parks, streets, freeways, even specific buildings or bridges as well.
Google shows ALL.
All would be OK.

ChaosToo
03-02-2013, 11:33 AM
Wallyboy - you got there first! Top job mate!

Frax
03-02-2013, 11:37 AM
well done wallyboy ! sounds great !

pabrizzer
03-02-2013, 11:44 AM
Now then - just so happens I've been practising a song that would fit this ...... If it hasn't already been done by my next set of days off, I'll give it a go. Might have to break the rules on posting my face though, so it'll be a bonus entry:D
I am quite used to not getting what I want so it would still be acceptable.
But we would rather see you.
How about a silhouette shot with bright light behind.

ChaosToo
03-02-2013, 11:48 AM
I am quite used to not getting what I want so it would still be acceptable.
But we would rather see you.
How about a silhouette shot with bright light behind.

I'll see if I can come up with a compromise :D

But I'm practising, as it's a song I remember from my very early days - and if my memory isn't playing tricks on me, I'm pretty sure I had the honour of hearing the original artist playing it!

No pressure then!

Roll on Wednesday.....

Wongo
03-02-2013, 11:50 AM
Oh poo. I've been practising the same song as wallboy since I saw the theme of this week. :(
Great job of it wallboy.

pabrizzer
03-02-2013, 12:05 PM
Oh poo. I've been practising the same song as wallboy since I saw the theme of this week. :(
Great job of it wallboy.

Please still do it.
We quite often get the same song done more than once.

strumsilly
03-02-2013, 12:22 PM
isn't season 54 still going on?

pabrizzer
03-02-2013, 12:36 PM
isn't season 54 still going on?

Yeah. It sure is and there is a good chance that The Cloverdale Kid will get 50 official entries for his great theme of Birds. I know you have a beaut video in there strumsilly.
But for those who haven't participated please do - you still have time as it ends 12:00 Midnight Sunday Hawaii time.

But if you haven't voted for season 53 it is still being done
And well season 50 hasn't been resolved yet either.
But people who frequent forums can cope with that, right?
As far as I have seen there has more or less always been an overlap of a day (or more depending where on the planet you are) with the seasons.

wallyboy
03-02-2013, 12:57 PM
Thanks for kicking the season off wallyboy.
Hats always improve a performance I say.
Lots of chords that you have mastered well.
Cheers, Pa

cheers brizz,
funny thing is i pulled this off the webb last night as a song to learn and you came up with a theme that fitted song....crazy,

wallyboy
03-02-2013, 01:06 PM
Wallyboy - you got there first! Top job mate!
thanks, love the song old enough to remember it when it first came out,

well done wallyboy ! sounds great !
much appreciated thanks

Great job of it wallboy.
thanks, will be a great theme,

strumsilly
03-02-2013, 02:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN1lyabA5yw

pabrizzer
03-02-2013, 02:36 PM
My Abilene

Love the song and the hat. Thanks.
And that sounds like some sort of place if the 'women there don't treat you mean'.

jamz
03-02-2013, 03:24 PM
Sorry about the poor video quality, my webcam is just not up to handling low light at all.

It's a Sea Shanty!

I think this will be the bonus entry, I will do a better job on the real entry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Leq5lBwI4Yg&feature=youtu.be

CountryMouse
03-02-2013, 03:58 PM
Google shows ALL.
All would be OK.

I've got one I want to do. The place name is in the title, but in the song itself London AND this place are being compared with each other. Is that okay? (two for the price of one?)

CountryMouse

Joko
03-02-2013, 04:01 PM
Well, I immediately thought was doing 1985's "One Night in Bangkok (http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/m/murray_head/one_night_in_bangkok_crd.htm)" by Murray Head; I even started practicing it. Unfortunately, the song is BANNED in Thailand, and since I'm just about to move there, I don't want anything on my YouTube page that might get me in trouble with the locals... Just prudent.

pabrizzer
03-02-2013, 04:10 PM
I've got one I want to do. The place name is in the title, but in the song itself London AND this place are being compared with each other. Is that okay? (two for the price of one?)

CountryMouse

Yes all good. Look forward to it.

pabrizzer
03-02-2013, 04:13 PM
Sorry about the poor video quality, my webcam is just not up to handling low light at all.

It's a Sea Shanty!

I think this will be the bonus entry, I will do a better job on the real entry.

Liked it a lot specially the mention of Australia.
I have put in the bonus playlist. Let me know if you want to make a change.

CountryMouse
03-02-2013, 04:20 PM
Yes all good. Look forward to it.

Oh good! Thanks! Now it turns out that instead I might be doing a song with the Cat'r...instead, I don't know. We'll see. :)

CountryMouse

TCK
03-02-2013, 08:55 PM
OK- so I have a tune with a PLACE in the title, but it ain't a place you could drive to. It ain't a city, it ain't on google maps (unless I put it there), but it is still a place...Fair game?

pabrizzer
03-02-2013, 09:37 PM
OK- so I have a tune with a PLACE in the title, but it ain't a place you could drive to. It ain't a city, it ain't on google maps (unless I put it there), but it is still a place...Fair game?

Heaven or hell?

Heck if it's a PLACE I'm happy. So yes.

BTW it looks as if you may beat me to the 50 entries. Only need 4 more.
What a great season the BIRDS turned out to be and I think your prizes are FANTASTIC.
GOOD ONE TCK!

Cornfield
03-03-2013, 03:37 AM
I'm going to have to learn how to multitrack on a video. I have some decent recording equipment and a decent camera but I'm not sure how to coordinate them.
Thiis is my bonus. It's an original song that I posted about a place I visited, Fengdu. The photo slide show consists of photos I took there.

Uke is a 1970's Kamaka HF-38 with Southcoast Strings

http://youtu.be/46ZyaJZCsTM

Garydavkra
03-03-2013, 05:06 AM
Extra-terrestrial! Oh boy!!! Time to start writing!

~dave~~wave~
03-03-2013, 06:52 AM
Gulf Coast Highway, US 90, runs from Texas to Florida.
Bluebonnets, blackbirds, springtime...

This works better as a duet.
First heard it with Emmylou Harris and Willie Nelson, written by Nanci Griffith.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34ONUZQdizQ

For those playing along at home, good old C F G Am.

Gulf coast highway, he worked the rails
He worked the rice fields with their cool, dark wells
He worked the oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico
The only thing we've ever owned is this old house here by the road
And when he dies he says he'll catch some blackbird's wing
And he will fly away to heaven, come some sweet Blue Bonnet spring.

She walked through springtime when I was home
Our days were sweet, our nights were warm
The seasons changed, the jobs would come, the flowers fade
And this house felt so alone, when the work took me away
And when she dies he says she'll catch some blackbird's wing
And she will fly away to heaven, come some sweet Blue Bonnet spring.

Highway 90, the jobs are gone
We tend our garden and we set the sun
This is the only place on earth Blue Bonnets grow
And once a year they come and go at this old house here by the road
And when we die we say we'll catch some blackbird's wing
And we will fly away to heaven, come some sweet Blue Bonnet spring.

And when we die we say we'll catch some blackbird's wing
And we will fly away together, come some sweet Blue Bonnet spring.

myrnaukelele
03-03-2013, 08:32 AM
Pabrizzer - this theme is inspirational! There are so many great songs to choose from I almost don't know where to start. And the songs posted so far are all very well done. I may have to put together a slide show to go along with my song...

pabrizzer
03-03-2013, 08:33 AM
Both songs have mention of the 'afterlife'.

I'm going to have to learn how to multitrack on a video. I have some decent recording equipment and a decent camera but I'm not sure how to coordinate them.
Thiis is my bonus. It's an original song that I posted about a place I visited, Fengdu. The photo slide show consists of photos I took there.

Uke is a 1970's Kamaka HF-38 with Southcoast Strings

Wow. I reckon you did the multitracking thing pretty well with the little lead part played on the uke. I liked this a lot. Didn't realise the Chinese had hell all those years ago. I guess they have always tried to scare us into being good, I googled Fengdu - certainly an interesting place.

Gulf Coast Highway, US 90, runs from Texas to Florida.
Bluebonnets, blackbirds, springtime...

This works better as a duet.
First heard it with Emmylou Harris and Willie Nelson, written by Nanci Griffith.

Real good DW. Loved the video too. I'd like to do some driving on these US roads sometime.

Joko
03-03-2013, 01:16 PM
Fort Worth is the sixteenth most populous city in the United States of America and the fifth most populous city in the state of Texas. Located in North Central Texas, the city is a cultural gateway into the American West and covers nearly 350 square miles (910 km2) in Tarrant, Denton, Johnson, Parker, and Wise counties, serving as the seat for Tarrant County.

http://youtu.be/STLYGm79rrA

GaryC1968
03-03-2013, 01:38 PM
Here is my entry for Season 55. It's a song I wrote a few years ago and this season gave me a great excuse to do another recording with my current favorite uke, my Lanakai 8-string tenor. I also got to play around with some new features in version 6 of Mixcraft. Thanks for watching!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSKCVEolyJU

Jazzbanjorex
03-03-2013, 04:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yyJTnpnrbk&feature=youtu.be

Cornfield
03-03-2013, 04:25 PM
Both songs have mention of the 'afterlife'.

Wow. I reckon you did the multitracking thing pretty well with the little lead part played on the uke. I liked this a lot. Didn't realise the Chinese had hell all those years ago. I guess they have always tried to scare us into being good, I googled Fengdu - certainly an interesting place.

I can multitrack with my recording equipment. I just can't figure out how to do it on camera. Not sure how to sync the two together.

pabrizzer
03-03-2013, 07:17 PM
Fort Worth is the sixteenth most populous city in the United States of America and the fifth most populous city in the state of Texas. Located in North Central Texas, the city is a cultural gateway into the American West and covers nearly 350 square miles (910 km2) in Tarrant, Denton, Johnson, Parker, and Wise counties, serving as the seat for Tarrant County.

Good one Joko!

Here is my entry for Season 55. It's a song I wrote a few years ago and this season gave me a great excuse to do another recording with my current favorite uke, my Lanakai 8-string tenor. I also got to play around with some new features in version 6 of Mixcraft. Thanks for watching!

Enjoyed this! Good plot for a soap opera I reckon.

Hasegawa General Store
Real good as always Rex. Vocals real solid in this one!

UkeyDave
03-04-2013, 07:41 AM
Not done my entry yet but been playing around with iMovie and I thought I'd compile a little trailer to entice those who haven't yet posted to the Seasons. If this has managed to inspire JUST ONE new postee then this post has been worth it. :iwant: So this is for all you out there who haven't posted to the seasons yet. ENJOY. You've gotta smile, its compulsory. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARBzktrS-eE

wee_ginga_yin
03-04-2013, 07:51 AM
Song based on a true story of Clare Campbell who died alone and neglected.
Her body rotted in her bedroom before anyone was concerned enough to find
out what had happened to her.

As Robert Burns said
"But see him on the edge of life
with cares and sorrows torn,
then age and want that ill matched pair,
prove man was made to mourn."

http://youtu.be/ESmILMb_2mE

filipinouker
03-04-2013, 08:18 AM
Manila, Manila !
(i've added a rough English translation for the few Tagalog lines) :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKQxC0RAntw

pabrizzer
03-04-2013, 09:25 AM
Not done my entry yet but been playing around with iMovie and I thought I'd compile a little trailer to entice those who haven't yet posted to the Seasons. If this has managed to inspire JUST ONE new postee then this post has been worth it. :iwant: So this is for all you out there who haven't posted to the seasons yet. ENJOY. You've gotta smile, its compulsory. :D

Wow. That was just great. I hope you have posted it in the videos and links section too.

pabrizzer
03-04-2013, 09:32 AM
Despair and joy - quite a contrast.

Song based on a true story of Clare Campbell who died alone and neglected.
Her body rotted in her bedroom before anyone was concerned enough to find
out what had happened to her.
As Robert Burns said
"But see him on the edge of life
with cares and sorrows torn,
then age and want that ill matched pair,
prove man was made to mourn."

No name in the title but have included it because it is the story of something that shouldn't happen anywhere. Enjoyed this a lot W_G_Y.

Manila, Manila !
(i've added a rough English translation for the few Tagalog lines) :D

Great playing - wonderful vocals. Delightful!

Cornfield
03-04-2013, 09:33 AM
http://youtu.be/-2V1laEuJpg

El Camino by Amos Lee.

pabrizzer
03-04-2013, 09:42 AM
El Camino by Amos Lee.

Real good - a slow bluesy country feel - like it.
Haven't heard "murder of crows" in a song before.
And a 'well worn' hat worn well.

UkeyDave
03-04-2013, 09:52 AM
Wow. That was just great. I hope you have posted it in the videos and links section too.

No, didn't think to. But I will now.

Cornfield
03-04-2013, 09:54 AM
Real good - a slow bluesy country feel - like it.
Haven't heard "murder of crows" in a song before.
And a 'well worn' hat worn well.
Thanks for listening and commenting. Yeah, with "Murder of Crows" in it, it may have qualified for bird week too.

xommen
03-04-2013, 10:18 AM
Ok here is my entry, New York by U2

http://youtu.be/OzryiJTY9Kg

xommen
03-04-2013, 10:19 AM
And my one bonus: U2 - Angel of Harlem

http://youtu.be/VaYr9qnmYJY

Barbablanca
03-04-2013, 01:50 PM
OK - So I hope to record my "best" song of place (about one of the most amazing places I have ever been) tomorrow.

Here is a sneak preview (https://www.google.com/search?hl=ca&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1111&bih=527&q=skellig+michael&oq=Skelli&gs_l=img.1.1.0i19l10.2147.3571.0.8466.6.6.0.0.0.0. 137.704.0j6.6.0...0.0...1ac.1.5.img.DFz7DKdUMsA) of the place.

Meanwhile, I've managed to tear myself away from class preparation to listen to some entries for this week and here are some brief comments.

Dave Wave Gulf Coast Highway - great song, very understated. Thanks for adding the lyrics, I always find it easier to listen if I can read the lyrics too :)

Joko - Real sense of place in that song. Liked the laid back solo too.

GaryC - What a fun song. I love how you "people" Soda Town - Very Dylanesque in many ways.

JazzBanjorex -I felt like putting on a grass skirt, or a loud shirt, after listening to this jolly ditty. Great performance.
BTW How's your six string tuned? I mean which strings are paired or octaved?

WeeGinga Yin - Eric Bogle is the master of touching our social consciences. Didn't know this song.
Nice to hear a "clean" song from you - sound wise. Though, as you know, I also love your reverb heavy + delay masterpieces!

Filipinoukjer - Hooray! We get to hear you sing in Tagalog. I love the sound of it! Your voice is just going from strength to strength! Smashing!

MrEWorm - Very atmospheric song. Great looking reso-uke. Perfect vocals for that song... just the right amount of heartbreak in the voice.

Xomen - Now Wim, I wonder why I was half expecting you to do this song? ;) The original always reminds me of the Velvet Underground (I think they did that deliberately). Your version sounds more like an out-take from Lou Reed's "Transformer" - Nice one! PS Just seen your Bonus. That was the other one I half expected ;) Or the Joshua Tree ;)

pabrizzer
03-04-2013, 02:42 PM
Ok here is my entry, New York by U2

And my one bonus: U2 - Angel of Harlem

Enjoyed both of these U2 songs Wim. Thanks.

myrnaukelele
03-04-2013, 04:06 PM

That is hilarious!!

BillMo
03-04-2013, 04:23 PM
Thanks to UkeyDave for the inspirational trailer. First timer here so be gentle.
Cover of Under The Milky Way Tonight by the Church.

http://youtu.be/X8_QQk652k8

pabrizzer
03-04-2013, 04:36 PM
Thanks to UkeyDave for the inspirational trailer. First timer here so be gentle.
Cover of Under The Milky Way Tonight by the Church.

Welcome aboard. This is a favourite song of mine - a guy named Jimmy Little (gone last year) did a great version too.

Like it a lot. It suits the 8 string well and solid vocals. Real good.

BillMo
03-04-2013, 04:53 PM
Thanks I was freaking out about trying to record it. And yes he did. I really like his version too.

SailQwest
03-04-2013, 04:58 PM
Just finished watching what's on this Seasons playlist, so far. Very nice videos!

I would like to mention that my wonderful tech-savvy hubby helped me figure out how to watch these on our TV. Also, he enjoyed watching the Seasons videos with me so much that he's talking about doing a duet with me for this Season. :D

pabrizzer
03-04-2013, 05:46 PM
Just finished watching what's on this Seasons playlist, so far. Very nice videos!

I would like to mention that my wonderful tech-savvy hubby helped me figure out how to watch these on our TV. Also, he enjoyed watching the Seasons videos with me so much that he's talking about doing a duet with me for this Season. :D

YES! Do it please.

Jazzbanjorex
03-04-2013, 05:47 PM
"JazzBanjorex -I felt like putting on a grass skirt, or a loud shirt, after listening to this jolly ditty. Great performance.
BTW How's your six string tuned? I mean which strings are paired or octaved?"

Thank you.
It is not the way it came. It is tuned gCEA and the C and E are paired. Originally the C string was octaved. I love the sound and wish I had a 4 string of the same model.

Jazzbanjorex
03-04-2013, 05:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foy3UV9hfJM&feature=youtu.be

pabrizzer
03-04-2013, 07:27 PM
Never Been to Spain

Great song choice for this week and it mentions YOUR state.
Real good!!! (even without the hat)

Dan Uke
03-04-2013, 08:12 PM
White Sandy Beach of Hawaii by Iz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCLx0u3YGig&feature=youtu.be

pabrizzer
03-04-2013, 09:13 PM
White Sandy Beach of Hawaii by Iz

Really nicely done. Even had the wave sounds and the seagulls. Lovely.

pabrizzer
03-04-2013, 09:44 PM
Host's Bonus.
Cha and Pa - Botany Bay. (Just a few verses)
No convicts actually settled at Botany Bay. First Fleet arrived and found it unsuitable and explored further north and found the magnificent natural harbour which was named Port Jackson (Sydney Harbour). They sailed through the heads which Cook had completely missed and that is where the first settlement (basically a slow, insidious invasion) took place.
Cha only learnt song today - practiced quite a bit then did the video on first and only take so real pleased at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWr7_u7ZJxU

Frax
03-04-2013, 09:49 PM
You both are so cute !!! 'love this sunshiny bonus ! =)

pabrizzer
03-04-2013, 09:58 PM
You both are so cute !!! 'love this sunshiny bonus ! =)
He he Pa hasn't been called cute before (at least not that he can remember)
But Charlie (Charlotte) certainly is! (Says a proud pa!)
Thanks.

TheUkeBloke
03-05-2013, 12:31 AM
This is my entry for Season 55 of the Ukulele Underground Contest (location), a cover version of "Scots of the Riverina" performed by John Schumann & The Vagabond Crew.
"Scots of the Riverina" is an Australian bush poem by Henry Lawson. It is set in the Riverina, New South Wales in the town of Gundagai.
Australian country singer Lee Kernaghan interpreted the poem musically on his album The Outback Club in 1992.
Hugh McDonald recorded it on his 1994 album "Lawson" and it was later recorded by John Schumann and the Vagabond Crew on the 2005 album Lawson and also on their next album Behind the Lines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6ycdHrHjsc

pabrizzer
03-05-2013, 01:04 AM
This is my entry for Season 55 of the Ukulele Underground Contest (location), a cover version of "Scots of the Riverina" performed by John Schumann & The Vagabond Crew.
"Scots of the Riverina" is an Australian bush poem by Henry Lawson. It is set in the Riverina, New South Wales in the town of Gundagai.
Australian country singer Lee Kernaghan interpreted the poem musically on his album The Outback Club in 1992.
Hugh McDonald recorded it on his 1994 album "Lawson" and it was later recorded by John Schumann and the Vagabond Crew on the 2005 album Lawson and also on their next album Behind the Lines.

The guy in the song was a stubborn old bloke who left it all too late,
Real good job on this David. I really liked your strum/pick playing.

wee_ginga_yin
03-05-2013, 02:26 AM
He he Pa hasn't been called cute before (at least not that he can remember)
But Charlie (Charlotte) certainly is! (Says a proud pa!)
Thanks.

Ok since it is granddad and grand-daughter time here is my bonus for the season.

Hang out the washing on the seigfreid line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHYseyqGlgA

Barbablanca
03-05-2013, 04:47 AM
Despite suffering the greyest day we've had in months, I've managed to record this. I was hoping to do it up on the hills outside one of the dry-stone-built, beehive-shaped rock shelters for shepherds our hills are dotted with - very similar in construction to the beehive huts mentioned in the song - but the heavens were pouring down upon the hills - so I had to settle for another "bedroom" recording.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW5CjtQRqBc&feature=youtube_gdata

If you'd like to hear how our old Folk Band "The Magic Ox Band" used to do this back in the 80s click here (http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=101777).

For lyrics click on the MORE button on the video description at YouTube.

Frax
03-05-2013, 05:07 AM
Despite suffering the greyest day we've had in months, I've managed to record this. I was hoping to do it up on the hills outside one of the dry-stone-built, beehive-shaped rock shelters for shepherds our hills are dotted with - very similar in construction to the beehive huts mentioned in the song - but the heavens were pouring down upon the hills - so I had to settle for another "bedroom" recording.
Awesome !

Great playin, perfect tempo (what an amazing loudness by the way !). Your vocal's also clear and strong, accurate as it can be. Great perf !!! Is that an original song of yours ?

glass
03-05-2013, 05:40 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW5CjtQRqBc&feature=youtube_gdata

If you'd like to hear how our old Folk Band "The Magic Ox Band" used to do this back in the 80s click here (http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=101777).

For lyrics click on the MORE button on the video description at YouTube.

that was a great job!

Barbablanca
03-05-2013, 05:54 AM
..... Is that an original song of yours ?

It is indeed. Glad you liked it! It's an oldie but goldie from 1984 or 1985. We used to do it with "The Magic Ox Band" my old folk outfit.

pabrizzer
03-05-2013, 09:33 AM

Yes. Liked this a lot Bernie. It looks like an impressive place.
Guitalele sounds great!
Loved the flute in the band version.
Can you still jump the octave in the chorus?

pabrizzer
03-05-2013, 09:41 AM
Ok since it is granddad and grand-daughter time here is my bonus for the season.

Hang out the washing on the seigfreid line.

This is great W_G_Y and GRANDdaughter. Really GRAND.

xommen
03-05-2013, 10:09 AM
Xommen - Now Wim, I wonder why I was half expecting you to do this song? ;) The original always reminds me of the Velvet Underground (I think they did that deliberately). Your version sounds more like an out-take from Lou Reed's "Transformer" - Nice one! PS Just seen your Bonus. That was the other one I half expected ;) Or the Joshua Tree ;)
Thanks, the Joshua Tree is a name of an album which does not have a title track, I could have done Red Hill Mining Town from that Album, but I already did that in a previous season.

UkeyDave
03-05-2013, 10:24 AM
Here's my entry warts and all. I hope you like the dramatic intro ;) I had terrible trouble with this entry but decided I WASN'T going to be beaten. I'm sure the seasons will be the death of me. This should become blatantly apparent after watching this. I've included the out-takes highlighting some major problems with my tongue and basic English language.:confused:

http://youtu.be/V3FOFn5uMS0

we tigers
03-05-2013, 11:11 AM
here's our song. It's about a place, but not a specific place. My Little Corner of the World. A sweet pop song from 1960, but we got to know it in 1997 when Yo La Tengo recorded it for their album I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One.

http://youtu.be/B6c4-_snE7I

pabrizzer
03-05-2013, 11:20 AM
Here's my entry warts and all. I hope you like the dramatic intro ;) I had terrible trouble with this entry but decided I WASN'T going to be beaten. I'm sure the seasons will be the death of me. This should become blatantly apparent after watching this. I've included the out-takes highlighting some major problems with my tongue and basic English language.:confused:

This song would have been high on my list. Great version. Enjoyed it a LOT.

here's our song. It's about a place, but not a specific place. My Little Corner of the World. A sweet pop song from 1960, but we got to know it in 1997 when Yo La Tengo recorded it for their album I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One.

Would love to join you in that corner. Just lovely guys!!!

Tootler
03-05-2013, 12:45 PM
I found I had already used the song that I first thought of in an earlier season, so it was on to plan B. In fact I have found quite a few folk songs with place in the name, sometimes real, sometimes imaginary or even metaphorical.

For now, here is a Burns song. One of his less well known ones that I like very much. The notes in the book I took it from state "The woods of Craigie-burn near Moffat were a favourite haunt of Burns and it was here that he was inspired to write this song by the amorous efforts between a local girl and his friend, Mr. Gillespie. I have a feeling that behind the apparently maudlin ending is Burns chuckling while he teases his friend about his attempts to get his girl.

The song is quite short, so I thought a little 'moothie' was called for.

http://youtu.be/dYQW0S3_FGI

Call this my entry for now, but I have some other possibilities in mind so I may change my mind later, if that's OK.

pabrizzer
03-05-2013, 02:03 PM
I found I had already used the song that I first thought of in an earlier season, so it was on to plan B. In fact I have found quite a few folk songs with place in the name, sometimes real, sometimes imaginary or even metaphorical.

For now, here is a Burns song. One of his less well known ones that I like very much. The notes in the book I took it from state "The woods of Craigie-burn near Moffat were a favourite haunt of Burns and it was here that he was inspired to write this song by the amorous efforts between a local girl and his friend, Mr. Gillespie. I have a feeling that behind the apparently maudlin ending is Burns chuckling while he teases his friend about his attempts to get his girl.

The song is quite short, so I thought a little 'moothie' was called for.

Call this my entry for now, but I have some other possibilities in mind so I may change my mind later, if that's OK.

Nicely done and the harmonica was great..

Bland Mango Patterson
03-05-2013, 04:33 PM
kick me if im asking anobvious question but how do i sign up and whats a bonus entry?

OldePhart
03-05-2013, 05:32 PM
kick me if im asking anobvious question but how do i sign up and whats a bonus entry?

Okay, bend over...

No seriously, we're a lot more friendly than that. There is no signing up, you just upload your video to YouTube and post a link to it here and you've entered.

A bonus entry is one that isn't an "entry" in the contest but is related to it. Usually a bonus doesn't fit the rules for the "season" for one reason or another. (It may use multi-tracking when the season doesn't allow it, or it may be a video that was produced for something else instead of specifically for the current season, etc.)

John

pabrizzer
03-05-2013, 05:40 PM
A bonus entry is one that isn't an "entry" in the contest but is related to it. Usually a bonus doesn't fit the rules for the "season" for one reason or another. (It may use multi-tracking when the season doesn't allow it, or it may be a video that was produced for something else instead of specifically for the current season, etc.)

John

Yea all of those things
or it could be just another video that fits the season perfectly but it isn't your official entry.
Usually we are allowed heaps but some hosts (stingy ones like me) just ask for a certain number of bonus vids or even request that there be none.

uke4ia
03-05-2013, 06:55 PM
If a Season's theme inspires you so much that you can't choose just one song to do, you can play multiple songs. You choose one to be your official entry for the week, to be judged for your chance to win fabulous prizes. The other songs you do are bonus entries, which win you the adulation of your peers but usually aren't eligible toward winning.

Dougf
03-05-2013, 07:29 PM
There are a few locations mentioned in this one by Cole Porter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4XnR_GRdBI

23skidoo
03-05-2013, 07:52 PM
Alan, Zac and I got together tonight and took a shot at this wonderful Parsons/Hillman tune from The Flying Burrito Brothers - 'Sin City', about Las Vegas.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOd2cqKmS0s

erivel
03-05-2013, 08:41 PM
Alan, Zac and I got together tonight and took a shot at this wonderful Parsons/Hillman tune from The Flying Burrito Brothers - 'Sin City', about Las Vegas.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOd2cqKmS0s

I love that song! Awesome harmonies there guys!

Hochapeafarm
03-05-2013, 09:06 PM
So, you're going to laugh (I hope!) a lot at this one -- but, first, everyone throw on your roller skates, and ladies, go get your leg warmers on -- and then get ready for a blast from the past back to 1980 -- "to a place where nobody dared to go!" Pabrizzer, I am probably breaking the rules, here, 'cuz as you'll soon see -- this song is about a fictitious place! Here's my very first Seasons entry -- hope you get a kick out of it! Btw, this was one of my favorite songs when I was a kid -- and one of my favorite movies -- and yep, I was a TOTAL roller skating queen back in the day!!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAMEfAG_2zg

ukuleledaveey
03-05-2013, 09:18 PM
Howdy gang here is my entry for this week, many thanks Brian for hosting.

http://youtu.be/9XWsl27av8c

Bland Mango Patterson
03-05-2013, 10:15 PM
Okay, bend over...

No seriously, we're a lot more friendly than that. There is no signing up, you just upload your video to YouTube and post a link to it here and you've entered.

John

thanks folks ... that seems easy 'nuff ... here is my entry then. im pretty sure its on a map somewhere ... no where near me though!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB5JSb-fkUQ

pabrizzer
03-05-2013, 11:30 PM
There are a few locations mentioned in this one by Cole Porter.

Smooth jazzy feel and chords. Well done as always Doug.

Love your work guys. Great performance!!!

So, you're going to laugh (I hope!) a lot at this one -- but, first, everyone throw on your roller skates, and ladies, go get your leg warmers on -- and then get ready for a blast from the past back to 1980 -- "to a place where nobody dared to go!" Pabrizzer, I am probably breaking the rules, here, 'cuz as you'll soon see -- this song is about a fictitious place! Here's my very first Seasons entry -- hope you get a kick out of it! Btw, this was one of my favorite songs when I was a kid -- and one of my favorite movies -- and yep, I was a TOTAL roller skating queen back in the day!!)

Olivia Newton John beauty. It's all good and a fine cover too. And not that many places or songs start with an X.

Howdy gang here is my entry for this week, many thanks Brian for hosting.

A beauty Dave! Good one.

thanks folks ... that seems easy 'nuff ... here is my entry then. im pretty sure its on a map somewhere ... no where near me though!

Love the strumming. Good performance on this old classic. Thanks.

Bland Mango Patterson
03-05-2013, 11:51 PM
Smooth jazzy feel and chords. Well done as always Doug.

Love your work guys. Great performance!!!

Olivia Newton John beauty. It's all good and a fine cover too. And not that many places or songs start with an X.

A beauty Dave! Good one.

and might i say yr own little collab was great. a tune i love to play clawhammer banjo but never knew no crook went there!!
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

Love the strumming. Good performance on this old classic. Thanks.

and might i say yr own little collab was great. a tune i love to play clawhammer banjo but never knew no crook went there!!

Kem
03-06-2013, 02:34 AM
Hi...I'm a newbie to the Seasons, and unfortunately, I'm drowning in work this week and don't have time to make a recording. However, I can post a bonus entry to demonstrate that I'm paying attention. Here's an original song I wrote last year and recorded in January:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EZXljQkWeU

GinnyT11
03-06-2013, 08:12 AM
Hi...I'm a newbie to the Seasons, and unfortunately, I'm drowning in work this week and don't have time to make a recording. However, I can post a bonus entry to demonstrate that I'm paying attention. Here's an original song I wrote last year and recorded in January:

Kem, this is delightful! I had no idea Toronto had such a useful hero. Great singing.
I look forward to you being less work-laden and able to post entries often. Next time show us your uke and strumming.

GinnyT11
03-06-2013, 08:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM33be3gRfQ

Far Away Places have always called to me.

pabrizzer
03-06-2013, 09:20 AM

Good playing and singing.
Quirky story - from some of the clips on the side (on youtube) it appears Toronto Batman might be a real guy?

pabrizzer
03-06-2013, 09:24 AM
Far Away Places have always called to me.

Lovely performance and great song choice.

ChaosToo
03-06-2013, 09:50 AM
Some fantastic entries for this one, isn't there!

Loving this seasons lark and I'm really going to try and fluff something out in the next couple of days.......honest!

Kem
03-06-2013, 11:02 AM
Good playing and singing.
Quirky story - from some of the clips on the side (on youtube) it appears Toronto Batman might be a real guy?

Yes, he's absolutely a real guy. Some of the stranger bits of the song are playing on his catchphrases. He hangs around Dundas Square and tells everyone who approaches him that his parents are dead and he wants some beef jerky. It's...strange.

Regarding the invisibility of the uke and my hands: I know that's a problem. I'm filming in a very cramped space and have a hard time shoving the camera far enough back that you can see my face AND my uke. Perhaps I'll eventually find a solution.

Barbablanca
03-06-2013, 11:39 AM
Thanks, the Joshua Tree is a name of an album which does not have a title track....

:o Senior moment. The track I was thinking of was: "In God's Country" - I remembered it as being called "The Joshua Tree"

bbbannister
03-06-2013, 11:43 AM
So this week my location is Scarborough Fair.

A very old English folk tune brought to popular fame by a couple of lads from the US.

Bass and tenor Ukes, with multi dubbing unison vocals.

Enjoy...

http://youtu.be/ssgto_a-91E

Bob Bill

xommen
03-06-2013, 11:47 AM
:o Senior moment. The track I was thinking of was: "In God's Country" - I remembered it as being called "The Joshua Tree"

That one would have worked for location too, I did not think of that one, well maybe some one else will do it, as I am out of bonuses ;).

we tigers
03-06-2013, 12:08 PM
here's our bonus song. It is not about quality but it's about having fun.
It's New England by Jonathan Richman. We visited New England twelve years ago when my sister got married in Maine (They live in the Netherlands though), so this one goes out to her. We've added some extra vocals, ubass and a few pics of our trip.

http://youtu.be/xw8iJ9hRXBA

dadadadumdadumdadum... oooh New England!

Barbablanca
03-06-2013, 12:23 PM
Been catching up on some entries over the last few days. May have missed a couple - forgive me, if so. I'd just call in to see the latest and then write a quick note in response.

Nongdam - What romantic mush! :) But well sung and played!

Cha & Pa - Cute. Love the matching bowlers

Ukebloke - Moving song, well performed.

Jazz B --- Soulful singing. I just had to listen to that one, didn't I? ;)

WGY - Wow! I wonder what your granddaughter makes of that one. It was strangely anachronistic to have a little 21st Century Miss singing of a 20th C. defensive line. She's a gem - a great voice that's gonna get greater and what confidence! I love the mirror reflecting you - nice touch... and the dizzy making end when she thought the camera was off.

Toolter -- Another classic ballad there Geoff! Liked the "harp" too :)

23 Skiddoo - That was great, guys! I'd love to see you guys live and sing along. That's the sound my Dad loved and I was brought up on. He'd have really enjoyed that.

Hochapeafarm - I didn't know this one. Which movie was it from? Well sung and played! Roller on sister!

UkeyDavey - Quite a bizarre song! Well performed. They don't write them like that any more :)

GT3T11 - A nice little ditty, well performed. I once had a girlfriend whose Dad was a travel writer for Blue Guides. Great job, if you can get it.

BBbannister - An old favourite admirably approached.

uke4ia
03-06-2013, 02:22 PM
Thank you so much, YouTube, the video I uploaded won't actually play beyond the first minute.

:mad:

pabrizzer
03-06-2013, 02:25 PM
So this week my location is Scarborough Fair.

A very old English folk tune brought to popular fame by a couple of lads from the US.

Bass and tenor Ukes, with multi dubbing unison vocals.

Enjoy...

Bob Bill

Beautifully done. Loved the intro which was also done elsewhere in the song. Really top job. Quite haunting. And the old major chord at the end.

uke4ia
03-06-2013, 02:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0BGcqM8S-M

Okay, let's try this again.

This is a Thomas Dolby song I've always loved called "Leipzig". I'm hoping that before the week's out, I'll have an original song finished and demote this to being my bonus tune. But given that it's Wednesday already and I haven't had a minute to work on it, it's probably not going to happen.

TCK
03-06-2013, 03:09 PM
Sick and dying here, not sure if I can play a note, but for those that care-today is my favorite musicians birthday.
Happy 108 Mister Wills
The king of songs about places.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--_AXFcm48o

Jazzbanjorex
03-06-2013, 03:21 PM
Been catching up on some entries over the last few days. May have missed a couple - forgive me, if so. I'd just call in to see the latest and then write a quick note in response.
Jazz B --- Soulful singing. I just had to listen to that one, didn't I? ;)

I thought you might like that one. Had you in mind when I picked it out.

Jazzbanjorex
03-06-2013, 03:24 PM
Sick and dying here, not sure if I can play a note, but for those that care-today is my favorite musicians birthday.
Happy 108 Mister Wills
The king of songs about places.

This is the song I'd picked out for The Little White Ukulele. Good song. Good town. But I'm a little partial.

myrnaukelele
03-06-2013, 04:58 PM

Nice one Chelle! Sounded good - now I have Xanadu rolling around in my head lol!

pabrizzer
03-06-2013, 05:23 PM
It's New England by Jonathan Richman. We visited New England twelve years ago when my sister got married in Maine (They live in the Netherlands though), so this one goes out to her. We've added some extra vocals, ubass and a few pics of our trip.

Infectious fun. What a beauty!!!

This is a Thomas Dolby song I've always loved called "Leipzig". I'm hoping that before the week's out, I'll have an original song finished and demote this to being my bonus tune. But given that it's Wednesday already and I haven't had a minute to work on it, it's probably not going to happen.

Don't know much about the song or the place. Good job on this though uke4ia.

Hippie Dribble
03-06-2013, 06:18 PM
thankyou Brian for a great theme again this week...space isn't just a place out there in the ether, it's a state of mind :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ysoawdL7Ts

pabrizzer
03-06-2013, 07:00 PM
thankyou Brian for a great theme again this week...space isn't just a place out there in the ether, it's a state of mind :o

So wonderful Jon. Loved it! Where did you come across this one? Would like to know a bit about the song.
Your song list is so eclectic.

thesillydave
03-06-2013, 08:46 PM
here's my official bonus entry...though, if i don't get a chance to record another one...it might have to be my official entry...who am i kidding..more to come!
this is from the cartoon show, The Animaniacs, Yakko's song of nations...probably the hardest lyrics i've ever done!

http://youtu.be/2lnSKLKj9Ww

rave on seasonistas!

myrnaukelele
03-06-2013, 08:51 PM
here's my official bonus entry...though, if i don't get a chance to record another one...it might have to be my official entry...who am i kidding..more to come!
this is from the cartoon show, The Animaniacs, Yakko's song of nations...probably the hardest lyrics i've ever done!
rave on seasonistas!
The best location song yet! You win the prize for the most locations.:D

myrnaukelele
03-06-2013, 09:00 PM
Irving Berlin wrote this song in 1920. Many thanks to Wicked who helped me locate the chords.

http://youtu.be/FmPp90nO_6o

pabrizzer
03-06-2013, 09:05 PM
rave on seasonistas!

Key changes. The WORLD in a song. That's one over the top place song. You keep coming up with the great stuff SD!!
And a Chinese hat? Wonderful!
Your bonus entry was "Location, Location, Location, Location, Location, Location, Location, Location, Location, Location, Location, Location, Location, Location, Location, Location, Location, Location, Location, Location, Location, Location, Location, Location, Location, Location, Location, Location........"

pabrizzer
03-06-2013, 09:15 PM
Irving Berlin wrote this song in 1920. Many thanks to Wicked who helped me locate the chords.

Lovely Myrna!
It's always a fantastic smorgasbord of songs we get in the seasons.
It's just great seeing what the Seasonistas will serve up.

bbbannister
03-06-2013, 10:10 PM

Lol. Made me laugh. Loved it. BB

pabrizzer
03-06-2013, 10:42 PM

OK I commented on the song before which was a great cover of this beaut song!
On the out takes - they were beaut too and I had a good laugh.
On the few occasions I try and do a perfect take - I end up getting quite frustrated - which Dave showed despite his good humour a few times (my out takes would have a LOT more bleeps).
But for me it ceases to be fun - which is why I will usually be happy with a first take with a few blemishes.

On the other hand when you finally nail that perfect take it is a great source of satisfaction and joy.

Thanks for sharing your bloopers Dave.
And the beaut end result.

pabrizzer
03-06-2013, 11:04 PM
And for those not familiar with Yakko as referred to by the sillydave here he is....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x88Z5txBc7w

decaturcomp
03-06-2013, 11:22 PM
A grabbag of the first videos I ran across during a fit of sleeplessness - God, I love Seasonistas. Thank you for them and bless them all, please. Over.

We Tigers - I was just listening to Yo La Tengo covering Roadrunner and here you lot come with the big New England? And, and, and with a spiffing delivery that knocks me plumb over. Jolly nicely done!

Bbannister - I’m loving the lutenescacized sound of this, both of your vocals are very modern in a post-gregorian way, so nice to hear. I may prefer this to those American Laddies’ version, I think. Has a rolling ship chantey feel I’ve never considered. A revelation.

You have doubled the uke in the recording process as well as the vocal, yes?

GT3T11 ah, how lovely (and a wonderful, confidant performance!) this is a song that i’ve loved since my kiddohood and I love the way you sing it. I dig that you were a travel writer, too! There are more sides to you than to a set of roll playing dice!

UkeyDave! I don’t know about low on talent, not at all, sir. I LOVE waterloo sunset and your version is encouraging more than a bit of head bopping along. I like the reggaeesque feel to your strum here. I tend to like to do that with some songs these days. Most enjoyable, young fellah! And as for the Grand Opening, what can I say, almost as exciting as the OUTTAKES! Be sure to watch this straight through to the end folks. UD is a tour de force of nature!

My vote for video of the year so far, although I don’t know if there even is such a thing, In my limited mind...thus far, howsumever? it’s all about the Ukey Dave!

bbbannister
03-07-2013, 04:12 AM
I
A grabbag of the first videos I ran across during a fit of sleeplessness - God, I love Seasonistas. Thank you for them and bless them all, please. Over.

Bbannister - I’m loving the lutenescacized sound of this, both of your vocals are very modern in a post-gregorian way, so nice to hear. I may prefer this to those American Laddies’ version, I think. Has a rolling ship chantey feel I’ve never considered. A revelation.

You have doubled the uke in the recording process as well as the vocal, yes?

Thanks for the comments. The tenor Uke was one take, but I had both a wired pickup input and a microphone input into the mixer. So kind of doubled in one go.

Next was a uBass track.

Then I added about 4 vocal tracks, but all unison, trying to sing them exactly the same.

Then...

Wait for it...

I mimed the vid! LOL

Felt like 1990's top of the pops. No live singing here son!

TCK
03-07-2013, 04:39 AM
Not going to miss out...so here I am at 6AM (stupid cat) in my PJ's, riddled with plague.
Fever, cold medicine and caffeine,
and punk rock ukulele sty-lings for you fine folks.
This is a little ditty about where I hail from:
East Bay Nights by Rancid
Great Season Pa!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWf7DLJ8j6k&feature=youtu.be

ChaosToo
03-07-2013, 04:52 AM
Not going to miss out...so here I am at 6AM (stupid cat) in my PJ's, riddled with plague.
Great Season Pa!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWf7DLJ8j6k&feature=youtu.be

Now we're talking! See - this is my type of uke playing and my type of music! Top job mate! :D

Dougf
03-07-2013, 05:07 AM
Here's a bonus track of my song about Paris, with some pics and video from my vacation there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xMPCaVyYAo

GinnyT11
03-07-2013, 05:25 AM

What a treat to watch this video! It's a very fun song, and you had fun doing it. Nice pictures, too.
You must visit again—do you have another marriageable sister?

GinnyT11
03-07-2013, 05:42 AM
here's my official bonus entry...this is from the cartoon show, The Animaniacs, Yakko's song of nations...probably the hardest lyrics i've ever done! rave on seasonistas!

Many, many KUDOS to you, Dave, for learning and doing that song!
When my son was young, we watched The Animaniacs regularly. It had lots of jokes for grown-ups* among the zaniness. I loved this song and would dash to hear it when it came on. It's a tough one, and you did Yakko proud.

* "Pinky and the Brain" [two lab mice] cartoons always started this way:
"Gee, Brain, what do you want to do tonight?"
"The same thing we do every night, Pinky—try to take over the world."

we tigers
03-07-2013, 05:42 AM
Thanks Ginny! We woud love to visit the US again, but with kids budget has become a little tighter and I am out of sisters... But we loved New England! I've also been to New York a couple of times; had a great time!

frisbee fred
03-07-2013, 07:47 AM
When does this season end?

thesillydave
03-07-2013, 07:58 AM
When does this season end?

sunday midnight hawaii time...time to get those songs in!

frisbee fred
03-07-2013, 08:01 AM
Thanks. I haven't done one before and might make this my first season......

Tootler
03-07-2013, 08:05 AM
Here's another from me. The "place" is metaphorical though it also could represent a generic real place. At the moment a bonus, though I may change my mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlIeJSBgLjY

I hope to catch up on the entries later.

erivel
03-07-2013, 08:34 AM
A song about New York. A track off of "Mirage," one of my favorite childhood albums. Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zpMHQM_So4&feature=share&list=UUWnK-yNM96lCeQn0VwwiDjg

pabrizzer
03-07-2013, 09:53 AM
Great Season Pa!

A great little offering from one unwell. Really appreciate and enjoyed it!

Here's a bonus track of my song about Paris, with some pics and video from my vacation there.

Just lovely Doug. Enjoyed the pictures and videos too.

Here's another from me. The "place" is metaphorical though it also could represent a generic real place. At the moment a bonus, though I may change my mind.

I hope to catch up on the entries later.
I really like Sting and have quite a few of his CDs so I enjoyed this a lot. Can be done quite nicely with treble recorder too Mr Tootler.

A song about New York. A track off of "Mirage," one of my favorite childhood albums. Hope you enjoy!

I certainly did enjoy! Loved the strum.

ukuloonie
03-07-2013, 10:05 AM
Thanks. I haven't done one before and might make this my first season......

Go For it.....

frisbee fred
03-07-2013, 10:20 AM
Go For it.....

Workin on it..... :uhoh:

Hochapeafarm
03-07-2013, 10:30 AM
Hey, thanks so much, Myrna! I was such a huge ONJ and ELO fan when I was a kid -- I am so glad that I did this because it brought back so many fond memories -- not to mention, it was just so much fun to learn this song -- and *attempt* to play it! :D

P.S. Did you get a hankerin' to throw on the ol' roller skates? If I still had mine, you can bet that I would have played and recorded this song while wearing them! Ha!

Nice one Chelle! Sounded good - now I have Xanadu rolling around in my head lol!

Bland Mango Patterson
03-07-2013, 10:42 AM
Well this is certainly a very motivational game and I'm sure ill be back for more. I already have a few favourites that will be hard to knock off!

SailQwest
03-07-2013, 11:21 AM
I got my honey to join me for this one. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7Y05ze--SU&feature=share&list=UUiNckypsSVJWH2JcVUVtsSA

Tootler
03-07-2013, 11:23 AM
I really like Sting and have quite a few of his CDs so I enjoyed this a lot. Can be done quite nicely with treble recorder too Mr Tootler.

I actually considered recorder - and wooden flute. In fact, I sang it up a tone so I could overdub the flute. In the end, I went for harmonica as I could do it all in a single take.

When I say 'single take', I use the term advisedly. :old:

lennymac
03-07-2013, 12:01 PM
HI All - hope you are all well!

Never posted in the seasons before - just noticed this one was called location, location, location and thought I may post the video I just posted in the videos and links section.. I recorded a 'first draft' of an arrangement of Fly Me to the Moon earlier today... Hope it's OK to post - don't know the rules, but this isn't really a serious entry anyway!! Love to get feedback!!

Ross

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DuEFtztLU0

Tootler
03-07-2013, 01:26 PM
Here is a traditional Scots song. This one is definitely a bonus as I am not entirely happy with the result but after a dozen takes, I thought that I would just live with it, stumbles an' all.

Mormond Hill is about 35 miles north of Aberdeen and the village of Strichen is about 1 mile to the south west of the hill.

http://youtu.be/cpXQQgCo1S0

PatriciaPDX
03-07-2013, 01:54 PM
Hard to pick a song this week; too many choices! But I decided to do "Old Cape Cod" this time around, as it was one of my dad's favorites. Everyone's entries are wonderful, will comment soon!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtg4tLoU5Yk&feature=youtu.be

myrnaukelele
03-07-2013, 02:58 PM
Hard to pick a song this week; too many choices! But I decided to do "Old Cape Cod" this time around, as it was one of my dad's favorites. Everyone's entries are wonderful, will comment soon!

Great song! I felt the same as you did - it was hard to choose a song this week because there SO many great songs about place. So many directions to go in.

TCK
03-07-2013, 03:34 PM

Xanadu is far from fictitious...It is a place where a million lights are dancing- a place where I am a shining star! Right now The Cloverdale Kid is putting on roller skates and a silver lame outfit, and smiling from ear to ear. This is about the best thing I have ever seen anyone post- What a first entry! Welcome to our own little Xanadu- hope you come back for more.
Thank you for completely making my week.
TCK

Now we're talking! See - this is my type of uke playing and my type of music! Top job mate! :D
Thanks mate- about all I was feeling this morning, but I do love me some Uke Punk Rock!

A great little offering from one unwell. Really appreciate and enjoyed it!
Thanks Pa- had to get something in this week, it is going off for sure! Awesome theme mate

GaryC1968
03-07-2013, 04:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zagrSqlAASM

Bonus Time! I had to go back to Soda Town. Things haven't gotten any better than the first time around. :)

erivel
03-07-2013, 07:00 PM
I certainly did enjoy! Loved the strum.

Thank you kindly! I just got hit with the stomach flu shortly after I posted this video this morning :( so I'll be out of commission for a bit...I hope to catch up with the rest of the videos in time!

Hippie Dribble
03-07-2013, 07:03 PM
I just got hit with the stomach flu shortly after I posted this video this morning

you and me both mate...not good :(

ukuloonie
03-07-2013, 07:19 PM
Woooohooo I found one
Man I hope I'll have time to record it.

erivel
03-08-2013, 01:15 AM
you and me both mate...not good :(

Yeah not fun! Hope you feel better soon!

DWitt
03-08-2013, 02:08 AM
I gave up on getting a good moment alone to record—both kids and my wife have been sick all week, and I've barely had a moment to myself. Still, I'm the one who's not sick, so I can't complain. Anyway, I took a few minutes at bedtime to record. Not perfect, but I think it came out well. And I figured out a software solution to get it through both channels, and the EQ!

This is "The Upper Peninsula," from Sufjan Stevens's album, "Michigan." (The U.P. is that discontiguous part of Michigan that should probably just be part of Wisconsin instead.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4GHxm9om4s

Am–Em–F-G7 is the pattern throughout.
I live in America
With a pair of Payless shoes
The upper penisula
And the television news
And I've seen my wife
At the K-Mart
In strange ideas
We live apart

I live in a trailer home
With a snow mobile, my car
The window is broken out
And the interstate is far
I drove all night
To find my child
In strange ideas
He's been revived

In strange ideas
In stranger times
I've no idea
What's right sometimes
I lost my mind
I lost my life
I lost my job
I lost my wife

Shady Wilbury
03-08-2013, 02:54 AM
*ulp*

I'm a first timer to these Seasons contests. Love the theme, and love this song.

http://youtu.be/gQF0ugVEJKg

Take care, and play on!

Shady

TCK
03-08-2013, 04:37 AM
WOW- This season has taken off nicely! Spent the morning with a cuppa and a little YouTube...perfect. I have left comments for all the entries on their videos under my alter ego Boweewowee, but wanted to make note of the unbelievable amount of first timers taking the plunge here. I am elated at all the new talent showing up, makes the seasons even better to see you folks jumping into the ring. Welcome to our little weekly thrill ride, and please keep posting because when you go missing, we tend to to miss you.
OK- more videos please ;)

austin1
03-08-2013, 06:13 AM
Here's my entry!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkufRi1NEcs&feature=youtu.be

ChaosToo
03-08-2013, 07:09 AM
Another brilliant entry. Never heard the song before, but how could you not love that version! :D

Cornfield
03-08-2013, 07:45 AM
http://youtu.be/Hbxt4W4gM7U

I know the rules say only one bonus video but I'm a rebel, y'know. Anyway, I have had my laptop for 2-3 years and just figured out it has a built in camera.

A bonus bonus - Miss the Mississippi and You by Bill Halley.

Please enjoy this blatant violation of protocol.

FiL
03-08-2013, 07:58 AM
My voice only goes this low early in the morning.

This is the Townes Van Zandt song "Snowin' On Raton", an appropriate entry for this snowy morning. Lucky for me, I took the day off from work to celebrate my birthday, which gave me time to capture this song before my voice fully woke up. The "Raton" in the title refers to the Raton Pass, a mountain pass on the Colorado/New Mexico border.

http://youtu.be/cEs-HmtVjw4

Not only does this song fit Season 55, the birds in the background hearken back to Season 54, and there is something about this song that would also make it fit Season 56... ;)

Enough yakking--time to go refill that feeder!

- FiL

Shady Wilbury
03-08-2013, 08:01 AM
Hey, FiL!

That's one of my favourite Townes songs. Sounds great on that eight-string uke. ('Til today, I'd never actually heard one.)

Maybe we'll see some more early-morning Townes from you?

If so, I look forward to it.

Shady

FiL
03-08-2013, 08:12 AM
Thanks, Shady!

- FiL

DWitt
03-08-2013, 10:06 AM
Found time today to record a bonus: "The Grand Canyon," by the Magnetic Fields.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0jEh1B__AI

I'm actually playing it in D, because that's how I tuned this instrument. But here are the chords in C:

C - F7 - C

C - Am (2-0-0-3)
If I was the Grand Canyon, I'd
F - Dm - G7
echo everything you say, but I'm
C - Em - F
just me. I'm only me, and
C - G7 - F
you used to love me that way, so you
C - G7 - F
know how to love me that way

etc.

pabrizzer
03-08-2013, 12:19 PM
Trying to catch up with the videos - which is why I just requested ONE bonus - but I knew I would have some rebels on this.

I got my honey to join me for this one. :D

Loved the team effort! Wonderful.

HI All - hope you are all well!

Never posted in the seasons before - just noticed this one was called location, location, location and thought I may post the video I just posted in the videos and links section.. I recorded a 'first draft' of an arrangement of Fly Me to the Moon earlier today... Hope it's OK to post - don't know the rules, but this isn't really a serious entry anyway!! Love to get feedback!!

Ross

Have added it to the season list. It was a beauty - REALLY well done.

Here is a traditional Scots song. This one is definitely a bonus as I am not entirely happy with the result but after a dozen takes, I thought that I would just live with it, stumbles an' all.

Mormond Hill is about 35 miles north of Aberdeen and the village of Strichen is about 1 mile to the south west of the hill.

Good one Tootler.

I love your entries Patricia and now we know why you are called Patricia! Loved the dedication to your dad.

Bonus Time! I had to go back to Soda Town. Things haven't gotten any better than the first time around. :)

A revisit to the carbonated copy of Peyton Place - now that will date some us.

I gave up on getting a good moment alone to record—both kids and my wife have been sick all week, and I've barely had a moment to myself. Still, I'm the one who's not sick, so I can't complain. Anyway, I took a few minutes at bedtime to record. Not perfect, but I think it came out well. And I figured out a software solution to get it through both channels, and the EQ!

This is "The Upper Peninsula," from Sufjan Stevens's album, "Michigan." (The U.P. is that discontiguous part of Michigan that should probably just be part of Wisconsin instead.)

This SO GOOD DWitt!!! Beautiful vocals and solid playing. Wow!

*ulp*

I'm a first timer to these Seasons contests. Love the theme, and love this song.

Shady

Good job. Welcome aboard! There are lots of critters watching from that shelf.

Here's my entry!

A beaut version of a beaut song.
For those not familiar with the song check out Ernie and Shawn Colvin singing this on the YouTube

I know the rules say only one bonus video but I'm a rebel, y'know. Anyway, I have had my laptop for 2-3 years and just figured out it has a built in camera.

A bonus bonus - Miss the Mississippi and You by Bill Halley.

Please enjoy this blatant violation of protocol.

Enjoyed it a lot but counting to one shouldn't be that difficult:)

My voice only goes this low early in the morning.

This is the Townes Van Zandt song "Snowin' On Raton", an appropriate entry for this snowy morning. Lucky for me, I took the day off from work to celebrate my birthday, which gave me time to capture this song before my voice fully woke up. The "Raton" in the title refers to the Raton Pass, a mountain pass on the Colorado/New Mexico border.

Not only does this song fit Season 55, the birds in the background hearken back to Season 54, and there is something about this song that would also make it fit Season 56... ;)

Enough yakking--time to go refill that feeder!

- FiL
Real GOOD! Loved the setting and the arrangement. It was a top job!

Found time today to record a bonus: "The Grand Canyon," by the Magnetic Fields.

Much better from two speakers! Terrific version!!!

pabrizzer
03-08-2013, 12:26 PM
Just a big WELCOME to those who have joined the fun here at THE SEASONS either this week or last.
Last season had a record number of entries and I'm already over the moon with the QUALITY and QUANTITY this season.
It's a GREAT reason to search out and perform a song each week and then share it with a great bunch of supportive, encouraging, fantastic people from all around the globe.

pabrizzer
03-08-2013, 12:39 PM
OK I have tried to keep the playlists up to date.
Please let me know if I've missed you (or anyone).
I have tried to comment both here and on YouTube - so again if I haven't it is just an oversight not intentional - so let me know and I'll attend to it.
What terrific entries this week. I thank you one and all.
Now on the bonus situation. I only requested one bonus so that I could attend to the entries properly - and that is more in terms of WATCHING rather than commenting. If I make a comment on a video I try to ensure that I have watched the ENTIRE performance. And that means time.
I am a bit of a serial bonuser myself so I understand the urge to share all those pent up songs.

That's a long way of saying it's OK to post a few more bonus tracks if you have that urge!
(Decaturcomp you have shown admirable restraint!)

Forgot to wish those on the sick (and injured) list a speedy recovery. It is a particularly nasty little bug this year.

frisbee fred
03-08-2013, 02:14 PM
First time doing this......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTV2f9A4yn4

pabrizzer
03-08-2013, 02:22 PM
First time doing this......

What a bonza debut performance. Good playing and singing. Thanks.

frisbee fred
03-08-2013, 02:51 PM
What a bonza debut performance. Good playing and singing. Thanks.

Thanks, pabrizzer. It was fun. Interesting the issues in recording. Like sneezing in the middle of a take.....

TCK
03-08-2013, 03:11 PM
Well darn it- nobody told me we were playing Townes songs...
Pretty sneaky there FiL (great song and video for sure).
OK- inspired.
I included my flub, because for me, practicing Townes is like choreographing punk rock. Just sat down and played the sucker...came out just like it oughta.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnOjlYXfqi8&feature=youtu.be

pabrizzer
03-08-2013, 03:29 PM
Well darn it- nobody told me we were playing Townes songs...
Pretty sneaky there FiL (great song and video for sure).
OK- inspired.
I included my flub, because for me, practicing Townes is like choreographing punk rock. Just sat down and played the sucker...came out just like it oughta.

A well done TVZ song will help season any season. Thanks TCK.

Shady Wilbury
03-08-2013, 11:44 PM
That was excellent, TCK!

You captured the soul of the song (God, it's not early, but I nearly typed soup - what gives! :) )

Love it, love Townes.

Take care,

Shady

TCK
03-09-2013, 05:21 AM
Thanks guys- love me some Townes-hadn't thought of it until FiL posted his for us ;)

chrimess
03-09-2013, 05:28 AM
Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M74g6cBW4bQ&sns=em

mikef
03-09-2013, 08:18 AM
Hello all! Here's my entry for Location, Location, Location week.
This is "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)" originally (apparently) by Jimmy Kennedy and Nat Simon and performed over the years by many people. The most famous version is by They Might Be Giants on which my effort is based. And if you're wondering, I have some sleigh bells on my foot :)

http://youtu.be/BCoRxJv7ffE

we tigers
03-09-2013, 09:28 AM
They Might Be Giants! Cool stuff!

pabrizzer
03-09-2013, 09:58 AM
Enjoy:

This is another WOW! entry for me. Just fantastic playing - I loved the harmonics ending - just a great performance. Again - WOW!

This is "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)" originally (apparently) by Jimmy Kennedy and Nat Simon and performed over the years by many people. The most famous version is by They Might Be Giants on which my effort is based. And if you're wondering, I have some sleigh bells on my foot :)

I have come to look forward to your contributions Mike. Great vocals and playing!

xommen
03-09-2013, 10:12 AM
As Bernie suggested this one and Brian now does allow more then one bonus, here is In God's Country by U2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75Tzsxch9qo

Cornfield
03-09-2013, 10:33 AM

http://youtu.be/BCoRxJv7ffE

I love TMBG. + 5 for cool hat + 5 for bells on your foot. You got my vote for song of the week.

pabrizzer
03-09-2013, 10:40 AM
As Bernie suggested this one and Brian now does allow more then one bonus, here is In God's Country by U2.

Good job Wim. U2 almost has a song to fit any theme.

I do like this song and actually did this as a bonus one week I think.
My version is linked below.
No it's not a host's bonus which I've already done and you don't have to click HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZSyYVpDYbo).

CountryMouse
03-09-2013, 11:25 AM
Sorry about not doing a video this week. Other things have been coming up, plus I think I'm getting burned out on doing a new video every week. I need a break. Or to do videos when I want to, not when I feel I have to.

Grrr. Stomp stomp stomp. Hehehehe. :rolleyes: I've been on a video game kick lately. LOVE the "Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity" demo and can't wait for the full game to release later this month.

CountryMouse

caukulele
03-09-2013, 12:30 PM
I love this week’s theme. There are so many great songs to choose from, and so many wonderful videos done already this week. I decided to try and learn one of my favorites, even though WallyBoy did such a great job kicking of this week with this song. I tuned my ukulele to F,Bb,D,G to bring it down to a lower range, to go with the mood of the song….
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_ODcuBeXBs

pabrizzer
03-09-2013, 12:33 PM
I love this week’s theme. There are so many great songs to choose from, and so many wonderful videos done already this week. I decided to try and learn one of my favorites, even though WallyBoy did such a great job kicking of this week with this song. I tuned my ukulele to F,Bb,D,G to bring it down to a lower range, to go with the mood of the song….

Just a delightful performance. Beautifully sung and played.

decaturcomp
03-09-2013, 12:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nocd7eShgc
Dave Rawlings' song about Harlem, NY

Thanks for the season, Brian
It's been a busy ass week but every video I've been able to watch has been top notch.

pabrizzer
03-09-2013, 01:04 PM
Dave Rawlings' song about Harlem, NY

Thanks for the season, Brian
It's been a busy ass week but every video I've been able to watch has been top notch.

Solid performance - really enjoyed this Alan. Glad you found the time to post.
I was worried that I had annoyed you with my bonus limit.

And - yes - as always the Seasonistas have done a great job!
I, like all hosts, really appreciate the time and effort put in to participating in the week's fun.

ukuloonie
03-09-2013, 01:07 PM
Here is my Song.
It is called Un Canadien Errant. "A Lost Canadian"
I didn't know about it, I think it was Sung in a movie called one week. Quite a few people have sung this song, Cohen, Pete Seegar to name a few.

There are several versions out there, the one I am singing is based on the version from Alexandre Belliard, from his album Legendes d'un peuple - Tome II

I sing it in French. So I apologize to the french speakers if I garble a couple of the words.

Here is Wiki link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Un_Canadien_errant)
And another link From the Canadian Encyclopedia. (http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/articles/emc/un-canadien-errant)

http://youtu.be/0FSpBALgBrs

krabbers
03-09-2013, 01:29 PM
a late one from us

http://youtu.be/55cbubCawMs

frisbee fred
03-09-2013, 01:59 PM
[QUOTE=krabbers;1209063]a late one from us

I almost did Kansas City. Glad I didn't because I love your version. Haven't heard it played that way. Really like the harmony too.

pabrizzer
03-09-2013, 02:33 PM
Here is my Song.
I didn't know about it, I think it was Sung in a movie called one week. Quite a few people have sung this song, Cohen, Pete Seegar to name a few.

There are several versions out there, the one I am singing is based on the version from Alexandre Belliard, from his album Legendes d'un peuple - Tome II

I sing it in French. So I apologize to the french speakers if I garble a couple of the words.

This is another WOW! performance for me. Just beautifully done. You have such a good voice!

a late one from us

You have every right to look pleased at the end - it was a beauty.
I was actually playing along - I just love a nicely written 3 chord song.
It really is amazing what can be done with 3 chords.

ukuloonie
03-09-2013, 03:12 PM
This is another WOW! performance for me. Just beautifully done. You have such a good voice!
Thanks Pabrizzer, It nice little tune, quite an old too

caukulele
03-09-2013, 04:12 PM
Just went through all the songs on You Tube for this Season so far, and what a wonderful, varied collection of songs.... I really enjoyed them all. We have so much talent on this forum...

mm stan
03-09-2013, 05:53 PM

I love this video...Great job...it's in a dropped tuning which is very nice and warm tone to match your voice...sweet.... have you done your hair too, looks real pretty...

decaturcomp
03-09-2013, 06:12 PM
[QUOTE=pabrizzer;1209043]Solid performance - really enjoyed this Alan. Glad you found the time to post.
I was worried that I had annoyed you with my bonus limit.[Quote]

Not at all, Brother. I feel that for all the volunteer work that you hosts do, it's my honor to accedeto any conditions you set.
Also, I understand the reasoning behind the condition.
I've been a slacker and not hosted yet so I'm doubly humbled by what you all do for us.
Thanks.

The fact is that we had gigs to play last night and tonight and the third person in our trio wasn't available except for the last half of tonight's show. We had to rehearse and rearrange stuff to make it work as a duo.
Plus, the rest of life and all that mundane stuff.

Raygf
03-09-2013, 06:17 PM
What a week. My father died early Monday morning and as the week progressed, I have felt worse and worse. I feel pretty beat up at the moment. After reading a post and doing several searches, then finally a purchase of the sheet music, this song started on Wednesday with lots of crying. I could barely get through a line or two. It has become a great joy and comfort. It is with a heavy heart that I offer up this marvelous tune in loving memory of my father, Jesse E. Forton (May 13, 1923 - March 4, 2013). I'm glad his suffering has ended and relatively quickly, but boy am I missing him right now. I'm glad I got to tell him many times that I love him.

<span style="font-family: Helvetica">
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3pqVYPrwRo

pabrizzer
03-09-2013, 06:46 PM
What a week. My father died early Monday morning and as the week progressed, I have felt worse and worse. I feel pretty beat up at the moment. After reading a post and doing several searches, then finally a purchase of the sheet music, this song started on Wednesday with lots of crying. I could barely get through a line or two. It has become a great joy and comfort. It is with a heavy heart that I offer up this marvelous tune in loving memory of my father, Jesse E. Forton (May 13, 1928 - March 4, 2013). I'm glad his suffering has ended and relatively quickly, but boy am I missing him right now. I'm glad I got to tell him many times that I love him.

Thanks for that beautifully performed song.

Shady Wilbury
03-09-2013, 10:42 PM
Yes, indeed. That was a beautiful performance. Lovely rich tone to the uke, and also to your vocal, raygf.

My thoughts are with you.

Raygf
03-09-2013, 11:59 PM
Thanks for that beautifully performed song.

Thank you. I just now heard the refrigerator buzzing on the recording. Noisy piece of junk. I'm going to rerecord this today without the confounded background noise. That drives me crazy. How did I miss that? I think I'll reduce the recording level as well.

Yes, indeed. That was a beautiful performance. Lovely rich tone to the uke, and also to your vocal, raygf.
My thoughts are with you.

Thank you very much. I love the LoPrinzi baritone. Picked it up here in the marketplace. You should hear it plugged in. The K&K Twin Spot sounds remarkable.

pabrizzer
03-10-2013, 12:06 AM
24 hours left for season 55.
And season 56 has begun. I'm just posting my entry now.

bbbannister
03-10-2013, 06:54 AM
What a week. My father died early Monday morning and as the week progressed, I have felt worse and worse. I feel pretty beat up at the moment. After reading a post and doing several searches, then finally a purchase of the sheet music, this song started on Wednesday with lots of crying. I could barely get through a line or two. It has become a great joy and comfort. It is with a heavy heart that I offer up this marvelous tune in loving memory of my father, Jesse E. Forton (May 13, 1928 - March 4, 2013). I'm glad his suffering has ended and relatively quickly, but boy am I missing him right now. I'm glad I got to tell him many times that I love him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uFeqkEbpCk

Ray, this was lovely. Condolences from the BB household.

Bob

Raygf
03-10-2013, 07:57 AM
Ray, this was lovely. Condolences from the BB household.

Bob

Thank you very much. Just a heads up. I changed location and put up a new video without the refrigerator buzz that was driving me crazy.

Barbablanca
03-10-2013, 08:08 AM
My sympathies coming to you too Ray. I lost my Dad (also in his early 80s) nearly 8 years ago and not a day has gone by when I haven't thought of him or missed him. The pain lessens though and my glances at his photo in my studio everyday have now become more celebratory of the man and less sad.

Nice song, well played BTW....

Raygf
03-10-2013, 08:52 AM
My sympathies coming to you too Ray. I lost my Dad (also in his early 80s) nearly 8 years ago and not a day has gone by when I haven't thought of him or missed him. The pain lessens though and my glances at his photo in my studio everyday have now become more celebratory of the man and less sad.

Nice song, well played BTW....

Many thanks!

chrimess
03-10-2013, 09:13 AM
The song is a beautiful memorial, sincere condolences.
Thank you very much. Just a heads up. I changed location and put up a new video without the refrigerator buzz that was driving me crazy.

ChaosToo
03-10-2013, 09:30 AM

Loved this - it's the song I was going to do but simply couldn't find time to get around to recording. But it's one that I will record at some point, as it's one of the few 'folk' songs that I love - not that I'll be able to do it the same sort of justice as you have! Brilliant!

pabrizzer
03-10-2013, 09:40 AM

Again, a beautifully performed song.
And as you can see you have the kind thoughts and sincere condolences of myself and the Seasonista community.

Raygf
03-10-2013, 10:29 AM
Again, a beautifully performed song.
And as you can see you have the kind thoughts and sincere condolences of myself and the Seasonista community.

Thanks for all of the sincere and heartfelt condolences everyone. Seasonistas Rock!

CountryMouse
03-10-2013, 10:58 AM

So beautiful! And such a wonderful tribute to your father. Major hugs and condolences. Cry when you need to--it helps, it's necessary.

CountryMouse

ukuleledaddy
03-10-2013, 11:29 AM
It's bumming me out not to participate this week. I'm down with a nasty bug. I was going to do Down In Mexico by The Coasters and possibly Jesus Just Left Chicago by ZZ Top, but I nearly passed out. Time to take it easy.
Great stuff going on here this season. I don't always comment but I try to watch as much as I can.

Hippie Dribble
03-10-2013, 11:33 AM

astonishing performance Ray. So sorry to hear of your loss mate.

Hochapeafarm
03-10-2013, 11:45 AM
An absolutely beautiful performance, Ray...I was so very moved watching you play. Your heartstrings were definitely playing your uke strings, for sure, here...my sincerest and deepest condolences to you on the loss of your dear father.

alemarco
03-10-2013, 12:29 PM
Here's my entry for this week: "Poughkeepsie" by Over the Rhine. Poughkeepsie is a city in upstate New York on the Hudson River, but honestly the location/name have little to do with the meaning of the song. Hope that's ok. I really wanted to post this week, but other songs just weren't ready yet...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fCTBMTZfIA

mattydee
03-10-2013, 01:09 PM
Not sure if anyone's thrown this one in the ring yet, but here's my version, anyhow.

http://youtu.be/7Xgm9ofRsog

ukuLily Mars
03-10-2013, 02:23 PM
Here is my entry for this week! I hope y'all enjoy it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL999AqEQ9o&feature=youtu.be

Thanks, Pabrizzer, for a great Season! And thanks to all the Seasonistas for sharing such wonderful performances. I love hanging out with this group.

GinnyT11
03-10-2013, 03:22 PM
Here is my Song.

Drew, this was lovely, as gentle as a lullaby. You sang it very well. I'm glad to see your videos every time they appear—I wish you were able to do one every week.

GinnyT11
03-10-2013, 03:36 PM
[FONT=Helvetica]It is with a heavy heart that I offer up this marvelous tune in loving memory of my father, Jesse E. Forton (May 13, 1928 - March 4, 2013). I'm glad his suffering has ended and relatively quickly, but boy am I missing him right now. I'm glad I got to tell him many times that I love him.

Ray, your father would be very, very proud of you for playing this song in tribute to him. You played it beautifully, and if you wavered on a word or two, you are in the right place to let your heart show. I was moved, as I'm sure many others were. I hope that you'll feel your father's love all your life.

—Ginny

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
03-10-2013, 03:43 PM
My brother-in-law Doug is one of Idaho's best musicians. Many years ago, he and my sister wrote this lovely song about our home town, Twin Falls, Idaho. I never learned to play it until this week. Thanks for the inspiration, pabrizzer and all of this week's Seasonistas!

http://youtu.be/53vyoqHpVKU

ukuloonie
03-10-2013, 04:13 PM
Drew, this was lovely, as gentle as a lullaby. You sang it very well. I'm glad to see your videos every time they appear—I wish you were able to do one every week.
Thanks Ginny.

ksiegel
03-10-2013, 04:19 PM
I'm still playing injured, and while everything has conspired against me this week, I've finally recorded my video!

Thanks, Brian!

This is Lou and Peter Berryman's "Generic State Song", and was kind of hard to do, since it is a duet, and I can't do overdubs or multi-tracking. So I improvised - you'll see.

But the song has EVERY location in the United States in it... at least it does, by proxy...

-Kurt

http://youtu.be/DkLyMC0km-s

ksiegel
03-10-2013, 04:33 PM
Beautiful, Ray.

I spent the day today at the hospital with my father - also born in 1928 - after he tripped and fell, tearing the ligaments in his right shoulder and hitting his head on the ground. Luckily, there is no head injury, but the shoulder is going to be a problem for an active 85-year old.

I know how beat up you feel - it has not been a great week overall here, either, and I've been miserable - but your song made me feel a lot better.

Best wishes to you and your family, and thank you for helping me out.

-Kurt

What a week. My father died early Monday morning and as the week progressed, I have felt worse and worse. I feel pretty beat up at the moment. After reading a post and doing several searches, then finally a purchase of the sheet music, this song started on Wednesday with lots of crying. I could barely get through a line or two. It has become a great joy and comfort. It is with a heavy heart that I offer up this marvelous tune in loving memory of my father, Jesse E. Forton (May 13, 1923 - March 4, 2013). I'm glad his suffering has ended and relatively quickly, but boy am I missing him right now. I'm glad I got to tell him many times that I love him.

J-Peg
03-10-2013, 04:42 PM
Getting this one in just under the wire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-Q5k1rPOJE&feature=youtu.be

lakesideglenn
03-10-2013, 05:37 PM
Well folks, here it is...my first Youtube video and my first entry in the "Seasons" here on UU

A very, very rough take on an old Jimmie Driftwood tune, The Tennessee Stud, learned from an old Doc Watson LP

(RIP Doc, you're probably rollin over in your grave!)

http://youtu.be/cy6MDCx6WS8

ukuloonie
03-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Movie from Lakesideglenn
when you create a post, if you click the little movie film strip icon, next to the speech bubble, you can add the youtube link by posting the youtube address in the space provided.
and it puts the video into the box

lakesideglenn
03-10-2013, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the tip ukuloonie...I'm really new at this!

And by the way, great job by all! Even though this is my first, I've really enjoyed the other great videos over the last couple years!

KoaDependent
03-10-2013, 06:47 PM
Not sure if anyone's thrown this one in the ring yet, but here's my version, anyhow.

That was effin' fantastic!

uke4ia
03-10-2013, 06:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NsJOOVOldA

Sure enough, I didn't get the new song finished this week. But since other people have posted videos with conceptual takes on geography, I'll do that too for this week's bonus track. This is a live version of the last song I did complete, "Tomorrow on the Map", recorded last weekend.

CountryMouse
03-10-2013, 07:22 PM
Well folks, here it is...my first Youtube video and my first entry in the "Seasons" here on UU

A very, very rough take on an old Jimmie Driftwood tune, The Tennessee Stud, learned from an old Doc Watson LP

OOooooo, this is great!!! I love this song, and you did it proud! Welcome to the Seasons! (I'm a fairly new Seasonista and not always faithful) Keep those videos coming! :)

CountryMouse

pabrizzer
03-10-2013, 08:40 PM
Here's my entry for this week: "Poughkeepsie" by Over the Rhine. Poughkeepsie is a city in upstate New York on the Hudson River, but honestly the location/name have little to do with the meaning of the song. Hope that's ok. I really wanted to post this week, but other songs just weren't ready yet...

She was going to but didn't right? Nicely done.

What a showman! A real PERFORMANCE. Good one. I enjoyed the 'non singing' vocals.

Here is my entry for this week! I hope y'all enjoy it!
Thanks, Pabrizzer, for a great Season! And thanks to all the Seasonistas for sharing such wonderful performances. I love hanging out with this group.
Very nice vocals on this song. Great job.

My brother-in-law Doug is one of Idaho's best musicians. Many years ago, he and my sister wrote this lovely song about our home town, Twin Falls, Idaho. I never learned to play it until this week. Thanks for the inspiration, pabrizzer and all of this week's Seasonistas!

Couldn't play or sing along with this one Ralf but I did enjoy listening!

I'm still playing injured, and while everything has conspired against me this week, I've finally recorded my video!

Thanks, Brian!

This is Lou and Peter Berryman's "Generic State Song", and was kind of hard to do, since it is a duet, and I can't do overdubs or multi-tracking. So I improvised - you'll see.

But the song has EVERY location in the United States in it... at least it does, by proxy...

-Kurt

Really enjoyed this one Kurt - had a huge grin the whole song. It came across like a geographical Peter Rabbit.

pabrizzer
03-10-2013, 08:45 PM

Really enjoyed this. You played right through the little glitches which is often the best way - just like you would in a live perfoermance. Great effort for your fist ever YouTube clip. Well done!

Sure enough, I didn't get the new song finished this week. But since other people have posted videos with conceptual takes on geography, I'll do that too for this week's bonus track. This is a live version of the last song I did complete, "Tomorrow on the Map", recorded last weekend.

It's on the map now. Good one.

pabrizzer
03-10-2013, 08:50 PM
Getting this one in just under the wire.

This is a great song and you have done a beaut ukulele version.

thesillydave
03-10-2013, 08:51 PM
a late night entry

http://youtu.be/KSmkx7uGMLk

thanks pa!

thesillydave
03-10-2013, 08:56 PM
a last scratchy vocal cover

http://youtu.be/f93KP5081J8
cheers pa!

peewee
03-10-2013, 09:02 PM
Hi All,

Pabrizzer, what a theme, my only regret is that I was on set all week. This was a 100+ hour workweek, on location. Ironic eh?
Here's a reworking of what was originally an Australian song (http://youtu.be/ZeadSspZDzM), to fit my California Location Scout existence.
Didn't have time to really do it right, and I sure wish I could get to my bonus ideas too.
Anyway, thanks for hosting. I need to catch up on the playlist now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIVOXcybOB8

pabrizzer
03-10-2013, 09:19 PM
a late night entry
thanks pa!

a last scratchy vocal cover
cheers pa!

A couple of pearlers SD. New York was quite a dramatic little effort.

Hi All,

Pabrizzer, what a theme, my only regret is that I was on set all week. This was a 100+ hour workweek, on location. Ironic eh?
Here's a reworking of what was originally an Australian song (http://youtu.be/ZeadSspZDzM), to fit my California Location Scout existence.
Didn't have time to really do it right, and I sure wish I could get to my bonus ideas too.
Anyway, thanks for hosting. I need to catch up on the playlist now!

So glad you did this one! With Australian place names it is an Australian CLASSIC (Done by Lucky Star among others).

You've done such a great job too. Loved it!

pabrizzer
03-10-2013, 09:21 PM
I have added Jamz's entry to the official list.
It met all criteria and he was only worried about the quality of the vid and hasn't reposted yet.

Raygf
03-11-2013, 12:35 AM
I've tried to respond to everyone who commented. If I missed someone it was not intentional. Thank you all.

So beautiful! And such a wonderful tribute to your father. Major hugs and condolences. Cry when you need to--it helps, it's necessary.
CountryMouse

Thanks for the compliments and condolences.

Beautiful, Ray.
I spent the day today at the hospital with my father - also born in 1928 - after he tripped and fell, tearing the ligaments in his right shoulder and hitting his head on the ground. Luckily, there is no head injury, but the shoulder is going to be a problem for an active 85-year old.
I know how beat up you feel - it has not been a great week overall here, either, and I've been miserable - but your song made me feel a lot better.
Best wishes to you and your family, and thank you for helping me out.
-Kurt

So sorry to hear about your Dad's fall. Glad there's no head injury. (Hope I'm still active at 85!) May both of your recoveries be swift and complete. Thanks for your kind words and best wishes to me and my family. They are much appreciated. (Can't believe I screwed up his birth year. Dad was born in 1923. I knew he was coming up on his 90th. I'm usually pretty good with the math stuff. Doh!)

Ray, your father would be very, very proud of you for playing this song in tribute to him. You played it beautifully, and if you wavered on a word or two, you are in the right place to let your heart show. I was moved, as I'm sure many others were. I hope that you'll feel your father's love all your life.

—Ginny
I often took an ukulele and/or guitar when I went to visit Dad and Mom. The funeral is today and then folks will be coming to our house for the wake. My wife has been cooking for several days. She's channeling her grandmother Rose. Two marvelous women. I'm a very lucky man.

The song is a beautiful memorial, sincere condolences.

Thank you.

An absolutely beautiful performance, Ray...I was so very moved watching you play. Your heartstrings were definitely playing your uke strings, for sure, here...my sincerest and deepest condolences to you on the loss of your dear father.

Thank you very much.

pabrizzer
03-11-2013, 01:25 AM
OK The season is over and it is time to let us know your 4 favourite entries for the week.
You don't have to say why (but you are welcome to) just list your favourite 4.
Here are mine - which will count - but no more than yours.

Sin City – Flying Burrito Brothers – 23skidoooooo
Scarborough Fair Bob Bannister
The Upper Peninsula Dewittkower
Un Canadien Errant ukuloonie

Now I know there are no female members here but they are the ones that did it for me this season - especially the last two for the vocals - which I thought were just great.

No you don't have to vote but only those who vote have the chance for those wonderful no expense spared T-shirts.

For those new to the seasons - in my first post there is a PLAYLIST where you can see all the weeks videos.
Please list the SONG and the name you see in the playlist - no probs if you use their UU username as I hope I can sort it out but the song name will help.

I'll close the voting on this THURSDAY at midnight Hawaii time.

THANKS FOR A GREAT SEASON! YOU ARE ALL WINNERS!

Raygf
03-11-2013, 02:39 AM
First, a big thank you to Pabrizzer for another wonderful season. Here are my top 4 in no particular order.

Stars Fell on Alabama - Lily Mars
Istanbul (Not Constantinople) - mikef
The Old Bazaar in Cairo - ukuleledaveey
City of New Orleans - frisbee fred

Cornfield
03-11-2013, 02:54 AM
All the videos and songs were great. Thank you for hosting.

My 4 picks are (in no particular order)
:

pabrizzer
03-11-2013, 06:27 AM
All the videos and songs were great. Thank you for hosting.

My 4 picks are (in no particular order)
:

I get the message but he is only going to get ONE of these votes.

UkeyDave
03-11-2013, 07:43 AM
My 4 votes are for
Austin1
FIL
Raygf
Krabbers

Can I just add, that Austin1 just blew me away with her version of I don't want to live on the moon.
Great Week, Great Seasonistas one and all.
I just LOVE the seasons. Thanks everyone for some FANTASTIC entertainment.
Dave

mikef
03-11-2013, 07:45 AM
Another awesome week, well done every single one of you. I've just had a very entertaining YouTube afternoon and after much deliberation, my top 4 are (again in no particular order... well actually in numerical order of posting... which is a particular order... oh you get the idea)...

Jazzbanjorex - Hasegawa General Store
filipinouker - Manila
Denise Silva - Streets of London
krabbers - 55 Kansas City

Dougf
03-11-2013, 08:40 AM
So many great songs, it was so tough to only choose four, but here are my picks, I really had to split hairs to boil down to this list.

fgyar
PatriciaPDX
BillMo
jazzbanjorex

wallyboy
03-11-2013, 08:41 AM
great week, great entries,
my four in no order,

krabbers....
23skiddo....
ukey dave...
nongam....

decaturcomp
03-11-2013, 09:02 AM
my faves for lots of different reasons but mostly for their SOUL. Only 9 views for J-Peg? If you haven't voted you might want to gander his way first.
XO
alan

ukeydave - Waterloo Sunset
jazzbanjorex - Hasagawa General Store
filipinouker - Manila
Joe Pegel - Walkin' in Memphis

chrimess
03-11-2013, 09:06 AM
Hi Brian,
Thx so much for hosting and allowing me to get a political statement across-here is the votes:

Ukuleledaveey
Austin1
Decaturcomp and the woven pines featuring 23skidoo
Onlyukethatmatters

lennymac
03-11-2013, 09:21 AM
Thoroughly enjoyed this! Here's my votes.

Jazzbanjorex - Hasegawa General Store - lovely vocals!
Fillipinouker - Manila - just beautiful!
23skidooooooo - Sin City - because I just love the Burritos and particularly this song
Krabberscovers - Kansas City - because you did this song at such an unexpected pace which I loved - and the harmonies!

Enjoyed all videos very much!

xommen
03-11-2013, 12:53 PM
In no particular order:

Filipinouker Manila
Bill Mothershed Under the Milky Way Tonight
Bernie Skellig
Bob Bannister Scarborough Fair

Shady Wilbury
03-11-2013, 01:43 PM
Four votes, again in no particular order:

FiL – Snowin’ on Raton
Joko – Fort Worth Blues
Wallyboy – Streets of London
~dave~~wave~ - Gulf Coast Highway

frisbee fred
03-11-2013, 02:08 PM
No fair making us vote publicly. I wanted to be able to say to everyone - "No, really, I voted for you...." :-)

In no order, here are my top 4:

Filipinouker - Manila. How can I not vote for a song that not only has Tagalog lyrics but is translated in the upper left hand corner?
Barbalanka - Skellig Michael. An outstanding original song with great vocals and playing.
Boweewowee - East Bay Nights. I loved the "soul" that came through in this rendition.
Krabbers - Kansas City. One of my favorite songs and a version I have never heard before. Good harmonies too!