need vintage kamaka buying advice

eor

Reaction score
Hi folks

Going to visit friends for a week and while Calling ahead to check out the uke scene I found two vintage kamaka sopranos for sale at $499 each with no other info provided.

If any body has any input I would be grateful since I don't have time to research this as much as I would like

Thx eor

Look for cracks or mold damage. Minor cracks can generally be easily repaired, big cracks are another story. Check the labels as well. Are they white or gold? That helps determine the age of the instrument.

If any of the parts have been replaced with aftermarket (such as tuners) or modified in any way it dramatically lowers their worth.

Aloha,
by vintage you mean white label kamakas...I guess that is the going price up there in Canada....if they had no damage or cracks...play them first before you buy...buy with your ears and
not your eyes nor by name...good Luck and happy strummings..

Thanks a lot gadzukes

Usually researching is a big part of the fun but I have a couple of ukes to research that came up at the last minute and am getting ready for the trip

Ect. Anythig folks say here will help round out the research I have time to do, and perhaps give me some good places to start.

Thx eor

Last edited:
by the way....I got a practically new kamaka late 90's mint for 275.00 deals like that don't come often...in buying if you are patient and look hard
rare deals come along...you have to jump fast though and drop the cash...for sure... good Luck

Aloha,
by vintage you mean white label kamakas... buy with your ears and
not your eyes nor by name...good Luck and happy strummings..

hey stan

thanks for getting back. i had emailed a bunch of times over a harmony johnny marvin and then he said he had 2 vintage kamaka ukes.

I dont know condition, year or label color and am trying to educate myself as much as i can so when i see them in a couple days i am on the ball

in buying if you are patient and look hard
rare deals come along...you have to jump fast though and drop the cash...for sure... good Luck

yes. usually i dont have much of a ukulele budget but am going on a long awaited vacation and have a bit of fun money if i am thrifty in other areas. $499 is abuove my budget so i need to have enough info to be able to haggle. and yes you never know.

thanks once again

Top Bottom