vintage baritone advice needed

eor

Reaction score
Hi folks

Going to visit friends for a week and while Calling ahead to check out the uke scene I found a vintage "No name'" baritone for sale for $75 which is reasonable guess.

When I wrote asking for more info the owner said ,and I quote

" the beater baritone is mostly that wood of the ply tree - mahogany with stain made in Japan years ago"

Seems like a mysterious fella don't he?

Anyway....

Are all no name plywood bari's the same? :)

I dont have time to research this as much as I would like so your feed back on all things plywood baritone would really help.

Thanks eor

I don't know much about plywood baris, but I do know you can get a vintage solid Mahogany harmony Baritone for not much more than $100.

I'd spend a couple extra bucks and buy a harmony if it were me. (Just my 2 cents).

Calling the instrument a "beater" is like a real estate broker calling a house a "fixer." Look out.

It could be great. It could be junk. No way to know until you have it in your hand.

..................you can get a vintage solid Mahogany harmony Baritone for not much more than $100.
I'd spend a couple extra bucks and buy a harmony if it were me. (Just my 2 cents).

hey

i live in the sticks an never get a chance on vintage ukes let alone the chance to try one. this one i will be trying in person. I would also prefer a nice solid harmony bari but i dont ebay.

thx

Hi eor,

Have you seen this thread for the baritone deals currently from Butler Music?

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...aritone-Bargains/page3&highlight=butler+music
thx

hey

thanks i have

i wasnt worried about the price so much as the plywood bari just happened into the picture. because i will be on vacation ill be able to save shipping,tax,duty ect and i will be able to try it and uke shop on vacation like normal people. i am more iterested in an old/vintage bari right now than a new one.

thx

Calling the instrument a "beater" is like a real estate broker calling a house a "fixer." Look out.

It could be great. It could be junk. No way to know until you have it in your hand.

i know, hence trying to get a feel for the plwood bari world in general.

thanks

eor

...trying to get a feel for the plwood bari world in general...

Plywood is the same as laminate, right?
Cheap ukes, baritones or otherwise, are laminate.
Nothing wrong with that per se.
I have a laminate baritone Kala that's sounds almost as good as my vintage solid mahogany Harmony.

If you like how the uke plays and sounds, offer him $40 and start dickering. ;)

Cheap ukes, baritones or otherwise, are laminate.
Nothing wrong with that per se.
If you like how the uke plays and sounds, offer him $40 and start dickering. ;)

hey

shortly after getting into the uke world i found a plastic toy uke at an antique store for $2. it was a cool little toy plastic soprano uke in really nice clean , all in one peice shape. it was down stairs sitting on top of an old musty dresser in the old moldy dresser sect of the basement

i had no huge interest in toy ukes since i was looking for wood working stuff and real ukes.

still it was cool and i came so close to getting it it wasnt funny and actually was planning to but forgot it down stairs and was in to much of a hurry to go back down for a plastic novelty uke.
a couple of months later i learned that a fella named macaferri had made the little uke and when i went back it was gone.

so yeah a plywood bari

thanks for the help

eor

Plywood could be nice enough. If it's a Rogue or a Savannah brand it could be pretty cool, but cheaper online. Some cheapos are made of what the manufacturers call "white wood" - which is probably plywood.

Top Bottom