Video of Difft Glues and what some luthiers think of them

Robbie's videos are good. One caution, though, re. fish glue...it's hygroscopic and can fail in high humidity environments. The best and most moisture resistant of the fish glues is isinglass ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isinglass ) which you can get from Kremer Pigments in New York http://kremerpigments.com/ This is the type of glue that the Mongols used in laminating their archery bows. Hmm, got to cook up another batch!

A funny addendum: My good friend Paul Hostetter (a fantastic luthier in his own right) told me that when Paul Reed Smith was trying to unravel "the secret" of early Les Paul Gibsons, he did some glue experiments and realized that the classic ones had the maple tops laminated to the mahogany with HHG...which was the main glue of the early and mid 1950's. Paul then experimented and decided that a good epoxy was the equivalent...not Titebond.

A funny addendum: My good friend Paul Hostetter (a fantastic luthier in his own right) told me that when Paul Reed Smith was trying to unravel "the secret" of early Les Paul Gibsons, he did some glue experiments and realized that the classic ones had the maple tops laminated to the mahogany with HHG...which was the main glue of the early and mid 1950's. Paul then experimented and decided that a good epoxy was the equivalent...not Titebond.

I would have thought that a big bubbling batch of HHG would have been easier in all ways then a big batch of epoxy for electric caps.

All this glue stuff, reminds me of when I was in the "Oil rig construction business" a senior welding expert told me that "welding" was the most important part of construction...His actual words were "This is what it's F******* all about......And it's true :)

Paul Reed Smith is quoted in the video. I like this video because people have their preferences but no one can prove one is better than the other...I think I read a thread before somewhere

Last edited:
Preferences based on extensive experience do count for a lot in my book.

And Paul is...well, "oblique" in his public utterances. The "tests" were done, as I understand it, with the help of Dana Bourgeois, and frankly, I'd not expect PRS to be totally forthcoming in the same way as T. J. Thompson or Sr. Romanillos. Paul plays his cards close to the chest, as it is said, and he doesn't reveal all in quite the way we here are used to. If he feels that he has a "secret" that gives him an edge, he's going to keep it that way.

BTW, I think quite highly of his electric guitars. They're damned good. Just don't go thinking he's going to tell you all about how they're made.

To quote Ervin Somogyi,

I find that there are four rules for professional success which, coincidentally, are the same as the four rules for domestic success, no matter where you are or what you do. First, try to find the humor and the good in everything you do. Second, be prepared to work hard at it, at least some of the time. Third, never reveal everything you know.

Top Bottom