New To Me Collings UT2K Tenor Uke

uburoibob

Reaction score
Hi All,

I just picked up this used UT2K Tenor. Sounds great and plays incredibly well.

It's serial number 308 - any idea of how I'd date it?

Also, it's pictured in the case it came with. Is this an original Collings case for the year of this instrument?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Here are the photos:

CollingsUT2K_2.JPG

CollingsUT2K_1.JPG

CollingsUT2K_3.JPG

CollingsUT2K_4.JPG

If you'll send a short note to Collings with the serial number they will be happy to reply with all of the pertinent information (date completed and build information). And yes, being one of the newer Colling's ukuleles, your case appears to be the correct (current) case based on the photo. The older Collings cases have a black inner lining (as mine does, #135) and then about 2 years ago they switched to the exact cream-colored lining shown in your photo. I assume your case has the small oval Collings medallion located to the left the handle? (Can't see it in the photo.)

I wish you the best with the new Collings! It is absolutely beautiful and I'm sure it will provide many, many years of playing enjoyment.

Thank you Hobblecreek. I am loving this ukulele! The case doesn't have the Collings badge on it. But I am glad to know it is the proper case and it seems you have helped narrow down the year to being in the last two or so. Thank you for the help!

Bob

Collings has built over a 1000 ukes (mine is 1008), finished in Nov/Dec 2012.

Well, it could have been 3 years ago (or more) when they switched the case color linings -- after all, they are now into the #1000's of production (as above). Years don't seem to move at the same pace as they did when I was younger and I could be way off! Anyway, go to Collings' website and click on "Contact" and then click on the customer service link in the first paragraph. They can tell you the right specifics.

I hear you about years and the speed at which they pass. On the day after you're born, one day is half your life. The next day is 1/3 of your life. By the time you are 58.5 years old (as I am), one day is 1/21,352 of your life. So, the perception that the days are going faster is created by each day being a smaller part of your life...

I will drop Collings a note. Perhaps they will add a Uke and electric guitar serial number chart to their web page.

Still in honeymoon phase, but am loving this!

Bob

I hear you about years and the speed at which they pass. On the day after you're born, one day is half your life. The next day is 1/3 of your life. By the time you are 58.5 years old (as I am), one day is 1/21,352 of your life. So, the perception that the days are going faster is created by each day being a smaller part of your life...

I will drop Collings a note. Perhaps they will add a Uke and electric guitar serial number chart to their web page.

Still in honeymoon phase, but am loving this!

Bob

Are you a guitar player? You are going for the guitar brand ukes w/ Larrivee & Collings. Get a Martin, Godin, Taylor and a few more!!

Your Collings looks sweet!

That's a nice one. What's the date on the case tag. That will give you a pretty good idea. I have #643 and #943. I think that 643 was made in 2010. 943 in 2012.

I have #800 UT-2K purchased in February 2012 at Mass Street Music in Kansas. I actually have Martin fluorocarbons on it, tuned to Bb and it sounds sweet!

Enjoy your new uke. It seems like I've seen a lot of these models lately. In fact there's a brand new one at Mass Street Music - they waited over a year for that one. Up close it has a similar grain pattern as yours.

http://www.massstreetmusic.com/store/show_item/6156-Collings-UT-2K-Koa-Tenor-Uke#.UTPSnDCR-8A

Don

I have #800 UT-2K purchased in February 2012 at Mass Street Music in Kansas. I actually have Martin fluorocarbons on it, tuned to Bb and it sounds sweet!

Enjoy your new uke. It seems like I've seen a lot of these models lately. In fact there's a brand new one at Mass Street Music - they waited over a year for that one. Up close it has a similar grain pattern as yours.

http://www.massstreetmusic.com/store/show_item/6156-Collings-UT-2K-Koa-Tenor-Uke#.UTPSnDCR-8A

Don

Sorry to be so late getting back... I, too, tune mine to Bb. It really brings out the sound of the instrument - rich and crisp, all at once. Still love this ukulele...

Bob

Top Bottom