transition chords

Whitey

Reaction score
Hi - I want to reformat Chattanooga Choo Choo by inserting an instrumental section comprising the first two verses, after the last verse. Trouble is the first two verses start in C, while the last verse starts and ends with Bb. I've put in three extra beats on the last Bb "Bb home ///" and then used Eb/ F/ to take me to the top of the song for a C on "Pardon me boy..." I don't like this particularly but it's the only transition I've worked out. Any improvements or standard methods I should use to go from Bb to C???

G D7 C GPardon me boy is this the Chattanooga Choo ChooD7 A7 GTrack twenty nine boy you can give me a shine D7 C GI can afford to board the Chattanooga Choo Choo A7 Em A7 GI've got my fare and just a trifle to spare C G7 CYou leave the Pennsylvania Station bout a quarter to four G7 C G7Read a magazine and then you're in BaltimoreF D7 C FDinner in the diner nothing could be finer D7 Am G7Than to have your ham and eggs in Carolina C G7 C G7When you hear the whistle blowing eight to the barC G7 C G7Then you know that Tennessee is not very farC D7 C A7Shovel all the coal in gotta keep a rolling G7 CWoo woo Chattanooga there you are G G7 C GThere's gonna be a certain party at the station A7 D7 GSatin and lace I used to call funny face G7 CShe's gonna cry until I tell her that I'll never roam G Em C D7 GSo Chattanooga choo choo won't you choo-choo me home Em C D7 GChattanooga choo choo won't you choo-choo me home

Last edited:
D Gdim Fdim(III) D A7 G/B A7 G D
Par - don me, boy, is that the Chattanooga choo choo?

D6 D B7 E7 Bm7-5 E7
Track twen - ty - nine -

Bm7-5 E7 A7 D G D
Boy, you can give me a shine.

D Gdim Fdim(III) D A7 G/B A7 G D
I can af - ford to board a Chattanooga choo choo --

D6 D B7 E7 Bm7-5 E7 Bm7-5 E7 A7 D G D
I've got my fare and just a trifle to spare.

D DM7 D7 G D7 G D7 G
You leave the Pennsylvania Station 'bout a quarter to four,

G D7 G D7 G
Read a magazine and then you're in Baltimore;

C A7 G E7
Dinner in the diner, nothing could be finer

A7 Em7 A7 Em7 Am7 D7
Than to have your ham an' eggs in Carolina.

G D7 G D7 G
When you hear the whistle blowin' eight to the bar,

G D7 G D7 G
Then you know that Tennessee is not very far.

C C/B A7 G G/F# E7
Shovel all the coal in, gotta keep it rollin' --

Am7 D7 Am7 D7 G G7
Woo, woo, Chattanooga there you are.

C Dm7 C C7 F Fdim C
There's gonna be a certain party at the sta - tion,

Dm7 Am7 D7 Am7 D7 Dm7 G7 C
Satin and lace, I used to call "funny face."

C Dm7 C C7 F Fm
She's gonna cry until I tell her that I'll never roam.

Bb9 C G/B Am7 F G C C/B A7
So Chattanooga choo choo, won't you choo-choo me home?

C G/B Am7 F G C F C
Chattanooga choo choo, won't you choo-choo me home?

Basically you're doing a key change - one thing that always works for a key change is to go around the circle of fifths (it's by no means the only way, nor always the best way, and in some cases can be kind of a long trip, but you never have to worry about it sounding like you crashed and burned).

So, from Bb to C: Bb -> F -> C

That's close to what you're doing now, so I'd see if maybe the Eb is the problem (it is the 4 of the Bb but the flat 3rd of the C). Otherwise, it might just be a matter of picking a rhtyhmic line through the changes.

Also, those are chord changes I outlined, not just notes. Technically notes will often work but I find that chords more firmly plant the fact that a key change is happening and you're not just borrowing a couple of chromatic notes. If you're picking a run you may want to arpeggiate through the Bb and F chords into the C.

John

Or you could go Bb > F > G7 > C. The other way around is C > G > F7 > Bb.

From C, try C7 to F7 to Bb. Or, this sounds sweet to my ears, try C to G7 to C7 to F7 to Bb. Circle of fifths... works every time.

Oops, I got it backwards. Bb to D7 to G7 to C. that's sweet.

Last edited:
Chattanooga choo choo

Thanks all of you for your insights/suggestions. I finished up taking a leaf out of the end verse, where a G7 is used to transition to the Eb for the repeat of the last phrase. Using four beats on the last Bb I mentioned yesterday, and then using another four beats on a G7, leads very smoothly and simply to C, and it all starts over once again! Thanks - great responses to my first U/underground query.

Top Bottom