For Sale: Bruce Wei Solid Acacia Koa Cutaway Tenor w/ Inlaid Fretboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

stormcarver

Reaction score
Bruce Wei handmade solid Acacia Koa cutaway tenor ukulele for sale. Please read all information.

Top, back and sides: Solid Acacia Koa
Fingerboard: Rosewood
Bridge: Ebony
Neck: Mahogany
Custom Mother of Pearl inlaid fret markers
Nut: Buffalo Bone
Saddle: Bone (Replaced by me for added height as action was incredibly low. Original buffalo saddle available upon request although no sound difference is apparent as replacement is also bone.)
Closed mechanical tuners
20 total frets with 14 clear of body

WeiAngle.jpg WeiBody.jpgWeiFret.jpg WeiTenor.jpg

Have owned this uke since September 2012. Mahogany neck was apparently air dried in a tropical environment and quickly backbowed from 6-7 fret, producing a jangling tone in the first and second frets. Have consulted two local luthiers. The first, who works primarily on guitars, would remove the fretboard, shave down the lower frets and put a truss rod in the neck at a price of $235.00. The second, who works on ukes and violins/violas, would either shave down the lower frets, or shim the higher frets, or replace the neck entirely ($250.00, or dependent upon the price of the replacement + $170.00 labor). Both agree that the fretboard should be no issue to remove and replace without harming the inlay.

The uke has a beautiful sound, and the body and inlaid fretboard are in perfect condition. I just have a profound feeling of disappointment surrounding this instrument and would rather let it go to someone who begins knowing the issue and is prepared to face and correct it.

(Please forgive the video. I'm not accustomed to playing in front of a camera.)

Asking $165.00 plus $25.00 flatrate USPS shipping, fully padded, anywhere in the continuous 48 states, or at the mercy of the USPS anywhere else. Upgraded shipping upon request and again at the mercy of the USPS. Would consider best offer in this case as well as I'd rather see this one in a good home than hanging on the wall or living in a box.

Additional pictures and any further information I can provide upon request.

Appreciate it! They'll be available to speak with tomorrow. Will at least see what they say it will take to fix it and approximate cost. It may involve emailing of pictures.

Spoke with the gentleman briefly today - while he was out at the lake. He seemed to think the luthiers here are crazy with the amount of work they thought was required.

Will leave this up and update as information comes in.

Yeah, the sand bass are running right now here, not surprised he was at the lake.

Going to close this thread for now, until I can get more info on repair. Would rather sell have it repaired then decide what to do with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom