New strings

RJAAY

Reaction score
Well I'm buying new strings for my Tenor,
and i was wondering what the diffrence were between gauges?
Is it the thicker, the deeper the sound?
And would thick ones sound better?

oh yeah and uhm Aquila, or D'addaroi?

Try using the search feature, there are tons of discussions on strings. It might help if you shared what uke you are re-stringing, what strings you are currently using, and what type of sound you are desiring. Oh yeah, and what tuning (i.e. re-entrant with high G or a wound low G).

Well....
My Ukulele is different than yours, even if it is the same it's not, the wood grain is different (yes it does make a difference, Yesterday I was playing 2 Koaloha Sopranos and they were SO different you would have thought they were not the same brand/size) the amount of glue used is different and so on....

My ears are different than yours (to many years of LOUD punk).

My fingers feel things different than yours.

My point is that I can't tell anyone what strings they are going to like, I like Aquilla's on some Uke's but not on others and the same goes for D'Addario's,(some folks don't like the Green pac D'Addario Uke strings but on 1 of my Kala KA-S Sopranos I like them but so far on nothing else), GHS sound cheep to me but I guess some like them and the list goes on...

What you need to do is get a set of each brand of strings and play around till YOU find the strings YOU like.

Good Luck on the string search !!!!

Best is what works for you. Some like 'em and some don't, the same can be said for all the other strings often mentioned on UU (Aquila, Ko'olau, Worth, GHS, Hilo, Blackline, etc.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the thicker strings need more tension to get to tune. I once tried what looked like thicker gauge strings and I was getting scared tuning it up to pitch.. it held but I hoped the bridge wouldnt fly off. :D

Top Bottom