What kind of hygrometer do you use?

mikelz777

Reaction score
I'm anticipating getting a solid wood ukulele some time in the future and was wondering what kind of hygrometer members here are using in their cases. Is it analog or digital? Where do you have yours placed or mounted? Would a cheapie hygrometer used in cigar humidors be sufficient or not worth the bother?

I use a planet waves..i keep it in the room that I practice in..it was about 30.00 from elderly..works fine

I have a couple of Oasis digital hygrometers. I clip them to the storage compartment lid. I've tested them against each other and two additional hygrometers for accuracy. They are pretty good. If it were up to me, I wouldn't trust I cheap one However, if you can test it against a quality hygrometer, you might be okay. I've heard that some people use them, or they came installed in some cases, Guardians and Kalas I think. Anyway, what people have done is to compare the cheap one to a good one and mark the dial of the cheap one to align it with the good one. For example, if the dial on the cheapie is reading 58% and the good one is reading 50%, they put a mark at 58% on the cheapie to indicate 50%, if that makes sense. But, all of that said, why not just get a decent one. I know they cost some dough, but they are worth it.

I use this Oasis Hygrometer.

http://www.amazon.com/Oasis-OH-2-Digital-Hygrometer-clip/dp/B0018A21QC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362462316&sr=8-1&keywords=oasis+hygrometer

attachment.php
\

I got a multi-purpose one in a local hardware store. It displays the Time, Temperature and Humidity (you can choose which one to show in BIG letters :) )

I keep most of my instruments on display, so I was more concerned about the humidity in the room, in general. Luckily, despite central heating, it appears to vary between about 45-55% - which I understand is pretty good going. Today it's really wet weather outside (not normal for Catalonia) and the humidity indicator is showing 58% and 19ºC in the room (heating only on at night and first thing in the morning.)

I have a bunch of the cheap digital ones ( on eBay for about $2.99 if I remember right), they are very small about 1"x 2" and about 3/8" thick so they fit easily in the cases. I got a good analog one that's easy to calibrate and compare the cheapies to it, and put a little correction sticker on them. It works well for me since I have a bunch of guitars, mandolins and ukes and live up here in the high desert, and I'm cheap! :)(Thrifty!)

Last edited:
I asked about hygrometers in a local cigar shop and ended up with this one (the round version). They used it in all their display cases to protect their entire inventory, so I figured it would be good enough for my purposes. I've used it for 2 winters along with a homemade humidifier, and it seems to be doing the job for my solid mahogany uke. I only have one ukulele, so the $20 investment didn't break the bank.

I use Western Caliber III for ukes, guitars and cigars. Tops in my book.

Top Bottom