Minor restoration needed? or no need, not yet??

dakamaainahaole

Reaction score
My Kanile'a got pinched between the wall and a sliding door. Here's the 2 clearest pics i could get of them... both on the edges/binding area. Worth trying to restore or not yet? Doesnt/Hasnt seemed to effect the sound at all, but i'm wondering if i should put a TINY bit a clear coat on it to ensure any crackage is sealed. Advice, opinions for my baby??? (seems to be MOSTLY cosmetic, i dont think the overall structural integrity has been compromised.)

photo (1).jpgphoto.jpg

If the finish is lifting you can let thin superglue wick into the crack to stop it. Then you can build up the surface by carefully applying thicker superglue.

There's a great tutorial, but I couldn't find it. Check this out and look for similar info from Dan Erlewine.

And I love it when you guys use the term Structural integrity. It's so Star Trek.

http://youtu.be/rTVScFJoe24

try to live with it if you can..stuff bound to happen..but all up to you..i live on Oahu so if had to have it done..i don't live too far from Kanile'a..but from Texas maybe not worth the trouble..

Looks like just a ding in the finish, I'd leave it alone. Just make up a better story how it happened

Looks like just a ding in the finish, I'd leave it alone. Just make up a better story how it happened
:agree:

The fortified narrative is critical! And a great opportunity! May I suggest something having to do with stopping a crime in progress in heroic (but humble) fashion armed with nothing but a uke?

Da first one always hurts. I get plenne dings on my GString 6, but still sound good (gotta change da strings)

I'd go with the suggested superglue fix. You do NOT want that finish lifting. It's polyester (pay no attention to the issue of whether it's UV or catalyst cured...there's no difference in the final product), and polyester is best fixed as described.

If the finish is lifting you can let thin superglue wick into the crack to stop it. Then you can build up the surface by carefully applying thicker superglue.

There's a great tutorial, but I couldn't find it. Check this out and look for similar info from Dan Erlewine.

And I love it when you guys use the term Structural integrity. It's so Star Trek.

http://youtu.be/rTVScFJoe24

thanks for the link..I might let a good luthier do this for me though..looks like it takes practice and know how

... you can let thin superglue wick into the crack to stop it. ...

And I love it when you guys use the term Structural integrity. It's so Star Trek. ...

Shoot, i'll try it... i guess in the back of my head i was expecting an answer like this. And to Star Treky, yeah, smart ya? lol i learned phrases like from my last job. Oh n ya interesting video...

BTW, so my story for the fellas is "what happened was i was at a bar... all i had was the clothes on my back, a pair of slippas, and my uke. bar tender asked me if i could play that lil thing... i said sure, i play a lil, for fun. He asks me to play a lil tune as the jukebox was out of order. In the background i didnt notice that two supermodels had just entered the bar. I started playing 'Darcie's Lullaby' by Kapena, when he was with Island Rhythms. By the time i had finished the song, the two love-stricken supermodels (with hotness beyond belief) were on the barstools to either side of me. I thought it'd be funny to ask with whom am i going home with tonight and BOOM, they went at each other with my uke caught in the middle of the turmoil... and then i took em both home :cool:

For the ladies, i'll go with "i was walking the block one day... all i had was the clothes on my back, a pair of slippas, and my uke. I noticed a small kitten stuck in a tree. Just as i was reaching up to help it down, meteors came crashing through the atmosphere in the kitten's direction. Using my in-the-moment super-strength i knocked away all meteor fragments... then two more at the same time came down. Using the only weapon i had, my uke was thrust into the air, blocking the meteorites and saving the kitten's life. The dings are evidence of this."

Naturally the ladies this story would be intended for would be blonde :rock: I was gonna go with simpler stories but NAAAA, NO CAN! hahaha

so i stopped by a small uke store near me, and showed the owner the dings and asked what she thought and whether she knew what she was talking about or not it got me thinking... she basically said i do NOT want to attempt to seal it with anything unless it was being done by unko Souza (or anybody else within the Kanile'a fam) BECAUSE whatever i use COULD react with the UV finish on the uke. I know brother Rick up above mentioned it's polyester...

Does anybody have any knowledge or insight on this???

Top Bottom