Ukuleles in the office

Mattyukaholic

Reaction score
Does anyone else have a ukulele at work? I'm a librarian and have a little office of my own (though people use it as a corridor.) I've got a horrible little toy ukulele used for children's story-time and am thinking of buying a proper one to have at work. Maybe another mainland. Is this really extravagant?? :rolleyes:

I have to admit, there is a little part of me also that wants another ukulele, but if I get one for home my fiancee might never marry me!

not extravagant at all mate. Especially if you're playing it at work, you want to sound your best for when those folks trot through your corridor! But you're a librarian, aren't you s'posed to be quiet bro?I had a librarian at school called Mr Shush and he never would have let you through the door with a uke in hand ..he he :eek:ld:

If the boss is okay with it, then go for it. I'd watch the humidity levels, most libraries are pretty dry, in my experience. Or you could get a Flea/Fluke. One of those would go over well at storytime, too. And is less likely to get destroyed accidentally by customers/coworkers.. etc.

Haha!! The times they are a changin'. I play ukulele at storytimes and the kids love it. I've come up with tunes to go along with Bear Hunt and the book 'pants!' (which means something else in the uk :) )

I normally just use a mahalo for that though as many a toddler has picked it up and smashed it against one thing or another.

Flea/Fluke sounds like a good call. It is pretty dry in here. I could just bring a ukulele in from home of course, but that would take away a good excuse to buy a new one ;) UAS!!!!!

It sounds like a fabulous excuse to order a new ukulele today!

I'm self employed and keep my Mainland concert in my office for downtime and emergencies. I'm not yet sure if it is a good idea because that down time really isn't supposed to be downtime!

I work in a sales office and I started bringing my ukulele to work and play at lunch. We now have a group playing together and have inspired others to get involved with music.
Ed

I have an office at the university where I teach. I keep an Eleuke Peanut there, as well as two pennywhistles and a roll-up keyboard. I'm also going to take my smiley-face Mahalo to class later this week, not to play but to demonstrate the significance and power of the icon. Ukuleles can be useful in all sorts of ways.

I take one (sometimes two) of my ukes to work. I get to play a little on my break. So far, two colleagues have bought ukes after seeing mine, and my regular workmate is looking to get one too!

I'm self employed and keep my Mainland concert in my office for downtime and emergencies. I'm not yet sure if it is a good idea because that down time really isn't supposed to be downtime!

Yup, gotta have one for those 'ukulele emergencies!:music:

Sounds like a Flea or a Fluke would be perfect. They are likely to survive being dropped (or worse), and you don't need a stand. And they're plenty cute! They sound good and they are loud... which could be useful.

kids really really dig the bridge on a dolphin. and get a bright color like yellow, blue or pink burst. IMHO a flea/fluke is still too nice to just leave at work.

I keep a laminate at work.

I usually keep a Fluke at work, though also bring another uke most days (often because I'm taking it to a rehearsal after work). About a month ago the Fluke's fretboard started separating from the neck and I haven't had a chance to repair it, so I've been bringing in a uke every day. I have my own office with a door, and I almost always play during my lunch hour.

- FiL

My office uke, a Mahalo-caster, in its current environment

For some reason, it never occured to me that a uke in the office is odd, but I would never think it OK to bring in a guitar or an accordian or a tuba or a piano or a trumpet or bongos or an upright bass of a banjo or a violin or a saxophone or tympani or bagpipes or a pipe organ or a calrinet or ...

Attachments

• Mahalo POS-sb.jpg
    Mahalo POS-sb.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I had one at work but had to take it home because I could not stop playing it.

A Kiwaya KS1 (laminate), a Martin OXK (laminate), a Flea, a Dolphin--would all be great to leave at work!

I keep my dolphin in my storage locker at work. Oddly, I often miss it, as it is sturdy enough and cheap enough to carry around when I am out and about. Especially in the cold we have had lately.

Top Bottom