Southcoast vs Aquila

Paul December

Reaction score
My mahogany concert Mainland is in need of new strings.
Presently it is strung with Aquilas, and I quite like its sound. I have Southcoasts on my Barry, and really like them, so thought I'd give them a try on the concert. Can anyone comment on the concert length's loudness relative to Aquila? I wouldn't be willing to change if they are any quieter.

... I have Southcoasts on my Barry, and really like them, so thought I'd give them a try on the concert. Can anyone comment on the concert length's loudness relative to Aquila? I wouldn't be willing to change if they are any quieter.

I can comment on that one!

It's likely our standard Mediums will give you the best volume with our sets if you're tuning your Concert to high reentrant C. That doesn't mean the standard Mediums would be our best set for everyone, but given your parameters they would seem to be the way to go. They give excellent volume - a good strong set - but still, I wouldn't say they have the volume of Aquilas.

I think they will have better balance - string to string - as far as tone. The diameters will be a bit less, most notably on the inside strings, and so those diameters are more even. Finally I think you'd likely find the sound a little clearer as well.

Aquila (nylguts) give a more traditional sound, with a lot of difference in tone between the low and high notes. That's what they were designed for, as gut has similar properties. Most of all, however, if volume is the main thing you're looking for, then you've got what you need already.

Last edited:
Try the Southcoasts. You won't be sorry.

+1

I made the switch to Southcoast Mediums on my Mainland mahogany concert and couldn't be more pleased with them. I describe the sound as less brash.

Now I'm trying to decide what should replace the Aquilas on a cedar/rosewood pineapple long neck soprano.

+10

I think you'll like the consistency all the way up the neck. I find Aquila's really puny when you're playing up beyond fret 5. I have never been displeased in replacing Aquila's with SC's.

I think most people would choose tone over volume unless you have an overly built uke that is so soft.

Now I'm trying to decide what should replace the Aquilas on a cedar/rosewood pineapple long neck soprano.

I want to know this too! Had the original Aquilas, a set of Savarez that were given to me that made it sound like a banjo, now Living Waters which I like but not quite. I think I'm going to try Worth Browns to give it a little more "depth"... anyone else tried these?

I want to know this too! Had the original Aquilas, a set of Savarez that were given to me that made it sound like a banjo, now Living Waters which I like but not quite. I think I'm going to try Worth Browns to give it a little more "depth"... anyone else tried these?

I had a cedar Mainland soprano and it sounded like a banjo-y with every set of strings I tried.
While I love cedar on larger-bodied ukes, I'm starting to believe it isn't a good wood for smaller bodies :(

I know it is unpopular to say it here, but...
...I am a firm believer in: Louder = Better :)

There are times when that can be true. Imagine you're in a noisy bar, playing into a mic because your uke has no pickup. Trust me, volume is what you pray for. Been there.

Anyway, tone is subjective. What is "good" to one person may not impress another. Louder is louder no matter what one's opinion of tone! :D

Anyway, tone is subjective. What is "good" to one person may not impress another. Louder is louder no matter what one's opinion of tone! :D

So true. For example I love the banjoey sound of my cedar soprano.
I also like aquilas. Hmmmm maybe I just have no taste...

I know Dirk & co won't recommend it, but I put SC heavy gauge on a cheap soprano, and that sounded incredible. The string tension, however, was scary. I have no experience with concert ukes, but there are probably good SC strings for them too. Not to mention the excellent customer service.

I know Dirk & co won't recommend it, but I put SC heavy gauge on a cheap soprano, and that sounded incredible. The string tension, however, was scary. I have no experience with concert ukes, but there are probably good SC strings for them too. Not to mention the excellent customer service.

Heh, heh. I use the Seaguar equivalent of Worth clear heavies on my Mainland soprano and that thing stands up and kicks some serious backside. So far (going on 9 or 10 months, I guess) no issues with the bridge, neck, or top. Of course, I like some string tension - otherwise my fingers get all tangled up in those floppy soprano strings!

John

Unless you are a lousy player in a bar, then quieter is better and you just look cool playing! :cool:

There are times when that can be true. Imagine you're in a noisy bar, playing into a mic because your uke has no pickup. Trust me, volume is what you pray for. Been there.

Top Bottom