PDA

View Full Version : How many here have started with a Makala Dolphin or own one?

Uke Republic
03-05-2013, 08:43 AM
We see a lot go out our doors. For some I know it's their first ukulele and for others it;s another addition to the pod.

dnewton2
03-05-2013, 08:46 AM
Was not my first nor do I own one.

Thought I would be different since there will be a lot of "I have one"

bildio
03-05-2013, 08:48 AM
Not my first uke, but my first soprano. Very nice uke from UR.

BigSkyUkuleleGirl
03-05-2013, 08:48 AM
It wasn't my first but I got a black one last summer. I wanted a small travel uke and this one is nice.

My only problem is that I want one in each color......

Uke Republic
03-05-2013, 08:53 AM
:) :) :) As if playing ukulele wasn't different enough
Was not my first nor do I own one.

Thought I would be different since there will be a lot of "I have one"

Skitzic
03-05-2013, 08:57 AM
I have 2. I keep one on hand to play in the pool/at the beach, and one that isn't covered in sun block to play at parties. I've bought a bunch to give to teenagers.

ETA And no, it wasn't my first uke.

Freeda
03-05-2013, 08:59 AM
Don't have one, never had.

glass
03-05-2013, 09:00 AM
I dont have one but always am thinking of getting one to have to travel to the beach with...

aquadan
03-05-2013, 09:09 AM
I keep thinking I should get one to take to the beach, then remember there's no beach to take it to. Maybe one to take on day hikes in the mountains if I stumble across one (probably would have to be red burst). Saw a blue sparkly one in a music store last weekend, but it didn't sing to me.

Bob Bledsoe
03-05-2013, 09:16 AM
The uke I started learning on was a dolphin. It belonged to my 2 year old nephew... So I started on a dolphin but have never owned one.

pootsie
03-05-2013, 09:25 AM
Started with a blue burst.

So has my daughter ;)

bnolsen
03-05-2013, 09:26 AM
The dolphin was my second ukulele. The first was a really cheap mahalo. I got the dolphin from you (uke republic) but I still had to do a full action setup job on it myself. The mahalo was much better set up out of the box, just had to sand the nut down a bit (practice before doing the dolphin).

It's not a bad ukulele atall. My daughter has taken up ownership of this one (my son claimed the mahalo). It's a bit muted for my taste, I haven't changed the strings out from the original aquilas. And I prefer the flat fretboard on the mahalo to the rounded one on the dolpin.

Btw, anyone have strings *other* than acquilas they like on the dolphin?

Uke Republic
03-05-2013, 09:32 AM
That is too cute! I rarely say too cute :)
Started with a blue burst.

So has my daughter ;)

kenikas
I bought 2 (1 red burst, 1 purple) for my grand kids at the same time I bought my first, an MK-T. And have since bought 3 more (1 pink, 1 yellow & 1 black sparkle) for the next 3 grand kids, and they were so much fun I had to get myself a blue sparkle. I'm planning on another for the 1 yr old when she gets big enough!

MisterRios
As you well know, I got an orange one at the end of February as we were visiting various sets of relatives during the month of February. My brother in law said it played like a dream. And it was true, it was really nicely set up. And while I liked the sound, I couldn't wait to get back to my usual ukes.

I gave it to my niece on the last leg of the trip, though since we had the maximum amount of luggage you can have when traveling with an infant, I really couldn't bring it back.

pootsie
03-05-2013, 09:35 AM
That is too cute! I rarely say too cute :)
She gets it from me. The ukulele, that is. Her looks are a different question.

I gave it to my niece on the last leg of the trip, though since we had the maximum amount of luggage you can have when traveling with an infant, I really couldn't bring it back.
You, sir, are awesome

mds725
03-05-2013, 09:40 AM
I have a few Dolphins that I've acquired for the purpose of giving them away. I've kept the first one I bought, a yellow sunburst, for sentimental reasons and to have an inexpensive soprano on hand in case the need for one comes up. I also have a plastic yellow Mahalo "smiley face" soprano.

vanflynn
03-05-2013, 09:46 AM
Not my first uke, but my Yellow dolphin is basically on permanent loan to a 10 yr old. I get to see both of them every month or so when a small group of us get together to play (and eat and talk and....)

Pundabaya
03-05-2013, 09:51 AM
I had one. Gave it away to my friends five year-old, cos I wasn't playing it. She loves it!

Dwjkerr
03-05-2013, 09:51 AM
I started with an Evergreen. They don't sell makalas where I live and haven't got up the nerve to shop online. So - no - I don't have one.

Doc_J
03-05-2013, 10:40 AM
Don't have one, never had.

+1 on that.

Ben_H
03-05-2013, 10:54 AM
I started on a black doplphin. My wife fell over and landed on it. I still haven't fixed it. :(

I bought a sunburst blue one as a replacemtn travel uke. It's intonation is not as good as the first. I have loaned it to a friend who now has it as his first uke :)

haole
03-05-2013, 11:05 AM
I owned one for a while, but it wasn't my first. It was a good beater uke, and once I set it up decently it even sounded good! It's on indefinite loan to my cousin. Wouldn't mind another one, though!

MutinousDoug
03-05-2013, 12:59 PM
I have a chocolate Dolphin from Uke Republic. It goes in the car if I think I'm going to get stuck somewhere. My 1st one though was the Lanikai I bought for my daughter when she first had her kids. She gave it back to me to keep until they got old enough to have it around. Then my wife found an Airline "Victory" birch uke with a plastic fretboard for $5.00 at the Goodwill store (about what they cost new in 1952). In almost new condition and looked like original strings. It's red so I put red Aurora strings on it but it's mostly a wall hanger unless one of y'all can recommend some strings that might give this birch plywood some life. Volume and tone are pretty thin.
The oldest grand kid is 8 now and I taught her some chords when she was here last month so I'll be giving up the Lanikai and Dolphin soon. I'll be looking for a uke that can stand the desert air up here around Denver. Current humidity inside is 21%.

greyghost
03-05-2013, 01:48 PM
I just got a candy apple red one in January. It's my travel/throw in the car when I'll have a few extra minutes uke now, and it's already traveled with me from CT to Texas for a conference, where it worked wonders at reducing my pre-presentation anxiety. I still prefer my zebrawood tenor, but the dolphin is now in #2 territory.

generr
03-05-2013, 01:49 PM
I have a shiny black dolphin strung with Aquila's. I got it from Uke Republic around January of this year. Set-up was great, and delivery was timely.

To me, who has ~6 months of playing, it looks and sounds GREAT. I switch off with my entry-level Makala concert.

Pueo
03-05-2013, 02:18 PM
I have a Mainland Gecko. I wanted an ukulele that I could play at the beach or leave in the car and/or not cry if something happened to it. It now lives in my desk drawer at work. It was not my first ukulele...

haolejohn
03-05-2013, 03:11 PM
I have a few dolphins but they were not my first and actually I inherited them all from students. LOL! But they all came from UR.

Steedy
03-05-2013, 03:18 PM
I started with a Red Dolphin and thought it was fun, but never really appreciated it until one of my grand-daughters made a video of me playing it. When I saw the video I was amazed at the sound of the thing! Since then, I've bought several more and given a few away. I've found they look good in every color, and they're all cute and fun to play. However, each one sounds and plays slightly different, and some are better than others, especially when it comes to intonation. A good setup is essential for them.

Here are my top three Dolphins, all purchased from Uke Republic and set up just for me:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b362/slawson3/009-4.jpg

The Red Burst sounds clear and bright, with excellent intonation. The Blue Metallic sounds more mellow, also with good intonation. Intonation isn't as good on the Yellow one, but it's hella loud. I hear MGM does a great setup on Dolphins, but I think it's hard to beat Uke Republic when it comes to Dolphin ukes. Thanks Mike! (Thanks to all you Mikes that is) :)

connor013
03-05-2013, 03:20 PM
I had one to play at school/loan to students. I played it at school; I loaned it to a student; she sat on it.

It's neck awaits a new life on an upcoming Frankenuke build.

Manalishi
03-05-2013, 10:55 PM
Not my first,but my second,its a Red Burst
Dolphin and is my 'go anywhere' uke!

DaleR
03-05-2013, 11:01 PM
Not my first, nor my second, but I have a black one, from Uke Republic!

ukuhippo
03-05-2013, 11:10 PM
Started with one, stille have one.
A poll would be nice with this thread.

ukuLily Mars
03-06-2013, 12:50 PM
My first and thus far only 'uke, metallic blue, and her name is Fifi Bonne-Soirée. :D I learned to play on this 'uke, and we've travelled all over. Here we are in Miami in January:

I dd not buy her from you, Mike, but I wish I had! I think I lucked out but a good set-up would have been much better. I'm working toward getting a higher quality in the next few months, but I enjoy my Bluekulele!

Lori
03-06-2013, 06:05 PM
I own 3 dolphin ukes (2 for vendor booth demos and teaching), and one for autographs. I have given as gifts 9 dolphins. They weren't my first ukes, but they serve a good purpose.

–Lori

pdxuke
03-06-2013, 06:15 PM
Purple, Red, Yellow, and my first:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=46754&d=1356569898

dhoenisch
03-07-2013, 03:37 AM
I read about all the hype on these ukes on this site, so when I saw a discounted blem at SamAsh on the cheap, I picked it up. I got it home, performed a full set-up and new strings, and any time I picked it up to play it, I kept thinking... "I don't get it." I have never liked the sound of it. I played other floor models in case I got a dud, but I haven't found a one I liked yet.

I eventually had to get it out of my house and gave the dolphin to my niece who loves it, so no loss on that one.

Dan

Sporin
03-07-2013, 03:39 AM
We see a lot go out our doors. For some I know it's their first ukulele and for others it;s another addition to the pod.

I have one that I bought for my son but mostly it was for me as a travel uke. i really like it and very often by pass my more expensive Islander to play the Dolphin as I love the sound it makes with the Martin 600 strings, so bright and happy. It is the uke I'll take to the beach with me in May.

petersull
03-07-2013, 04:25 AM
I have a black one, and it is my first. Got from highly strung in the uk. It sounds great, I do want to get a concert soon when I get better. Makala should do a concert dolphin.

bnolsen
03-07-2013, 04:52 AM
I read about all the hype on these ukes on this site, so when I saw a discounted blem at SamAsh on the cheap, I picked it up. I got it home, performed a full set-up and new strings, and any time I picked it up to play it, I kept thinking... "I don't get it." I have never liked the sound of it. I played other floor models in case I got a dud, but I haven't found a one I liked yet.

I eventually had to get it out of my house and gave the dolphin to my niece who loves it, so no loss on that one.

Dolphins are cheap, and generally playable. And they're fun with the dolphin bridge and all the color options. IMHO they don't do well side by side soundwise against ukes that cost 2x or more. The sound of the plastic dolphin I have is pretty dead. It *does* have a rounded fretboard some people may like (I personally prefer flat).

I guess a dolphin is a "bare minimum standard" anyone can play. I wouldn't mind a pink or baby blue burst to go with my yellow burst.

wolfchs
03-07-2013, 06:10 AM

It's my "take everywhere with me uke" Last summer I took her to Key West.
Next month, I'm taking her to Manila!
Mina :o

Steedy
03-07-2013, 07:32 AM
Nice photos, we should turn this into a show-us-your-dolphins thread! :cool:

pdxuke
03-07-2013, 04:59 PM

Dan

Too bad you did not buy one set up by MGM. Mike knew how to make those things hum. Action lowered, frets filed--I'm telling you, those pink and purple dolphins I own sing.

CountryMouse
03-08-2013, 05:17 PM
It was my second ukulele. My first ukulele was a Mahalo, whose action was way too high. Within 2 weeks I had my first Dolphin, bought from MGM and set up by him. :) Since then I've added three more Dolphins to my ukulele family! My first one is one of the earlier models--all laminate wood. It's a Pearl White. The next two I got are the "burst" colours (pink burst, green burst) and have plastic sides and back with a laminate wood top. The last one I got is a blue metallic sparkle one; and for some reason it feels heavier than the others and has a deeper tone. I wonder what's different?

CountryMouse

CountryMouse
03-08-2013, 05:24 PM
I'll be looking for a uke that can stand the desert air up here around Denver. Current humidity inside is 21%.

How about a Flea or a Fluke? With the plastic fretboard, that is.

CountryMouse

bnolsen
03-08-2013, 06:35 PM
in denver pretty much anything laminate is safe. We're not desert, just high prairie. i have a dolphin that's just fine. fluke as well. At guitar center they just leave out the lanakai laminates and they do just fine.

PTOEguy
03-08-2013, 08:35 PM

CountryMouse

I second the motion - flea works great in the high desert (salt lake city) But don't let that stop you - I humidified my whole house when I got my solid wood ukes and I'm finding that I don't have as dry a skin, and my daughter doesn't get nosebleeds anymore

MutinousDoug
03-09-2013, 07:56 AM

CountryMouse

I am not enamored with the flea/Fluke shapes or paint schemes but I am impressed by the tone of yours in your 2010 review on YouTube. Very nice; I'll make a point of trying them out if I ever find one.

Doug

CountryMouse
03-09-2013, 09:53 AM
I am not enamored with the flea/Fluke shapes or paint schemes but I am impressed by the tone of yours in your 2010 review on YouTube. Very nice; I'll make a point of trying them out if I ever find one.

Doug

I'm sure music stores have them in stock. Try one before buying. Which review? I have two Flukes and two Fleas. :)

CountryMouse

tigersister
03-09-2013, 11:15 AM
We have two Dolphins in our household. One is my daughter's black sparkle ordered off Amazon. We really lucked out with that one; it has good intonation, decent volume, and sweet voice. The other is a red burst I purchased at a local shop, so I could take a uke to the beach or leave it in the car. It was the best sounding of the bunch, but it can't touch the black one. It's more muted and sounds plasticy. While Dolphins are not my first choice of instruments to go to when I want to play, they are lot's of fun.

bodhran
03-09-2013, 11:45 AM
Two in our household. I started with a green dolphin which I gave to my grandson and missed it so much i bought another one. My dolphin was purchased and set up by highly strung and I have fitted living water strings.

iDavid
03-09-2013, 11:50 AM
We have four in my house, one for each person in the family. We also lend the out to friends wanting to give uke a try. I am planning to bring my to work in a few weeks.

MutinousDoug
03-09-2013, 12:10 PM
I'm sure music stores have them in stock. Try one before buying. Which review? I have two Flukes and two Fleas. :)

CountryMouse

The review I referred to had you playing a Fluke covered in hybiscus flowers.

Denver Folklore Center carries Flukes and I've been meaning to go over there for about 4 years now but it's 40 miles on the opposite side of town. I need a real motivator to make the trek such as having no ukes to play other than this Airline on the wall.50006

CountryMouse
03-09-2013, 02:29 PM
The review I referred to had you playing a Fluke covered in hybiscus flowers.

Denver Folklore Center carries Flukes and I've been meaning to go over there for about 4 years now but it's 40 miles on the opposite side of town. I need a real motivator to make the trek such as having no ukes to play other than this Airline on the wall.50006

Ah, okay. That's my Island Design Fluke that was special made for me. I wanted that design but it wasn't being made anymore. Flea Market Music found a "second" top of that design in their factory and made a uke with it for me. I had my choice of wood for the neck. The blemishes on the top are hardly noticeable, as I said in the video.

I think the strings I had on it at the time were Hilo Black Nylon. At present I have Ko'olau Mahana strings on it. I still haven't found the exact strings I want. But that's the fun, too, trying new things. :)

CountryMouse