hiding it from the *other half*

bnolsen

Reaction score
Okay, I have to confess, for Christmas I got myself a concert fluke, a good deal at the time. So it's more than 2 months later and I haven't told the other half. I keep the fluke stashed on top of some cabinets and play it sometimes when she's not in the vicinity. Well, I also keep it out of sight of the rug rats as well. I still mostly play the kid's ukes, they're laying around all over the place anyways and always want to be tuned up and played when they want to be picked up.

So I guess I've gone more than 2 months having this one without the other half knowing. I guess the best way to deal with this is just to play it some day when she's around and see if she says anything.

Oh yeah and I have a new bari coming in the mail too, a deal i couldn't pass up.

Any suggestions, other stories?

Sorry, I was expecting something else.

I'll be moving along.

most non uker spouses wont notice if you got more than 3 ukes....they all look the same if you get the standard shape and color...LOL

What works for me with bamboo flyrods is to have one beat up rod tube, out empty, back full. When eventually discovered, alibi it off with some impromptu explanation about a 'good deal'. Gets kinda' quiet for awhile. I think she caught on long ago.
R

Okay, I have to confess, for Christmas I got myself a concert fluke, a good deal at the time. So it's more than 2 months later and I haven't told the other half. I keep the fluke stashed on top of some cabinets and play it sometimes when she's not in the vicinity. Well, I also keep it out of sight of the rug rats as well. I still mostly play the kid's ukes, they're laying around all over the place anyways and always want to be tuned up and played when they want to be picked up.

So I guess I've gone more than 2 months having this one without the other half knowing. I guess the best way to deal with this is just to play it some day when she's around and see if she says anything.

Oh yeah and I have a new bari coming in the mail too, a deal i couldn't pass up.

Cowboy up!

I just told hubby I'm on a wait list for a custom. He didn't bat an eye.

you'd better tell her. maybe do it by making up a song and playing it on the uke to confess

You could always claim that it came together with the bari, but it's a slippery slope. In my case, she has her hobbies, I have mine. :) Honesty is usually best (although not always easiest in the short run, it tends to also be simplest in the long term), so I'd just mention it to her.

I've purchased quite a few ukes without telling my husband. I wasn't hiding it from him, I just never felt the need to tell him. He doesn't tell me about every kiting related purchase he makes because I'm just not interested. He's not too interested in my ukes, so I just don't talk about them. I would sell off some of my own things and have a paypal balance, or use my own personal money from gifts to fund them, so I never had a credit card or debit charge to explain. Months would go by before he'd notice and say "Is that another new ukulele?" to which I'd respond "Well, I've had it for a few months. Have you not seen this one before?" I'm guessing they all look the same to him. The same wouldn't apply to guitars, though! He'd definitely notice a new one, in which case I'd have some explaining to do.

most non uker spouses wont notice if you got more than 3 ukes....they all look the same if you get the standard shape and color...LOL

So, far it's been working for me. I think my luck's about to run out, because I'm expecting a baritone in the next couple of days & she may be the one that's home to sign for it. She'll be curious about what's in a box that size. I just had a birthday & she gave me cash for a gift. So, I'll probably tell her it's my present, -----. Actually, it is my birthday present, so no problem.

Can you say "precious gems"?
Presented with a love song on your new Fluke?

Don't spring both new ones on her at once. Try the concert -vs- soprano line. Then if that works the deep tone of a baritone.

BTW once you hit #4 they become "all those ukes" which mean she stopped counting. Then you got the green light!

Man up.

Quit making your wife the bad guy.

Always good to own up. So many other (more important things) affected when trust is gone.

bit different to you , wife bought me concert uke for xmas, and when she went out i used to play it, still haven't told her,
in your case learn her favourite song and serenade her with it, make a little speech before you play song, saying how you bought it to play it especialy for her, and how much you love her,

:confused:

Yeah...we all joke around from time to time about "hiding" our UAS slip-ups but the OP sounds serious and that means that there are so many replies I want to make to this post - but at least half of them probably sound sexist or something now days.

So, I'll only say this. I've been married 35 years next month. I've never really tried to hide a purchase from my wife and I can't even imagine living that long with someone who I felt I needed to hide a purchase from (or who I felt I needed her permission to spend my own money any blessed way I see fit short of on other womenses). And lest that sound sexist, it works the other way, too. 'nuff said.

John

You're never going to be able to really enjoy it as long as you have to keep it hidden with bottled up guilt. And you're only going to make yourself look worse the longer you wait.

Something else to consider, she may already know about it and is waiting for you to come clean.

Hey, how angry could she possibly become, right? Likely she'll forgive you at some point. Possibly be angrier that you didn't trust her to react well than that you bought a uke.

Can't speak re your marriage, but this would not be a good approach for our relationship at our place.

Well, it's not like you're hiding a custom worth a few thousand. Serenade her with the fluke and offer to teach her.

But I don't hide purchases unless it's my husband's birthday present. Just saying.

Top Bottom