NTD / New tool day

Good move. make sure you tighten the two collars that connect the drum to the motor after you've run it a bit. Not doing so will cause premature wear and frequent replacement of "spiders" (the rubber bushing that goes between the two.) After five years I've replaced the conveyor belt but other than that it's been a daily work horse for me and perfect for my shop.

fun!

I'll be getting my 'new tool day' score sometime next week. A new sander coming my way too!

Cheers!

Enjoy your sander!

Good move. make sure you tighten the two collars that connect the drum to the motor after you've run it a bit. Not doing so will cause premature wear and frequent replacement of "spiders" (the rubber bushing that goes between the two.) After five years I've replaced the conveyor belt but other than that it's been a daily work horse for me and perfect for my shop.

Thank you Chuck thats good to know

Does anyone have a good source for purchasing a 16/32? Is there a good online company to buy from? Or do you buy locally.
Ken

I got this one at Wood craft they had a good sale going until 3/11/13 it was just about the same price as the 10-20

Last edited:
I think the Woodcraft sale is 15% off of the Jet (Performax) sander.

(When it comes to some tools I'm going smaller, not bigger. I just bought a 3" Proxxon mini chop saw. Perfect for cutting braces and other small bits.)

I think the Woodcraft sale is 15% off of the Jet (Performax) sander.

(When it comes to some tools I'm going smaller, not bigger. I just bought a 3" Proxxon mini chop saw. Perfect for cutting braces and other small bits.)

That reminds me of something.. another way for getting absolute tight plate joints.... is.. with the Festool circle saw and rail system. I would never have guessed it, but the shop next door uses one for joining large pieces of shop cut veneer (usually surfaced to about 0.080") it cuts dead clean! This system would work very well for instrument plates. And, its a super handy tool for cutting any sort of straight line. When you see it, if you have never seen it in the flesh, you will guess 'no way'. Gotta see it work to believe it. Over and over, dead tight joints.

I'm planning to take advantage of the sale too, but I'm on the fence between the 10-20 vs the 16-32. The 10 should be big enough for tenor tops, but the larger one would possibly be more useful all aound. Hmmmm.

For my money, I'd go larger. I had a 10/20 for several years, and while I built a lot of instruments with it, switching to a twin drum sander at 26" wide was an absolute dream. Mine is fixed at both ends too so the effects related to a cantaliver system are moot.

The disadvantage of the cantilevered system on the Jet is that the outboard side wants to spread up under load. Sure you can spend some time getting it set up just so, and have work arounds by flipping the stock going through etc. Heck, I learn't all the tricks when I was using mine every day.

But when you go wider those variations are much less noticeable.

Does anyone have a good source for purchasing a 16/32? Is there a good online company to buy from? Or do you buy locally.
Ken

I would keep an eye out on Craig's List. I bought mine from a guy in Boston for 450.00 It came with three boxes of sandpaper rolls. One box had one roll missing...It was on the sander.

I swapped for a 10/20 a few years ago. Its such a toy that I seldom use it. At H&D we have an old twin drum Performax and a Timesaver, so I take all my personal stuff to work early and do it there. The wide belt Timesaver is a dream machine, but I'll never have one. It wouldn't even fit in my shop, and I probably wouldn't live long enough to do enough work to pay it off. The Performax drums load up the abrasive with any resinous wood, but only cocobolo loads up the wide belt. We keep belts on hand just for cocobolo now that we use a lot of it.

But having said that, back in the day I had a Performax drum that attached to a radial arm saw. It ran off the saw motor and used the column adjustment for depth. It loaded the abrasives readily and had no power feed, but it was miles ahead of having no thickness sander at all.

If you do most of your drum/wide belt sanding at about 20 to 30 degrees to the grain, you'll get less loading. Also, cloth backed belts and drum strips respond pretty well to power washing. There's also a strange but wonderful system (expensive...) for blasting sanding belts with dry ice. Taylor does this. As anyone with a substantial sized wide belt sander knows...the belts are really expensive.

I have a 'barn door' fixture, a hinged piece of plywood on an exterior wall, to hold the belts while washing. I powerwash them when necessary. I sand a lot of Cocobolo also. It does fine to 80 grit, OK to 100, and starts loading at 120.

Yes, the belts cost a bit to buy, (though for the SDM-15 belts are about $18 each, not expensive) but I do not really notice the cost as they last quite a while as long as I do not burn one through operator error.

These tools MAKE money. Shop time is valuable, should be well in excess of $1/minute for tasks other than 'sweeping the floor'.

Last edited:
I use that for saw blades, works well. Thyat stuff is so toxic, I use it as little as possible. Not sure I would use it for belts due to the nasty fumes, and cost really. Powerwash works well

Top Bottom