Is there a 'definitive' thread comparing string tone/sound?

ChaosToo

Reaction score
I've spent the last hour Googling this topic to no avail - so am I just being a bit dumb (or too tired after a long late shift?)

I have Aquilas on my Soprano and Tenor, and Clifford Essex 'mediums' on my Concert.

I have not personally tried any other types of string, and despite spending hours listening to various sound clips, and even longer trying to read around the subject, I still haven't come to any definitive answer as to what best describes the numerous types/makes that are available - as each description seems to differ depending on the particular sales blurb.....

What I want to know is where the various types of string fall in the 'bright/warm/dark' ladder, to give me a starting reference, if such a thing exists.

I know it's all about personal taste, but a few general pointers would be of great help.

:D

there are all kinds of String Junkies on the UU..what kind of ukes are you playing and what kind of wood..you should be getting all kinds of suggestions soon..maybe search Strings if you can not wait..

Btw in am a string junkie..Lol

there are all kinds of String Junkies on the UU..what kind of ukes are you playing and what kind of wood..you should be getting all kinds of suggestions soon..maybe search Strings if you can not wait..

Btw in am a string junkie..Lol

Cheapo Mahalo Soprano - laminate 'mahogany' - Aquilas - bright, but strings a bit floppy/loose

Aria Concert - solid mahogany - Clifford Essex 'Ground Nylon' medium gauge - really warm sound, easy to fret due to the nice low action, but a bit harsh on my fingers (although I'm geting used to that - at least the friction on the strings makes for positive finger positioning)

Clearwater Tenor - composite roundback, solid spruce top - Aquilas - very bright - maybe a bit too bright - could be down to the spruce top. A bit of a slippy feel to them.

Looking forward to some more responses - it makes really interesting reading ........

try some Fremont Blacklines or PHD's..the Aquillas' one of the brightest strings out there..and they are kind of soft also

good luck

Heh, heh...as soon as you throw that nasty word "definitive" into your question the answer has to be, "no."

Heh, heh...as soon as you throw that nasty word "definitive" into your question the answer has to be, "no."

LOL - I know - I'm just fishing for as many words of wisdom as I can.......

I am starting to think that maybe Aquilas aren't to my taste (I only bought them for the soprano as they seem to be at the first ones folk recommend - and they came on the tenor as standard).

I want to try something a little thinner (physically - if such a beast exists), as I seem to find fretting the thinner strings is far easier, with a warmer (darker?) sound - and I certainly want to try a low G on my new tenor at some point, but the choice on the market is really mind blowing!

There's a database somewhere. Seriously.

The majority of your fluorocarbon strings are thin comparing them to Nylgut (Aquila) or Nylon (D'Addario, Ko'olau, Hilo, GHS). I think more people favor fluoros (Worth, Freemont, Orca, PhD, Martin & LWS) and there are those who like combos of fluoro & wounds (Southcoast). Also there are those who prefer to use classical guitar sets (Savarez, D'Addario, Augustine). Finding a string set you like can be daunting and rewarding when you find that one set that feels good, easy to play and lastly sounds good.

LOL - I know - I'm just fishing for as many words of wisdom as I can.......

I am starting to think that maybe Aquilas aren't to my taste (I only bought them for the soprano as they seem to be at the first ones folk recommend - and they came on the tenor as standard).

I want to try something a little thinner (physically - if such a beast exists), as I seem to find fretting the thinner strings is far easier, with a warmer (darker?) sound - and I certainly want to try a low G on my new tenor at some point, but the choice on the market is really mind blowing!

Aloha,
For something thinner than Aquilas, I suggest Martin 600 Flouros, it sounds sweeter too and easier on the fingers. For tenors low g, Southcoast is my go to strings. I like their flatwound set for feel, balance and sound, also no squeaks at all. Same for my 5 string and 6 string ukes.
Try as many sets as you can (afford). Draw your own conclusions, it's part of the fun of learning your taste...............Bo................

If you want thinner, try Martin M600's or Worth clear mediums (CM). Either will also sound a little "clearer" than the Aquila strings. Nylgut strings are very "forgiving" in that they seem to intonate decently up the neck on any uke that isn't actually defective and sound great for what they were developed for (sounding like gut) - but if gut isn't the sound you're aiming for there are many other choices out there and on most ukes the first thing I'd try is fluorocarbon.

John

To my mind, that is the exact description of Worth BMs. They make a lighter gauge -- BLs -- but I think the trade-off is that deep, mellow tone.

It's all subjective, but if it's any help I was a Worth browns fanboy until I started using Southcoasts. What you lose in bass you more than make up for in clarity. Just one opinion, of course.

Welcome to the world of string junkies. And I hope you are successful in your search.

I have a very high quality lightly built koa tenor that I have not fallen in love with, and after trying many sets, the best set seem to be the Southcoast soft mediums (high g). My Pono tenor, comparatively heavily built, sound really great with Worth Browns, with a nice mellow low g tone. Southcoast strings sound good on my concerts too (high g)

Top Bottom