NUD - Custom Mako Tenor

cigarfan

Reaction score
My very first NUD!

:smileybounce:

I'm certainly a novice at ukulele but have dabbled in a few stringed instruments in my time. My hope is to become proficient at the ukulele so I decided rather than starting with a beginner piece, I'm committed to learning so, why not get a nice one. Kinda the same way I feel about guitars.

Today I hold a beautiful new Custom Mako Tenor Ukulele handcrafted on the island of Maui by luthier Dennis Kato. Dennis is one of Hawaii’s many ukulele builders and is making 8-10 ukuleles per year. Hey with a name like Dennis, he's gotta be good right? (yes, my name is Dennis too!) This uke was just completed in February 2013. It is absolutely stunning to look at and sonically very crisp and balanced tones all the way up the neck. Excellent volume and sustain. A sound that rings true "Hawaii"!

I didn't get any build specs with the instrument but this paragraph from the website describes the features. It did come with a very nice hardshell case.

This gorgeous Custom Mako "Shark" Tenor Ukulele is handcrafted of quarter-sawn curly Hawaiian Koa wood top, back and sides. The instrument boasts a Macassar Ebony fretboard, bridge, and headstock veneer with Brazilian Ebony fingerboard binding. Solid Maui-grown mahogany wood neck and graphite rod insert for added stability and sustain. The top and back binding is crafted with Maui-grown Robusta Eucalyptus wood. The fretboard is radiused at 20" for smooth play up and down the neck and a better wrist angle for playing. Paua shell fretboard position markers with a ‘shark eye’ marker at fret 17, soundboard Paua Abalone shell purfling, and a special shark headstock inlay. Paua Abalone shell inlay on fretboard and headstock. Paua Abalone shell and mother-of-pearl in the triple-bound rosette. Unique Mako shark ‘tail’ slotted-headstock with professional Gotoh slotted-headstock machine tuners for precise tuning. Maui deer antler nut and saddle and a high-gloss finish. The lower bout has also been domed to a radius of approximately 25'. Spanish heel construction at the base of the neck.

Soundclips: Nope (I'm not very good at it ... yet)

And the UAS causing pictures ....

Attachments

• 2013-Mako-Tenor-01uu.jpg
    2013-Mako-Tenor-01uu.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 2013-Mako-Tenor-04uu.jpg
    2013-Mako-Tenor-04uu.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 55
  • 2013-Mako-Tenor-05uu.jpg
    2013-Mako-Tenor-05uu.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 2013-Mako-Tenor-06.jpg
    2013-Mako-Tenor-06.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 2013-Mako-Tenor-07.jpg
    2013-Mako-Tenor-07.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 41
And some additional pictures ....

And some additional pictures ....

Attachments

• 2013-Mako-Tenor-08.jpg
    2013-Mako-Tenor-08.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 2013-Mako-Tenor-09.jpg
    2013-Mako-Tenor-09.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 2013-Mako-Tenor-10.jpg
    2013-Mako-Tenor-10.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 2013-Mako-Tenor-11.jpg
    2013-Mako-Tenor-11.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 2013-Mako-Tenor-12.jpg
    2013-Mako-Tenor-12.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Yes, quite the beater....lol. I posted over on UTGF but that is one sa-weeeet little axe!!! Congrats and you scheduled it just right for the snow day we are having, darn guess you'll just have to stay in all day and just play it.....;)

Yes, quite the beater....lol. I posted over on UTGF but that is one sa-weeeet little axe!!! Congrats and you scheduled it just right for the snow day we are having, darn guess you'll just have to stay in all day and just play it.....;)

Yup ... that's the plan! I just love it when things just fall together like this. WooHoo!

Wow absolutely gorgeous. What I'd do for something like that.

Zowie! I have seen Makos on Ukulele Friend's site and admired them. Not every slotted headstock is appealing to me, and some seem a bit overdone, but this is really tasteful and classy. Do please put up a sound file as soon as you can!

so beautiful Dennis. Congratulations and thanks for the pics. Great idea to start with something lovely and great sounding, hopefully it will motivate you to play even more and help you to make rapid progress. cheers mate!

Congratulations on the new uke! That wood is beautiful, and the headstock is very cool. Happy strumming (or fingerpicking...)!

Wow, man. Just wow.

That joint on the bottom -- end graph, maybe? -- is fantastic, and I've never seen a fretboard border quite like that -- under the frets and all. Stunning work, and a really cool aesthetic.

Well done, Dennis. She's a keeper, for sure.

Congrats.

Top Bottom